Sign in to follow this  
MargotMontage

Wilful Ignorance in Non-Sufferers Regarding the Actual Nature of BPD

Hi everyone! I was wondering: is it just me, or does the general public assume, when they hear 'Borderline Personality Disorder', that what is meant by the diagnosis is actually something more akin to Sociopathy or Psychopathy?

There seems to be a huge stigma in the diagnosis, and people seem to feel like they can make value judgements and attach moral implications to this diagnosis. Even if the diagnosis were Sociopathy or Psychopathy, this isn't a fair way to approach it, but with BPD, it seems especially bigoted and cruel because, as far as I can see, BPD adversely affects the individual with the diagnosis way more than people who come into contact with them. And even if it did affect other people, there's no reason to be an ass about it, in my opinion. (I mean, nuerotypical folk aren't perfect, either.)

These are just my opinions, so I hope nobody is offended. Personally, I judge no one, but I'm not naive enough to think the general public is not judgmental.

I do think there can be a very negative stigma attached to Borderline Personal Disorder and I think you are right that some people confuse it with other mental illnesses like sociopathy.