Sign in to follow this  
sophiaria

Latuda for Major Depressive Disorder??

I have a severe unipolar depressive disorder that is resistant to many medications. Nothing really has worked (Wellbutrin, Abilify, sertraline, Prozac, desvenlafaxine /Pristiq). My doctor prescribed me Latuda which is a bipolar/antipsychotic. Although I got alarmed and I told her so immediately, she convinced me that this could help me blah blah blah. However, I'm still worried, my psychologist (not a medical doctor obviously) too got alarmed once found out, although she said she doesn't know much about this medication, the fact that it's antipsychotic for a person who's severely down and lethargic (me) is concerning. 

I'm currently on Pristiq (150mg), Latuda (20->40mg), and Adderall. I have not yet seen any effects.

Has anyone here been prescribed Latuda for severe depression, how was your experience? Any suggestions, warning, or tips?

Contrary to what one may believe about antipsychotics in general, Latuda and some other antipsychotics have a dose-dependent effect wherein certain dose ranges may be stimulating, some you may not feel anything, and some you may feel a bit sedated. With Latuda, generally low doses are stimulating (20-40 mg), moderate doses tend to be innocuous (40-60 mg), and high doses may be a little on the sedating side (80-160 mg).

Try not to be alarmed by the name of the class of medication. There are many mechanisms of action that provide benefits for depressive symptoms. 5-HT1A partial agonism causes downstream dopamine release, 5-HT2A antagonism causes dopamine release in the pyramidal neurons in the prefrontal cortex (I believe), and 5-HT7 antagonism not only helps with serotonin release and subsequently depression, but can help with memory/learning as well as regulating circadian rhythm. 5-HT7 antagonism is Latuda's strongest mechanism of action. The dopamine D2 antagonism occurs on both sides of the neuron: presynaptically it antagonizes the autoreceptors with high affinity, which disinhibits dopamine release, while postsynaptically, it has a more rapid dissociation rate from the D2 neurons and hence doesn't block the effects of dopamine stimulation as much as other antipsychotics might.