Advertisement
  • Announcements

• Lindsay

A Reminder that we are a PG13 Site   12/09/2016

Please keep in mind that NO content can be posted that is not PG13!  No sexual content and definitely not images which is not permitted in a post! We will delete it.  Not even memes or humorous images should be posted, if you want these forums to continue. NO IMAGES! If you want to post an image, post the URL pointing it to your gallery.  Again, Depressionforums.org is PG13!! Thank you~ ~Forum Admin  
Kaitrin

Effexor vs Cymbalta

43 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post  

For those of you who have taken both Effexor and Cymbalta at different times in your life, what are the similarities/differences? What kind of side effects? Did one work better or faster? I'm on Effexor, and I just wondered if maybe Cymbalta would be a better choice or if I should stick with what I know.

Thanks!

Kaitrin

Hi Kaitrin...I took 150mg of Effexor for about 6 months and I felt great, so great in fact that I decided I didn't need medication anymore and went off of it. I had some withdrawal issues, nothing I couldn't deal with...but after about a month of being off of the med I felt my depression symptoms come back with a vengance. I talked to my dr. and she put me on Cymbalta. I gave it about a month to kick in but it was like taking nothing at all. I got no relief from my symptoms and ended up going back on the Effexor. I just started taking it again today. I didn't have any side effects at all on the Cymbalta, but I also didn't get any benefit either.

You might also be interested in:

Posted · Report post  

I have never been on Effexor, but was thinking of talking to my pdoc about going on it. I have been on Cymbalta for about 10 months. I am also on 300mg wellbutrin xl. I don't know if the cymbalta has helped. There have been times I've felt absolutely amazing, but overall I've felt more down and relaxed at the same time. The sexual side effects stink. Also, I have definately had slowed down cognitively, in my mind. It takes me longer to respond to things, can't think of responses sometimes. But I'm not sure if that's due to the cymbalta or to the neurontin I am on for nerve pain also.

Posted · Report post  

Recently switched from 300 venlafaxine to 90 Cymbalta.

They are generally doing the same things, but I think the change was good.

Posted · Report post  

Hi all this is my first post. Just wanted to let everyone know my experience with Effexor and Cymbalta. I was on Effexor for 10 years, with mostly good results, highest dose was 375mg, typical side effects, shocks, brain zaps, if I missed a dose or took it late. I learned to live with those due to the fact other meds I had tried didn't seem to work as well. fast forward to 2 months ago, I really felt I wasn't getting any effect from Effexor anymore, Dr. upped my dose to no avail, ended up in the psych ward and am now on 60mg in am, 60mg in pm of Cymbalta. I honestly cannot feel any result or side effect from Cymbalta due to the horrid withdrawl from Effexor. Other than opiate withdrawal Effexor withdrawl is the worst I have ever felt physically; which doesn't help mentally. I am hopeful for Cymbalta to give me some relief, but I am still struggling with the withdrawl from Effexor so it might be a while yet.

Posted · Report post  

Hi all this is my first post. Just wanted to let everyone know my experience with Effexor and Cymbalta. I was on Effexor for 10 years, with mostly good results, highest dose was 375mg, typical side effects, shocks, brain zaps, if I missed a dose or took it late. I learned to live with those due to the fact other meds I had tried didn't seem to work as well. fast forward to 2 months ago, I really felt I wasn't getting any effect from Effexor anymore, Dr. upped my dose to no avail, ended up in the psych ward and am now on 60mg in am, 60mg in pm of Cymbalta. I honestly cannot feel any result or side effect from Cymbalta due to the horrid withdrawl from Effexor. Other than opiate withdrawal Effexor withdrawl is the worst I have ever felt physically; which doesn't help mentally. I am hopeful for Cymbalta to give me some relief, but I am still struggling with the withdrawl from Effexor so it might be a while yet.

Hi there

I would love to know if your story is similar to mine. I need reassurance that thers have beaten this.

I'm very confused on what is hapening to me as I'm switching from effexor xr to cym.

Effexor was working well except the lack of labido, constant tiredness, weight gain and I had heard from a few friends how great cym was in these side effects.

