Sign in to follow this  
Rvaughn

Protracted Withdrawal Hope

Hi there! I’m new here. Been off Prozac after a cold turkey in 2014!! I got sick in Costa Rica a year later...something like CFS with highly unstable nervous system. My question is...has anyone been able to go back on their med (Prozac) after years off and feel better? I think my brain was too used to it to go off 😕 

thank you!

Hi and welcome to the Forums, Rvaughn,

I hope you will get many responses to your post, which I think asks such an important question for so many people.  In my case, I have never gone off an antidepressant and then gone on it again, so I cannot really offer anything helpful.  Nor have I ever been prescribed Prozac.  I sure hope things improve for you.  Sorry about your illness in Costa Rica.  That is a place I have always wanted to visit.

- epictetus

I have been on/off prozac for years.  Each time I thought I could live without medication but after 20 years, a good doctor (previous)  and a good therapist I figured out I'm better on it.  Unfortunately, the last doctor (not the one who helped me) I saw refused to refill it without expensive blood work that I could not afford and I went through withdrawal.  New doctor started me back on 20 mg and hopefully with increase it when I see her in 2 weeks. The hardest part of going off and then back on is that it takes a while for it to build up in my system to be of any benefit to me.