Sign in to follow this  
Kabuto

Freaking Depressed Tonight

Hi all,

I'm an artist and as such, I rely on services to make money.   One such service is "Patreon".   Basically, they're a highly useful creator platform.   However, they've recently raised their creator fee from 5% to 8%, for everyone who registers AFTER May 7th.   People who registered before get to keep the 5% rate.    So long story short, I missed the deadline.    And this is highly depressing because that money adds up, as someone who had been struggling financially.    Freaking depressing that I didn't find out about this before, and aggravating that they would make such a change.   Crap like this is depressing as heck. 

I get it.  I am an artist too.  I'm not sure how old you are, but I'm 45.  I remember when services like Go Fund Me and Patreon did not exist.  I remember when trying to reach an audience outside a very small geographical radius was near impossible; and to do so meant spending far more than 8% in marketing with absolutely no guarantees I would recoup that.  At least commission-based fees do not require a substantial up-front investment.

Yeah, 3% is a lot to someone working their tails off to put food on the table and a roof over their head.  But sometimes, we just need to be grateful for the things we do have.

Soooo... depressing... yes.  I do feel for ya.  I'm not trying to say you have no reason to get upset about it.  But for myself, I try to keep things like this in perspective.  By all means, get upset.  But then try to get past it and put your focus back on your work.

https://techcrunch.com/2019/03/19/patreons-new-fees-are-surprisingly-low/

You raise a fair point.   I am grateful these services exist.   However, even so, it can be difficult not to be incredibly frustrated with myself that I didn't find out just a few days earlier...   (Why do I blame myself?)

18 hours ago, Kabuto said:

Why do I blame myself?

Because that’s what depression does to us. Depression is anger turned inward.

Brace yourself... this will not be the last time you miss something important by a few days, or even a few hours. I cannot count the missed opportunities in my life. And that’s probably for the best. I have enough that I blame myself for. 😉 

It sucks. My whole life is a s**t show. (I love that phrase lol) And I know we can all say the same. But somehow we keep plugging along. To me, that means that there is some kind of hope that something makes sense to us. And I think that’s a good thing. Even if we don’t know what that thing is.