Anyway i talked to my pysc about it and we decided to switch. He admitted he didn't know much about cym as its new to canada, but felt from what he read and heard that the switch would be easy and that the 2 drugs are so closely related that I should be able to go cold turkey on effexor while starting cym

Needless to say this is week 4 and I'm so confused with all the side effects and symptoms I do not know what to do or where to go. Sleepiness is worse, thel adido died and is buried, the concentration is terrible, I feel drugged out to the point of feeling like a zombie, I get brainfog, absent minded, lethargic, mild depression and withdrawal. It has gotten much worde in the last week.

I went to my MD on Friday and hesaid keep with it as there is too much going on to try and pin point exactly what is happening - cym effects, eff withdrawals or both.

I keep using my favorite passage - "this too shall pass", but it getting difficult.

So I'm terribly confused on what to do and come seeking advice. Do I keep slugging away hoping the 2 drugs will wean out or drop cym and go back to eff.

I came off eff before and it was a Biotch. But I felt so wonderful off it until the depression returned. They also say cym is easier to wean off.

I can handle the side effects but its the withdrawl that is bothering me the most. I have come so far in that area its a real bother feeling me pull away again. I skipped my staff party last night because of it - grrr.

Posted · Report post  

Hi there

I would love to know if your story is similar to mine. I need reassurance that thers have beaten this.

I'm very confused on what is hapening to me as I'm switching from effexor xr to cym.

Effexor was working well except the lack of labido, constant tiredness, weight gain and I had heard from a few friends how great cym was in these side effects.

Anyway i talked to my pysc about it and we decided to switch. He admitted he didn't know much about cym as its new to canada, but felt from what he read and heard that the switch would be easy and that the 2 drugs are so closely related that I should be able to go cold turkey on effexor while starting cym

Needless to say this is week 4 and I'm so confused with all the side effects and symptoms I do not know what to do or where to go. Sleepiness is worse, thel adido died and is buried, the concentration is terrible, I feel drugged out to the point of feeling like a zombie, I get brainfog, absent minded, lethargic, mild depression and withdrawal. It has gotten much worde in the last week.

I went to my MD on Friday and hesaid keep with it as there is too much going on to try and pin point exactly what is happening - cym effects, eff withdrawals or both.

I keep using my favorite passage - "this too shall pass", but it getting difficult.

So I'm terribly confused on what to do and come seeking advice. Do I keep slugging away hoping the 2 drugs will wean out or drop cym and go back to eff.

I came off eff before and it was a Biotch. But I felt so wonderful off it until the depression returned. They also say cym is easier to wean off.

I can handle the side effects but its the withdrawl that is bothering me the most. I have come so far in that area its a real bother feeling me pull away again. I skipped my staff party last night because of it - grrr.

I went on Effexor because after a year, Zoloft had made me into a zombie. I was on EffexorXR (75 mg) for a year and then 150 mg VenlafaxineXR for 15 months. (I found out recently: My p-doc (a phamaco-psychiatrist) says that the generic V doesn't work as an antidepressant due to the XR not XRing properly) and put me on Cymbalta, which I have been on for 7 weeks. Venlafaxine made me gain 30 lbs, and paralyzed me - my "get up and go" got up and went. I slept 18 hr a day if I could. The good side effect was that I never felt cold, and my hay fever stopped (go figure), and I never gave a s**t about anything - good or bad.

I went from the 150 mg V to 60 mg Cymbalta cold turkey. The p-doc said that I would "feel like crap for a few days but it was better than feeling like crap tapering off". I was wise and did it on a Friday which I took off work. That day, I was dizzy and nauseous and slept because standing made me want to barf. That was pretty much my weekend.

Side effects from withdrawing from V: I ended up with a headache and dizziness for 4 weeks - which I was blaming on Cymbalta but the doc told me to persevere - that it was the V withdrawal. Only one brain zap the whole time (yay!!!). Sleepiness, sleepiness, sleepiness. No libido - which was not really an issue on Zoloft (actually the opposite happened), nor on V - just when withdrawing. Listlessness was really bad for 4-5 weeks.

