Sign in to follow this  
AKGrown

Sucess Re-Engaging W/Cymbalta?

I'm new here - Hello.

Until recently, I had been on 120mg of Cymbalta for at least 10 years. This was the most effective anti-depressant I've ever taken and, it helped give a boost to my anti-anxiety medication (Klonopin). Unfortunately, it seemed that the Cymbalta stopped working. I was struggling with a lot of cognitive issues (think executive functioning). I was diagnosed with ADHD and placed on Straterra, which has been helpful. Nevertheless, I still had some issues with depression - though looking back they were not as bad as they are now. About 8 weeks ago, I began titrating (spelling?) off Cymbalta and started Trintillex. All my previous big issues with depression were largely emotional (loss of interest in things, loss of energy, low mood, crying - "feelings" based) however, this bout started off as being almost all cognitive issues. My doctor suggested that the Cymbalta had run its course a new anti-depressant was needed and so I'm on 10mg of Trintillex. I'm not crazy about the nausea and upset tummy issues it causes but I'm managing it. I would say  my cognitive skills have significantly improved however, the last week my depression reverted back to being very "emotional" in its expression. I'm very teary,  overwhelmed, distorted thinking (I worry a family member who lives with me is angry with me or tired of me though there is no reason to believe this and they have promised to be open if this was the case) and have increased anxiety - all "feelings" based depression. Given that I've been on the Trintillex for almost 8 weeks and I actually feel worse, I am strongly considering throwing the towel in with the Trintillex. I'm not convinced that my cognitive improvements are not the result of the Straterra and some time away from work (I'm on FMLA).  What I do know is that this re-emerging emotional depression is distressing and I feel like I am getting worse.

Part of me would like to go back on the Cymbalta. It worked for so many years and looking back, I felt better (emotionally) that I do now. I'm also struggling with trying to understand how much of this bout of depression (I have depression all the time but sometimes it breaks through the meds) is truly an issue of my meds need adjusting vs. it being situational. I've had a lot of stress (I'm leaning towards calling it trauma) the last 2.5 years surrounding work and a relocation that has not gone well and I think anyone would struggle as a result. While I don't like the idea of making major life changes in the midst of a mental health crisis, circumstances are such that I will be leaving my job and moving out of state. (note, my job and the people I work for/with have been the source of the majority of my stress). I am desperately hoping that much of what is occurring is situational and that by removing myself from the stressors, it will help to stabilize me.

So, long story short - has anyone stopped Cymbalta (or any anti-depressant) hoping to find "better" and when they didn't, successfully go back to taking the Cymbalta and was it as helpful in getting you back on track? Or, had the Cymbalta really stopped working and you needed a new anti-depressant? I've tried so many and was so happy to have found Cymbalta. I"m scared and overwhelmed at the idea of having to go shopping for a new anti-depressant again. I've taken (in no particular order): Wellbutrin, Prozac, Effexor, Elavil, Seroquil, Abilify, and one other I can't recall. I can't recall if I've taken Paxil, Lexipro, or Zoloft.

Ive taken them all but returned to cymbalta as it was most effectiveor least side effects for me. I never came if it because it stopped working, so I cannot answer that, but from 90 mg to 0 and back to 90, after a months stabilisation I was like I had not stopped.

i guess this doesnt answer your question. My doctor added seroquel to the cymbalta for improved anxiety control, which works a bit, but does sometimes create drowsiness.....

ihave added myself this last week hemp oil, CBD with zero THC’s as this is known to moderately affect the waysthe meds work. This has many benefits to your body generally and specifically reduced my anxiety or maybe made the meds more effective. You could ask your doctor if it is an option. Its essentially marijuana without the psychotic effects