Sign in to follow this  
nojoy

Anyone tried neuro feedback

I had been doing the eye movement thing with the therapist. After several sessions, I got to the point where I would (inside my brain) roll my eyes and pretend that it was working and tell her what I thought she wanted to hear.  I have been doing neuro feedback for about 20 weeks and either I fall asleep or my mind wanders,. I don't feel or see any different in my thoughts or depression. Anyone else experienced or are doing neuro feedback and what is/are your thoughts on it?

My psychologist and I experimented with that for a few months when I first began with him. He’s also a neuroscientist, and does qEEG testing. Have you tried the spoon bending? I’m still not clear on how I was supposed to benefit from it. I know he was very much encouraged by how well I progressed with the spoon business. 

I haven't tried spoon bending. Tried looking it up on internet but kept getting links to the magic trick.  Is it kinda like meditation where you focus on one thing (like your breathing) to bring mindfulness? My therapist is pleased with the results of the neuro feedback, but like you I don't know how it's supposed to be helping. I would be interested in how you progress with the spoon bending and how much it helps you.

I agree some  of it is quack science, but at this point I'm willing to try  something if there is a chance of feeling better about myself and life in general. 

16 hours ago, nojoy said:

I haven't tried spoon bending. Tried looking it up on internet but kept getting links to the magic trick.  Is it kinda like meditation where you focus on one thing (like your breathing) to bring mindfulness? My therapist is pleased with the results of the neuro feedback, but like you I don't know how it's supposed to be helping. I would be interested in how you progress with the spoon bending and how much it helps you.

It involved concentration in order to get a computerized metal spoon to bend. I think the ability to get the spoon to bend meant that the left side of your brain—the ‘feel good’ side—was being activated. My psychologist instructed me to use imagery or to repeat a mantra to get it to bend. Like I said, he was thrilled with how often I eventually managed to do it, but I kind of shrugged it off. I didn’t feel as if my mood was improved at all from the excercises. 

I feel the same way about everything the therapist has suggested I try.  I was asked how many sessions of neuro feedback I have and if I saw any improvement.  23 and I feel no difference except that I got a 20 minute nap and the therapist says this  thing is  working. When I sleep my brain does shut off but can't spend the rest of my life asleep.  Wish I could!