At 7 weeks off V and on Cymbalta: The headache has gone. The symptoms of withdrawal from V were so severe that I don't feel anything physiological from Cymbalta except that for 7 weeks I could not wake up in the morning. That still happens - but as soon as somebody engages me (talks to me, gives me a task to do, makes an appointment), I wake up and function. I have just shifted to taking my Cymbalta at 6 pm (usually 8 am) to see if it will make me more alert in the mornings because I actually want to get out of bed - I just cannot.

Psychological effects from being on Cymbalta after 7 weeks? I feel unzombie-like. I actually am doing things around the house again, cooking with flair, playing my guitar. I am happier - and have some energy. And a libido.

I'd never recommend Venlafaxine to anybody given my experience.

AC

Posted · Report post  

Hi there

Hi I have been on effexor for 10 years and recently switched to cymbalta after 3 weeks tiredness creeped in dosgage upped to 90mg with past 3 weeks and now suffering very low mood and sadness crying etc. Also on Dex for ADD and wellbutrin. I am going to ask to be put back on effexor as I was more stable with it than this drug. Getting very frustrated with low feelings and am usually positive but recently I am becoming very fatalistic and withdrawn to the point where i am getting a little scared.

Posted · Report post  

For those of you who have taken both Effexor and Cymbalta at different times in your life, what are the similarities/differences? What kind of side effects? Did one work better or faster? I'm on Effexor, and I just wondered if maybe Cymbalta would be a better choice or if I should stick with what I know.

Thanks!

Kaitrin

Well, I see I'm late too, but it looks like the question still presents and I'm glad others are still posting. I have tried both

Effexor XR and Cymbalta. First, Effexor XR proved to have awesome results, x for low libido. Thought I was good so I stopped and went down hill. MS started me on Cymbalta and I must say I don't feel good yet. Tired, slow, a little depressed still. The withdrawl or s/e of coming off Effexor SUCK! If it gonna do it, taper while building up on Cymbalta.

Posted · Report post  

I have been on 60 mg cymbalta for well over a year.

NO SIDE EFFECTS !

NO WEIGHT GAIN !

NO SLEEPINESS !

Went on due to anxiety/seasonal depression. Weaned very very slowly off zoloft 200mg and very slowly up to 60 mg of Cymbalta. No transition off or on either.

Must wean on and off meds slowly, I took almost month to do mine with dr writing down what to take each day.

This winter when depression kicked in again. Seasonal. Had to add .25 of Xanax to get me back up again. Been on the cym and xanax combined and no side effects.

Posted · Report post  

I have been on 60 mg cymbalta for well over a year.

NO SIDE EFFECTS !

NO WEIGHT GAIN !

NO SLEEPINESS !

Went on due to anxiety/seasonal depression. Weaned very very slowly off zoloft 200mg and very slowly up to 60 mg of Cymbalta. No transition off or on either.

Must wean on and off meds slowly, I took almost month to do mine with dr writing down what to take each day.

This winter when depression kicked in again. Seasonal. Had to add .25 of Xanax to get me back up again. Been on the cym and xanax combined and no side effects.

Hi I have to get off cymbalta i am getting mood swings more thank a monkey losing a banana. Was on Effexor for ten years and now cymbalta 60mg was at 90mg, Also dex at 20mg 3 x per day and wellbutrin. Dex is great for my ADD and keeping me focused but for some reason usually at the end of the day I emotionaly become a trainwreck. I think I will ask my pdoc to get me on different med or med because this is getting me really low. Also looking at getting a brain SPECT done to rule out any other issues. I Have had enough of this. Just my two penneth.

bbg    0

Posted · Report post  

Thanks!

Kaitrin

I have been on Effexor for year with great success. It keeps the edge off. A doctor put me on cymbalta to help with neck pain. So I had to come off the Effexor. I am calling the doctor Monday. I will go back on Effexor. The cymbalta does nothing for me. And I was taking better medicine for pain. It is just different for everyone.

bbg

Posted · Report post  

I used to take Effexor for years but the head shocks got so bad I had to stop taking them and have tried numerous others since then. Cymbalta is the best I have ever had!

