Sign in to follow this  
JustAnotherSufferer

I’m sick of the anti-Christianity I see on other forums

I usually use many forums when it comes to depression. Most of them are sadly filled with likeminded people with the same political agenda and who despise Christianity. If you don’t want to believe in God then that’s fine, just don’t go and tell people who are believers that they are stupid because they’re not.

Im just sick of seeing the blatant propaganda I see on other bigger forums. 

Sorry if this is a bit off topic. 

I'm not religious but I would never call someone else's beliefs stupid, it's not like there is any 100% incontrovertible proof for any religion or atheism. Sadly many people are very closed-minded when it comes to religion or lack thereof and try to push their views and agenda onto others. Same goes for Christian propaganda though, it's not unusual for some believers to try to lecture non-believers with bible verses and telling them that they need to accept Jesus. 

To be honest I don't think religion  should matter much when talking about depression, it's an illness that does not discriminate, ANYONE, no matter what their beliefs or how good a person they are, how many friends they have, or how much money they have can be afflicted... 

I was raised strictly Catholic, though I may be a bit lapsed now... but if someone is depressed and not (yet) lapsed, I think attacking their religion is one of the worst things to do to them. Their beliefs and trust in God, no matter what you may think of it, are often just about the only thing that gets them through the day. Even if you consider religion as nothing more than a crutch, it's still not good to kick it out from under them and send them crashing to the ground.

(In any case, I am not anti-religious, but I believe there's a lot more to it than what we are taught in this world, or even capable of grasping in any practical sense.)

Posted (edited)

I'm not a person of faith, but that being said, I'm sorry you've had to experience the vitriol.

I can understand their position, unpalatable as it may be to you.  Many folk like me have been and continue to be hurt, often intentionally, by religious groups.  For me, the anger is valid.  However, indiscriminate trashing like that isn't appropriate.  Indeed I do have friends who are people of faith and to whom I'd never speak badly.

Much the same as I avoid venturing into religious environments, the best suggestion I have is to avoid those forums.  They're certainly not doing you any good from the sounds of it.

Edited by MarkintheDark

Any time someone feels the need to attack or even push religion of any kind it should be done in the correct space and any site dealing with depression is not it. It does not matter what ones beliefs are like any other illness mental illness does not care about your beliefs or race, and neither should those talking about it. If religion helps someone good for them, but that is between them and their beliefs.

I have to echo Mark's sentiment and just avoid them.

At first I thought you were talking about the violation of the TOS against proselytizing in the Faith Without Religion thread on the depression and religion board, and I was going to thank you for saying something.

Unfortunately, after reading a few members AND a moderator encouraging a lonely man to visit a prostitute (instead of taking healthy steps to form healthy attachments and not denigrate women in the process) in the thread I Hate Myself in Depression Central, I just assume complaining here about such things is moot, which is why I've kept my mouth shut.

My family are all Christian. Due to my own issues I've found it hard to have faith, so I guess I wouldn't call myself a Christian. However I've always envied people with faith. At the moment I find it hard to understand why there's so much suffering in the world, I guess if you have faith, all of that makes more sense, and life becomes more fair. 

I'd say those people that decide to hate on you're faith are ignorant, jealous, angry. And there's no place for people like that here. 

Sure I have my disagreements with religion. But there's a huge difference between expressing your opinion and wanting to put someone down. 

I can only imagine those people are very angry and bitter on the inside. 

Hold on to you're faith, I think it can be a very powerful thing to have. 

And I'd also second what Mark said, stay away from them. 

I agree with @MarkintheDark and @Soarsie18. I was raised Protestant and we were taught to live the Beatitudes from the Sermon on the Mount. Essentially, it's the Golden Rule of treating others with respect and dignity, as well as not doing people harm.

I now consider myself to be a Gnostic, after a long spell of atheism. I don't denigrate other people's belief systems. However, I will question people how their beliefs inspire hatred towards others (as @MarkintheDark related).

Was raised with no faith but I suppose I would be Protestant if I was born 100 years ago. My dad is an atheist but when I was about 11 I started going to church and my dad even went with me and was very supportive. I eventually stopped, and don't really believe but I've got a lot of respect for Christianity. 

What ive noticed the last 10 years it seems to be the in thing to mock Christianity. I personally don't think any religion should be exempt from critism but I find it irritating when people are trying to be edgy by mocking Christianity, because actually it's become socially acceptable to do so, certainly in my country England. 

In the church I used to attend, a lady found out that I suffer from, depression, she said God cursed me with this because I was weak in my faith. How she found I don't know. I no longer attend any church. I have faith but quit believing in prayer as my prayers were never answered.

The difficulty (as I see it) is in the belief that your beliefs are the only valid ones. That and insulting the beliefs of others. Religious (or nonreligious) people who can accept amd embrace the fact that there is ambiguity and uncertainty in all belief systems (even their own) can discuss their personal beliefs without trying to push them on others. For some of us - our faith is an important part of living their daily life and to expect to to not come up is unrealistic. It is part of how we deal with our illness. However, we need to be careful not to get preachy - cuz that is when non believers get, rightfully, annoyed. 😀

We’re all in this absurd world and life together, and we all have so many different beliefs. Think of all the world’s religions - the “big 5”, all of the sub-genres within the “big 5”, theism, atheism, and everything in between. What fascinates me is that in the end, isn’t the answer that only one is correct?  With that said, how can anyone be so sure his or her’s is correct?  But there’s beauty and compassion and a human bond in this uncertainty.  The key is to have your own belief or faith, and as passionate as you are about it, always know that your fellow human brothers and sisters are just as passionate for the hundreds of other religions and beliefs they have!  

I wont bore everyone with my spiritual beliefs, but I will share that I believe we’re all one day going to be able to share a common human laugh over the absurdity of this world. That’s what gets me through most days at least.  And coffee of course 😳

6 hours ago, Maai said:

What fascinates me is that in the end, isn’t the answer that only one is correct?  

I am not sure that this is true. Whay I think is that every belief has a piece of the truth. But the reality is that we cannot understand the whole on this plane of existance - so be passionate about your own beliefs and respect that there is truth is everyone else's belief too.

16 hours ago, JessiesMom said:

I am not sure that this is true. Whay I think is that every belief has a piece of the truth. But the reality is that we cannot understand the whole on this plane of existance - so be passionate about your own beliefs and respect that there is truth is everyone else's belief too.

I love that idea!  It would certainly seem to make more sense in the end!