Depression in low income and uninsured people

I've never done this before so forgive me if I'm not doing this correct. I am struggling hard with my depression and theres nothing I can do but sit here all night and feel completely trapped. I was finally starting to get through everything and have a semi normal life as a mother with 2 kids. Then on April 27 completely out of the blue my grandmother EVICTS me from my home and tells me and my family of 4 that we have 30 days to get out. This wasnt even a legal eviction just a typed up letter. since then my depression has gotten worse and worse. I cant control it. I cant get help for it because I dont have insurance. My life is completely crashing and I'm afraid I'm going to drag everyone down with me. 

I don't know how it is where you are.  Where I live I haven't paid for a doctor's appointment in years.  If your income is below a certain level they have a program that pays for your appointment so it's free and you can get medication samples from the doctor so here you can have absolutely nothing and get help.  There might be programs like this where you live.

3 hours ago, Spressler712 said:

I've never done this before so forgive me if I'm not doing this correct. I am struggling hard with my depression and theres nothing I can do but sit here all night and feel completely trapped. I was finally starting to get through everything and have a semi normal life as a mother with 2 kids. Then on April 27 completely out of the blue my grandmother EVICTS me from my home and tells me and my family of 4 that we have 30 days to get out. This wasnt even a legal eviction just a typed up letter. since then my depression has gotten worse and worse. I cant control it. I cant get help for it because I dont have insurance. My life is completely crashing and I'm afraid I'm going to drag everyone down with me. 

Hi Spressler712. I'm very sorry to hear what has happened. Depression is terrible already, so being evicted makes it a lot worse. I think it's best to take one step at a time, so I'll ask you this first: Do you have anywhere else to stay right now? If not, it's a priority to try and find somewhere, if possible.

I hope you'll be ok, and you can message me if you need someone to talk to, even though I may not have the best advice.

Welcome to DF! Sorry that you are going through all that. I've heard that legal eviction can take a long time. So maybe that is an option. I don't know your relationship with your grandma but her actions seem pretty harsh. Maybe you can talk things over with her and ask for more time or ask her to do it legally. We will support you as best we can. You are not alone.

BW

3 hours ago, BeyondWeary said:

Welcome to DF! Sorry that you are going through all that. I've heard that legal eviction can take a long time. So maybe that is an option. I don't know your relationship with your grandma but her actions seem pretty harsh. Maybe you can talk things over with her and ask for more time or ask her to do it legally. We will support you as best we can. You are not alone.

BW

Agreed.  What was the reason for the eviction?

• 2 years later...

So sorry to hear you are going through this terrible experience.  Perhaps we understand better than anyone in your life how crippling crises are in depression, and how the depression magnifies the power of the crisis exponentially.

That said, there is hope.  As a doctor (not a psychiatrist), I spend a couple days a month volunteering at a homeless shelter downtown.  I do it because I love it, but also 45 hours of volunteer practice per year are required to keep my license in my jurisdiction.  It is like that most places, from what I hear. I am not saying you have dropped to the level of needing a homeless shelter, but most of them have a broader focus than that and are glad to help in transient emergencies like this.  

Many churches and other houses of faith also have in-house community medical programs.  My church has a nurse manager on call 24/7 who does pastoral visits and arranges for community care - including touching base with all the relevant aid agencies, finding physicians who need to work off their pro-bono hours, etc.  She works with everyone in need, not just members.  I know you are too exhausted even to think about calling around right now to find a program like this.  Call one good friend and have them do it.

Finally, depending on what medications you may need, some are absurdly cheap at places like Costco.  Add in a GoodRX membership, and I pay like $4 per month for one of mine.  

There is hope.  We are pulling for you.  I am praying for you.  No pretty words will make this time feel better right now, but putting one foot in front of the other has a momentum all its own.

Edited by BoricuaGato
Important details

• 1 month later...

I am very sorry that you are going through such a difficult situation. As a person with chronic depression, I can say that any difficulties go away, and with time and treatment, it becomes easier.