Kiska

Going from 10mg to 20mg of lexapro

Hi everyone I have been on Lexapro for a little bit over a year. I started with the 5 mg and  stayed with it for probably six months and then my doctor decided to bump me up to 10 mg and it was okayand  I felt better.  Now she wants to bump me up to 20mg  and I'm a little bit scared because my initial reaction and side effects when I started  Lexapro were horrible I thought I was dying for a whole week. Can you please tell me if you any of you had bad side effect? 

Thanks

Kiska

I've not been on Lexapro.  However, everytime I've increased the dosage of an anti depressant I've had side effects.  Typically agitation.  I think it is a good sign that you went from 5 to 10 without too much trouble and some improvement. Is there a specific reason why your doctor wants to increase your dose?

On 5/17/2019 at 11:36 PM, Kiska said:

Hi everyone I have been on Lexapro for a little bit over a year. I started with the 5 mg and  stayed with it for probably six months and then my doctor decided to bump me up to 10 mg and it was okayand  I felt better.  Now she wants to bump me up to 20mg  and I'm a little bit scared because my initial reaction and side effects when I started  Lexapro were horrible I thought I was dying for a whole week. Can you please tell me if you any of you had bad side effect? 

Thanks

dying how? it might have made you more anxious ?? it can do that..when you bump up the dosage or just start it..many medications have that effect. is that what you mean? the first few days i had more anxiety than usual when i first took it and i remember because i was scared, but my doctor told me it was normal..but im not sure what you mean by dying? what kind of effects?

years ago lexapro worked for me i loved it..but then it stopped :cry:good luck!!

I was just put on Lexapro a week ago.  My psychiatrist had me do 2.5mg (half of a 5mg) for a week and then today i started on 5mg which will be for another week and then go to 10mg.  My anxiety is through the roof.  If I even talk about the things that have been making me panic, I may laugh b/c at this point even I am seeing it as illogical (moreso than my usual panics).  This is miserable and I cannot imagine going from 10mg to 20mg.  When you say you are dying, I get what you mean.  I cant describe it but if I had to its like a stroke, heart attack and suffocating all at once.  The only friend who relates is away on vacation and I found this forum today.  I am interested in hearing others experiences on the jump from 10mg to 20mg.  At this point, I dont know if I will make it to 10mg.

Chrissybee:

Moving on to these anti-depressants is such hard work and so often creates agitation.  I am not a doctor (needless to say) but I wonder if it would help to slow the increase; to spend more time on the 2.5 mg.  

I wish the drugs weren't as bad as the disease.  When they help they are literally lifesavers.  But it is so hard to find the right combination and the right dosage. 

Tim 

@Tim 52

I may take your advice and stick on 5mg for a bit. I have a short trip coming up in 3 weeks and really do not want to be away from home while suffering side effects of an increase and then I can continue when i get back. Thank you!!!

Anxiety/OCD have been a life long battle for me and finding the right med(s) has not been easy.

Thanks again!

On 5/21/2019 at 10:02 PM, chrissybee said:

Thank you! @Tim 52

Chrissybee, how has it been since you posted here?  Are you still at 10mg?   Did you move up to 20mg?   I am at 10mg of cipralex (lexapro) and may end up going up to 20mg but i would have to come off the Wellbutrin I am currently on (having some issues with it).   I tried a few years ago to go to the 20mg but I also had a lot of anxiety doing so and stayed at the 10mg.   I may try to go to 15mg if it comes to it.

1 hour ago, theguy said:

Chrissybee, how has it been since you posted here?  Are you still at 10mg?   Did you move up to 20mg?   I am at 10mg of cipralex (lexapro) and may end up going up to 20mg but i would have to come off the Wellbutrin I am currently on (having some issues with it).   I tried a few years ago to go to the 20mg but I also had a lot of anxiety doing so and stayed at the 10mg.   I may try to go to 15mg if it comes to it.

Hi, I actually ended up getting off of it completely. It did not work well for me. Wellbutrin was the only one I ever stayed on for a while but it eventually ended up causing me to have more anxiety. I am currently not on anything and instead just using Xanax as needed. My new therapist and psychiatrist are working wonders.

I have a friend that has been on Lex for almost a decade and loves it.