Posted · Report post  

Thanks!

Kaitrin

Hi, I've been on Effexor 150mg for approx 6 years & found that it was OK most of the time, though I still wasn't functioning normally. If I missed a dose I would get head spins really bad, even if it was only 4 hours late. Things got a bit rough at the start of the year & I tried to harm myself & my meds didn't seem to be working. I had severe debilitating symptoms of fibromyalgia & couldnt relax or sleep because of the pain. My Dr. started my on Cymbalta at my request a bit over 3 weeks ago & I am now weaning off Effexor. After 2 weeks there's been a noticeable decrease in my pain level plus a noticeable improvement in my mood, irritablity, anger & insomnia. I havent been on it to notice too much else, other than I can now actually ENJOY a beautiful sunrise, a fragrant flower or the bright blue sky & I find I'm laughing a bit more at stuff that should be funny.

My Councellor has also started me on an amino acid (protein) Tyrosine 1 teaspoon 4 x a day taken 1/2 an hour before meals. Plus supplements of Zinc 200 mg x 1 per day, B6 200 mg x 1 per day, Folic Acid 500 mcg x 1 per day, B12 1000mcg x 1 per day, for sugar cravings Bio-Chromium, for liver Livertone Plus

I have also started on an anti-inflammatory diet with lots of fish high in Omega 6 essential fatty acids with lots of fresh vegetables & fruit. My Dr. told me bluntly that I need to take better care of myself & to get better control of my blood sugar levels, cholesterol & C-reactive protein.

Posted · Report post  

Thanks!

Kaitrin

This reply is several years too late. But for newbies out there who want to know… I have been on Effexor for a year and starting today was told by my doctor to switech to Cymbalta. I honestly never believed that the Effexor worked. I too it in combination with other drugs (for depression) and finally, a little over a month ago, I had a GREAT breakthrough with mirtazapine and the said effexor, combined. However, the effect only lasted 2 weeks and since then, little by lilttle, the combo stopped working and I am back to having the major major blues, with severe muscle pain everyday, and the inability to sleep (which initially disappeared with mirtazapine + effexor). Anyway.. today, my doctor told me to switch to Cymbalta and continue the mirtazapine and drop the Effexor. Again, I really don't think the Effexor had any effect on me the whole year. For awhile I was taking only it, with sleeping pills in the evening (imovane or stilnox), and I think the only reason I lasted all year without going deeper into depression was due to the sleeping pills. So I'm off it starting tomorrow morning and I'm hoping that Cymbalta and Mirtazapine will have a longer lasting effect of feeling GREAT (i.e. sleep 8 hours a night, work during the day, motivated, focused, and most of all, not sad and no blues, not even an inkling but just feeling WELL in general).

Posted · Report post  

Effexor 150 worked well for me but it caused weight gain and high blood pressure which I never had. I am now on Cymbalta 60 mgs and I have lost 8 lbs in 4 weeks and my blood pressure is down, It has also helped with my arthritis aches and pains ( I am 52) and I don't feel so heavily medicated. It has taken away my anxiety and depression, and I can still feel emotions. Effexor is an awesome medication as well but the high blood pressure it caused wasn't worth it. I did not want to take blood pressure medication due to a side effect of effexor. My doctor said Cymbalta is a better choice for me and it is now available in generic form.

Posted (edited) · Report post  

I might also add that i stopped the effexor xr 150 and went on the cymbalta immediately the next day and had no withdrawl or side effects making the transition. Felt a little nauseated for a couple of days thats all. For me it :coophaha: was a smooth transition, off of effexor to cymbalta the next day !

Edited by chelle50

Posted (edited) · Report post  

dunno but i tried a high dose of effexor over the max dose recomennded  for over a week maybe 2 weeks didnt do anything for me .

Edited by Farshad

Posted · Report post  

I felt that Effexor pooped out on me after a while and if I didn't take it at the exact same time every day I would have withdrawal symptoms. Cymbalta wasn't as absolute on the time you took it and it was also more stimulating than Effexor.