Sign in to follow this  
Gadz13

Looking to hear how people cope

Hi Everyone. Over the last few weeks I have been feeling down and depressed. I’m 32 and in good health I believe but still feel like I have something wrong.  I had people close to me die recently which I believe got me down. Just looking for ways to get out of this funk and be in a better mood. How do you guys cope? Any help is greatly appreciated.  Thanks.  

Jay   

hi Jay😊 i wish i could give you pointers but i have very poor, destructive coping habits that i'm trying to kick. but i felt so horrible seeing your thread with zero replies and i just wanted to let you know that someone read, and someone cared. i'm sorry for your loss. when my grandma passed my mom told me she went somewhere quiet and had a good cry and it helped. i hope you feel better soon.

Welcome to both of you to our forum family.

Our goal is to not leave anyone behind in their depression cave.

My approach to coping is to metaphorically anchor myself outside my deep, dark, dangerous depression abyss.

I am a big believer in the power of clever metaphors.

Keep posting and check out some other posts.

We are here to help.

Welcome to the forum!  I'm sorry for your losses.  Losing people close do you is very difficult.  I'm not sure if this is within your comfort zone, but there may be grief support groups in your area that you could go to and share your feelings with like-minded people.

As for my own coping mechanisms, I have found that seeing a therapist on a regular basis, medication, and staying active (exercising) all lift my spirits.  Of course, what works for one person may not work for another, but I hope you find some helpful tips here.

Welcome Jay! Grieving is an important process to go through. Sometimes we can get stuck in that process. I agree that a therapist can be very helpful in getting through that. Glad that you reached out to us here. Reading others posts can be helpful too. 

BW

I have two bad coping mechanisms that aren't helpful.

But the helpful ones include music, listening or doing youtube karaoke. Or I find something that I know I can do rather well. I like doing arts and crafts. If I don't have that much energy I find a computer game that I can zone out to. I'm rather lucky that my cats will not let me lay in bed all day, usually by annoying the heck out of me and giving me a different emotion to focus on. So petting them helps me  a lot. I've also been known to go to the park/mall and just sit and watch people or animals and doodle.  Ohh and then there is the self date, going out and treating myself to something.