malo

New to the Forums and Chiming In

Hello everyone,  I'm here looking for help, info, advice and anything that can help me get a handle on my depression ..which is serious at times.  I'm in a serious funk; have been for years but lately I've not been taking care of business and things are getting quite bad.  I hope to start therapy soon and get on a routine.  I have huge family of origin issues, the cause and remedy of which I believe I figured out some 30 + years ago, but the problem was never addressed properly.  I never did the work.  I know it's not likely that I will be able to intellectualize my way through it this time either so therapy is at the top of the list.  I know I have my work cut out for me.

Hi Malo and welcome to the Forums,

I am so sorry you are afflicted with depression.  It is such a brutal, brutal illness.  Hopefully these Forms will be of some use to you.  They have helped me a lot.

I hope you will write more about what is going on in your life.  I am not sure I really understood everything you said.  Maybe it is because I have a bad headache at the moment and just cant think clearly.  In any case . . . I'm happy to meet you!     - epictetus

Thanks Epictetus,

Yes, I guess I wasn't that clear and didn't give lots of detail.  Just feeling out the forum and will probably get more detailed once I figure out how best to use this site. 

Years ago I started reading John Bradshaw, M Scott Peck, Melody Beattie and others after watching some of Bradshaw's videos about toxic shame and how it is transferred from generation to generation by way of abuse and neglect.  My problem was I learned quite a bit about  it, but I chose to be a pseudo expert by reading lots about it and doing very little of the work that it takes to get better. 

Now, for a lot of reasons, I am experiencing much depression and it has been very hard for me to function at the level I need to be functioning at.  At times it's severe and literally paralyzing.  In the past I think, at most, I might have been dealing with a low grade depression.  Now it can be almost unbearable and that is why I'm scrambling around trying to figure the best way to go about this.  

Thanks again for you comments Epictetus.  

Welcome new friend to our awesome forum family.

We are here to help each other.

I invoke metaphors as a strategy to help find the way out of the depression cave.

My approach is to be as clever as possible with Old Man Depression because he definitely does not play fair.

Anyway , keep posting your concerns and make yourself at home here.

Oscar

Hi Oscar K,

I like your wording "depression cave".  In fact, I'm going to leave the D Cave right now and hit the gym.  While working out I'm going to brainstorm clever things that might help me deal with Old Man Depression.

Thanks for the welcoming post... 

One trick I find helpful is to metaphorically anchor myself outside my deep, dark , dangerous depression cave.

Sometimes I need to take temporary shelter inside myself but long-term residence is not a great idea.

Pumping iron is a fantastic investment in oneself that really annoys Old Man Depression.

Always here for support.

Oscar