Sign in to follow this  
G01ng

Should I go back to Medication?

Hello, only been here a while after I spiraled down pretty fast emotionally. Since then, I've come to reevaluate some decisions I've made. One of these decisions was quitting my medication for anxiety: venlafaxine.

I was prescribed it while at college but I decided through supervision of the university health center to taper off it in anticipation of graduation and a bumpy road I had with withdrawal symptoms and whatnot. I just didn't want to deal with withdrawal symptoms that came too often because getting a new prescription got tricky often. I honestly thought I had worked enough within myself to no longer need it and be able to cope without it, but I'm just not sure anymore. Now, I have a lot of questions and no professionals to ask it too while I'm away from school. FYI, I still haven't graduated, took a semester's hiatus thinking I could save money while I got some other life stuff in check; no luck on much of that and I regret not having kept on track with school now.

If I were to go on medication for anxiety, would it be venlafaxine again? I remember having tried to get on prozac before some fluke happened. Would I be able to go on that or another medication altogether? How do I know if I need it or if it's something else that makes me go down mentally?

I'm not in great circumstances right now so it's felt like an emotional rollercoaster between trying to keep my spirits up and sinking straight down to the dumps. Is it just the situation that's draining me so bad or is it just my lack of medication no longer making up for it? I remember I could still get pretty sour even when on venlafaxine, so I just have no idea if it would be any better if I got on it or any other meds.

2 hours ago, G01ng said:

Hello, only been here a while after I spiraled down pretty fast emotionally. Since then, I've come to reevaluate some decisions I've made. One of these decisions was quitting my medication for anxiety: venlafaxine.

I was prescribed it while at college but I decided through supervision of the university health center to taper off it in anticipation of graduation and a bumpy road I had with withdrawal symptoms and whatnot. I just didn't want to deal with withdrawal symptoms that came too often because getting a new prescription got tricky often. I honestly thought I had worked enough within myself to no longer need it and be able to cope without it, but I'm just not sure anymore. Now, I have a lot of questions and no professionals to ask it too while I'm away from school. FYI, I still haven't graduated, took a semester's hiatus thinking I could save money while I got some other life stuff in check; no luck on much of that and I regret not having kept on track with school now.

If I were to go on medication for anxiety, would it be venlafaxine again? I remember having tried to get on prozac before some fluke happened. Would I be able to go on that or another medication altogether? How do I know if I need it or if it's something else that makes me go down mentally?

I'm not in great circumstances right now so it's felt like an emotional rollercoaster between trying to keep my spirits up and sinking straight down to the dumps. Is it just the situation that's draining me so bad or is it just my lack of medication no longer making up for it? I remember I could still get pretty sour even when on venlafaxine, so I just have no idea if it would be any better if I got on it or any other meds.

Maintaining your body is better than meds

On 4/13/2019 at 8:44 PM, G01ng said:

Is it just the situation that's draining me so bad or is it just my lack of medication no longer making up for it? I remember I could still get pretty sour even when on venlafaxine, so I just have no idea if it would be any better if I got on it or any other meds.

I find that I can go down fairly far with the venlafaxine, my doctor (not the p doc) feels that I would be better off using either something else or venlafaxine with something else, but so far we have not had any luck finding anything that works with it. That being said I have been on venlafaxine for 18+ years and overall it worked fairly well for me.

Your best bet is always talking with a doctor and seeing what your options are.