I'm sorry to hear how the fire has upset you, it upset me too and a lot of other people who live in France and other places. 

I visited Notre Dame about a week before the fire, I spent the entire day in the cathedral, the towers and crypt. It was amazing, awe-inspiring and I learned quite a bit about its history. 

Thankfully, the fire was contained, the building wasn't destroyed and it appears much or most of the artifacts and aesthetics weren't damaged or destroyed. It's surprising and rather encouraging how Notre Dame has survived the great wars, the revolution, the Enlightenment, neglect -- damaged and dilapidated at times but upright always.

When I learned of how much Notre Dame that's actually seen by people is from restorations done in the 19th century, it surprised me because I always thought of it as medieval. I guess I think it's better knowing this. That whatever renovations are necessary here in the 21st century, they'll be additions to all those done throughout its 800 year life. 

I hope you're feeling a little better about it.

1 hour ago, Atra said:

I'm sorry to hear how the fire has upset you, it upset me too and a lot of other people who live in France and other places. 

I visited Notre Dame about a week before the fire, I spent the entire day in the cathedral, the towers and crypt. It was amazing, awe-inspiring and I learned quite a bit about its history. 

Thankfully, the fire was contained, the building wasn't destroyed and it appears much or most of the artifacts and aesthetics weren't damaged or destroyed. It's surprising and rather encouraging how Notre Dame has survived the great wars, the revolution, the Enlightenment, neglect -- damaged and dilapidated at times but upright always.

When I learned of how much Notre Dame that's actually seen by people is from restorations done in the 19th century, it surprised me because I always thought of it as medieval. I guess I think it's better knowing this. That whatever renovations are necessary here in the 21st century, they'll be additions to all those done throughout its 800 year life. 

I hope you're feeling a little better about it.

Yeah, I know that a lot was actually saved and that old buildings are never really exactly as they were when first finished, but I guess it's just really sad anyway. I hope that the people in Paris are doing ok with it, since it's sort of like someone d**d to them, I should think.