MightyMouse333

Can depression come from genetics?

Hello.

Not sure if anyone knows the question.... Getting alot of mixed results from the internet...

Can depression come from genetics? I was never like this until a few years ago noticing alot of changes. 

SOrry to bother you guys.... Just wanted an answer from a professional. 

Thanks,

A

I am not a professional - but I can affirm that depression definetly has a genetic factor. Some kinds of depression are caused by chemical issues in the brain caused my the lack of certain neuro tramsmittets. Just like hair and eye color - thos can have a gemetic component. That is not to say that all depression is the result of chemical imbalances. Environment can play a role as well. For example - my son is sensitive to sticky stuff on his hands. There is no compulsion to wash - he just does not like it. I do have some compulsion to wash. If gemetics were the only factor - it seems likely that the concern would be passed down. I conclude that both nature (genetics) and nurture (environmental).

3 hours ago, MightyMouse333 said:

Can depression come from genetics?

Absolutely...it runs in my family, all four of my siblings have dealt with it in some degree or another...

I think it's absolutely genetic. So many people in my mom's family have clinical depression, substance abuse or extreme obesity that causes a number of health issues. I've even heard that diabetes is connected to depression, and that runs in my family too.

I do believe there can be a genetic component, but I don't think it is ALWAYS genetic. People who have gone through severe trauma can develop depression whether they have the gene for it or not. Everyone has mental health, therefore everyone is capable of becoming mentally ill. 

Sorry for applying so late, but I think it's genetic. My dad has a bad case of bipolar ( well, I believe so) and I have similar episodes as he does.