Jump to content

Recommended Posts

I am extremely depressed and anxious. My mom and older sister are controlling me and possibly emotionally abusive? 

I have been questioning my sexuality and gender identity since high school. 
A few years ago when I was in high school my older sister read my diary. She told my other sister what I had written in the diary. My older sister was yelling and screaming at me in my room. She locked the door and wouldn't let me leave. In my diary I had written about having feelings for girls. 

I have talked to my mom about questioning my sexuality and I have come out to her multiple times. But she has ignored me and became really angry at me. 

My mom always ignores me when I want to talk to her about everyday things. She never wants to talk to me. 
She is very controlling. She forces me to dress in feminine girly clothing. She forces me to wear makeup. She got extremely angry at me when I was asking her if I could wear guys clothing then I started having suicidal thoughts. 

My mom becomes angry at me almost every day for no reason. She is always yelling at me. 

My mom hates LGBTQ people. 
My older sister hates LGBTQ people too. My older sister is bullying me. She makes mean comments to me and she stares at me in a mean way. My older sister calls me weird. I am constantly anxious, afraid of what she might say next. 

Currently I am closeted and confused and still questioning. I am really really scared. Because I am afraid if they find out about me or if they become angry enough they might physically hurt me. 

Is this emotional abuse? Do you have any advice for me? How can I cope with my abusive family?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hello lostinsadness,

Welcome to Depressonforums.  Sometimes I just do not understand parents!

There does not seem to be any empathy or understanding going on in families! 

I would like to switch you to our Gay, Lesbian, Bi-sexual and Transgender Issues Forum where you can post how you feel and get some real understanding there.

Hope you do not mind.

Take very good care of yourself, you do matter:hugs:

~Lindsay

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/10/2019 at 6:52 PM, lostinsadness said:

Is this emotional abuse? Do you have any advice for me? How can I cope with my abusive family?

Yes, absolutely. Invading your privacy, yelling and screaming, locking you in a room, giving you the cold shoulder, and tightly controlling your behavior without any regard for your feelings are all examples of emotional abuse. It sounds like you are over 18. Why are you living at home?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Lindsay said:

Hello lostinsadness,

Welcome to Depressonforums.  Sometimes I just do not understand parents!

There does not seem to be any empathy or understanding going on in families! 

I would like to switch you to our Gay, Lesbian, Bi-sexual and Transgender Issues Forum where you can post how you feel and get some real understanding there.

Hope you do not mind.

Take very good care of yourself, you do matter:hugs:

~Lindsay

Hi Lindsay. 

thanks for welcoming me. I will definitely check out that forum. 

Thanks! ❤️

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, John_in_SF said:

Yes, absolutely. Invading your privacy, yelling and screaming, locking you in a room, giving you the cold shoulder, and tightly controlling your behavior without any regard for your feelings are all examples of emotional abuse. It sounds like you are over 18. Why are you living at home?

I am living at home because I am an online college student. I have mental health problems and learning disabilities it makes it difficult for me to socialize. I can't move out. 😞

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, lostinsadness said:

I am living at home because I am an online college student. I have mental health problems and learning disabilities it makes it difficult for me to socialize. I can't move out. 😞

Do you have a sympathetic relative that you could move in with, perhaps in exchange for doing chores or some other work? Your family environment sounds toxic and it's got to be getting in the way of your progress.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, John_in_SF said:

Do you have a sympathetic relative that you could move in with, perhaps in exchange for doing chores or some other work? Your family environment sounds toxic and it's got to be getting in the way of your progress.

I don't know if I have relatives who live nearby.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, lostinsadness said:

I don't know if I have relatives who live nearby.  

Do you need to live nearby? Is there an LGBTQ support agency in your area? You should contact them right away to learn about other options and for more advice. If you are reasonably in fear for your physical safety, you simply cannot stay with those people.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/19/2019 at 8:58 PM, John_in_SF said:

Do you need to live nearby? Is there an LGBTQ support agency in your area? You should contact them right away to learn about other options and for more advice. If you are reasonably in fear for your physical safety, you simply cannot stay with those people.

I don't need to live nearby its just that I've never been away from home before so it's kind of scary. Anyway I understand. I will look up lgbt support for my area and see what I can find. Thanks for your help.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

yep. i think it's in your best interest to stay in the closet or get away from these people. reach out, try to find places to stay.

were you planning on living at home forever?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/11/2019 at 12:52 PM, lostinsadness said:

I am extremely depressed and anxious. My mom and older sister are controlling me and possibly emotionally abusive? 

I have been questioning my sexuality and gender identity since high school. 
A few years ago when I was in high school my older sister read my diary. She told my other sister what I had written in the diary. My older sister was yelling and screaming at me in my room. She locked the door and wouldn't let me leave. In my diary I had written about having feelings for girls. 

I have talked to my mom about questioning my sexuality and I have come out to her multiple times. But she has ignored me and became really angry at me. 

My mom always ignores me when I want to talk to her about everyday things. She never wants to talk to me. 
She is very controlling. She forces me to dress in feminine girly clothing. She forces me to wear makeup. She got extremely angry at me when I was asking her if I could wear guys clothing then I started having suicidal thoughts. 

My mom becomes angry at me almost every day for no reason. She is always yelling at me. 

My mom hates LGBTQ people. 
My older sister hates LGBTQ people too. My older sister is bullying me. She makes mean comments to me and she stares at me in a mean way. My older sister calls me weird. I am constantly anxious, afraid of what she might say next. 

Currently I am closeted and confused and still questioning. I am really really scared. Because I am afraid if they find out about me or if they become angry enough they might physically hurt me. 

Is this emotional abuse? Do you have any advice for me? How can I cope with my abusive family?

HI lostinsadness. I am very sad to hear what has happened to you, and I would say that this is definitely a case of abuse. Is it possible for you to leave home at the moment? It's understandable that you may be unable to because it can be hard to find work at the moment, but if it's at all possible, it sounds like you could be much happier away from your family.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...