Sign in to follow this  
FerryJerry

Therapist

At 1am last night I get a series of strange emails and text messages from my old therapist claiming to be from her room mate and it said that she went missing and that she was worried and had contacted the police

so I contacted the police too, I contacted her work place and then I just didn’t sleep because I care about her as I do with all people I know.

i stayed awake until 9am called her work place and they didn’t seem to know anything and then about an hour ago I get a message to say that she’s ok and just got lost. Apparently she didn’t take her phone with her and bag or anything.

im glad she’s ok but her phone is her phone she uses for work and therapy. Her friend contacted me by email, text and WhatsApp and I image she holds a lot of people’s confidential and personal information on that phone as that is where we would talk about issues and It really concerns me that other people could read her stuff and use her phone, the friend obviously read her emails etc to get my contact information to contact me in the middle of the night and that worried me and as you can imagine when you have a therapist you have an understanding that what you say is confidential and given that we still talk from time to time about issues I don’t know what to do.

i consider her a friend so I don’t want to report my concerns to anybody but at the same time I don’t know what to do in terms of talking to her about this but I am no longer sure if I want to continue talking when I can’t trust confidentiality. I am not sure if I still want her to process my information if anyone can go through her phone like that.

what should I do and am I being unreasonable ?

Jerry

imo, you're not being unreasonable at all.  Off the top of my head, Jerry, this would be concerning to me, particularly since you were contacted by this other "friend" via THREE platforms.  Like you, I'd be left wondering what other personal information this person has access to.  This is a complete stranger about whom you know nothing.

Speaking strictly for myself, whatever the relationship with a therapist, I'd dump her immediately and file a strong complaint.  Honestly, too, I'm the type who'd immediately cut off contact.  Personally, I'd be livid.

Obviously other folk here may have a different take.