new words stop racing thoughts

nojoy

The therapist recently suggest using  a word or phrase to stop my thoughts from bouncing from one negative thing to another. I tried telling myself to 'let it go'  but got that stupid song from the movie Frozen stuck in my head and 'stop' didn't work out because the cats thought I was talking to them.  I feel that if I could break the cycle of negative thoughts, I would start feeling better and be able to function like a normal person (whatever that is).

2 hours ago, nojoy said:

The therapist recently suggest using  a word or phrase to stop my thoughts from bouncing from one negative thing to another. I tried telling myself to 'let it go'  but got that stupid song from the movie Frozen stuck in my head and 'stop' didn't work out because the cats thought I was talking to them.  I feel that if I could break the cycle of negative thoughts, I would start feeling better and be able to function like a normal person (whatever that is).

Can you think of a word or phrase that you can associate with something that is meaningful or positive? 

A word/phrase in a meaningful song? From a special vacation? 

11 hours ago, nojoy said:

I tried telling myself to 'let it go'  but got that stupid song from the movie Frozen stuck in my head 

And yet that might be a better problem.

If you're looking to try a new distraction, there is one I use for managing anxiety: reciting a spelling alphabet. 

Alpha, bravo, charlie, delta, echo, foxtrot, golf, hotel, india, juliette, kilo, lima, mike, november, oscar, papa, quebec, romeo, sierra, tango, uniform, victor, whiskey, x-ray, yankee, zulu.

Learning a spelling alphabet takes time and that's really the point of it. Time spent struggling to remember what word goes to what letter is time not spent on habitual negative thinking. 

I have the same problems with negative thoughts, especially from the past almost dominating my current life to a degree.  Casting those out has been a project I have been working on with my therapist for a long time.  There are some good suggestions here.  I would like to dispose of them permanently if I can or just lock them away.  My friend mentioned hypnotherapy but I'm not sure it is for real, and it is extremely expensive.  Anyone tried it?

@Atra, tried the spelling alphabet.  I started spelling words and when I couldn't remember all the ones you wrote, I started making up my own. Unfortunately being a preschool teacher, I read a lot of Dr Suess, so some of the letters were Dr Suess words and I ended making myself laugh.:laugh:🤣 Thank you for the suggestion!

12 hours ago, nojoy said:

Unfortunately being a preschool teacher, I read a lot of Dr Suess, so some of the letters were Dr Suess words and I ended making myself laugh.:laugh:🤣<span><span><span><span><span><span>

🤣 That's FANTASTIC! Absurdity adds a bit of humor so now you got an opposite emotion working against the negative thoughts plus the distraction of the spelling alphabet. I'd like to adopt this, could you write out any of the Seuss words you can remember please? 

@Atra

Some of the Suess  words I remember are:

Asso-see-eye-ation,  Dill-ma-dilts,  Jibboo,  Klotz,  Lorax,  Nerkle,  Zizzer-zazzer-zazz, Oobleck,  Once-ler,  Nixie Knox, Phooey,  Rink-Rinker-Fink, Quacker-backer,  Leetches, Sneetches, Truffula trees, Whofoo fluff

I hid the Dr Suess books, after reading what felt like every book Dr Suess ever wrote, I don't want to read another one till next school year (that is if I can remember where I hid the 12 books in the classroom 🤣

One thing I try to think of is be like Darth Bane not the fallen Primarch Angron (Bane used the dominant strategy to succeed and Angron went from being forced to be a magic tool fairy to becoming super magic tool fairy).

One of my old therapists gave me this: "I am enough (4Xs), I can stay calm if I choose (4Xs), and I can relax (4Xs).  The four times I added on my own kind of because of four count breathing and several things that are important in my life had the number 4.