Sane19

1. Switching from Pristiq to Effexor XR and 2. Withdrawal (No negative discontinuation stories please)

Posted (edited)

Hi

After experiencing a MAJOR bout of depression I have made the switch (as of last Friday) from 100mg Pristiq to 75mg Effexor XR. (Under the supervision of a GP). 

I started taking Pristiq after MDD in 2016. Prior to that I was on Zoloft for many years however it was no longer effective. I had been on Effexor XR for a few years prior to having children and was very effective. It was suggested as an option in 2016 but I had such a horrendous time coming off it (pregnant so went cold turkey) that I was terrified of touching it again. (Nb: It was a cold turkey Effexor XR cessation met with cold turkey smoking cessation plus pregnancy hormones so was never going to be good.) Hence, in 2016, I made the decision to take Pristiq instead.

Fast forward 3 years and I've experienced a crippling bout of depression. Out of sheer desperation (remembering how well it worked previously) have switched back to Effexor XR. (Direct switch).

Felt no different for the first 3 days (I.e. No side effects). Day 4 (yesterday) felt absolutely horrendous and insane. Uncontrollable bout of crying at work. (Embarassing much.) Later today (Day 5) I felt pretty awesome. Still feel heavy in the body.

My questions in relation to this are:

1. Has anyone else made a direct switch from Pristiq to Effexor XR and did you have a similar experience in the first week? 

2. Is it possible to experience discontinuation symptoms even though they are both SNRI's?

2. Can anyone tell me a positive discontinuation story? (In case a) one day it stops working or b) I can one day go AD free.) It would be good to know a person doesn't have to go through Hell to come off it. (No negative tales of experiences please).

Thanks.

Edited by Sane19
Missed a sentence

Pristiq 100mg to Effexor 75mg is crazy! You’re most likely having withdrawals. Pristiq is much stronger than Effexor. It’s like getting your dose cut in half!

Sane

My guess is that if you have 10 responses you will learn 10 different  discontinuation stories.  I'm coming off Pristiq right now, it is day two so too early I feel to tell.  

Wishing you the best with the Effexor and the switch. 

T

I swapped from Pristiq to Effexor XR. 

Didn't feel any withdrawals, but I went frrom Pristiq to 75mg of Effexor XR. What i noticed is that on Effexor, my anxiety attacks were much less, but depression was more noticeable. I gave that feedback to my psychiatrist, and they increased my dosage to 150mg. Been on that for about a week, and it seems to be working well for me, for now.