I have suffered from PTSD most of my life. Although, I might be laughing right now while thinking all those experiences. But, things were similar to hell during the time I was first diagnosed with PTSD.

Although, things are going a bit okay. But, I am afraid I might lose onto many things because of my condition. Some days back, a friend of mine suggested going for an emotional support dog. But, I am confused. Should I go for one? Or depend on medications for managing my condition.

Can anyone help?

Andrea, of course, as you know only you can make the decision that is right for you.  Having said that it is certainly is worth considering an emotional support dog.  If you explore, I encourage you to do some research about who to get one from.  Calling or talking to a veterinarian might be useful because they see these dogs as patients and know who breeds or trains the best.  

Same happened with me as well. Life was PTSD was actual hell for me. From loving college to throwing practically off everything away became a reality for me. I was terrified and nothing was working out.

But, my dog held my back, made me feel loved, resulting in transforming my medical condition and helping me live a fuller and happier life. You can definitely go for an emotional support dog. But, for that, you will need an emotional support dog registration. Ask your therapist for more information.

Dogs need routines.  He will have to get used to his new routine.  When we need to go to the bathroom we can any time we want but dogs have to rely on us to give them a chance to go.  He just met you and he's riding in a car with you to who knows where and his day was probably very stressful getting adopted so he was probably stressed out which will make dogs pee too.  He will be ok when he gets used to his new home and new routine.

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, Andrea Harris said:

Thank you all for your kind words. I got a terrier today. He peed on the way home but somehow i wasn't angry at him.

Andrea, well done.  It is not too hard to train your new terrier about such routines.   You didn't get upset.   Good job!

Sober's feedback is right on. 

Edited by Tim 52

On 5/15/2019 at 10:39 PM, Andrea Harris said:

Thank you all for your kind words. I got a terrier today. He peed on the way home but somehow i wasn't angry at him.

Hey that's fantastic! Well done!

The fact that you're calm with him means that you'll probably have a pretty easy time training him and getting him used to his new home. I'm sure he'll be a great help to you! (I'd love a therapy dog, but can't get one right now.)

Thank you everyone. Honestly i want to share this with you. Its just been a week and i honestly feel that this is helping. I dont know where my time goes when i am with him. And also he is now known as “Oreo” I know its not much time to actually know about the improvement, but this week has been more happening than i dont remember when. Anyways you guys should get one too. You will love it!