Sign in to follow this  
Ratvan

Meet Percy - My Latest Rescue

Morning All

So last night I picked up Percy, he is a male Black Persian Cat. He has had several issues with his urinary tract and as a result he cannot be insured (pre-existing medical condition) hence the reason he was surrendered to the shelter. He has had some operations and is on medicated food for life to stop the issue reoccurring again. However the shelter that I got him from will assist with medical expenses if I am struggling 

Percy or as he is quickly becoming known to me "MR. Fancypants" is an older gent, 8 years old so he is not super active which is fantastic for me, he is however an extremely curious soul. I've not taken many photo's of him yet, only the one below from this morning as I decided that I wanted to let him settle in last night and not stress him out. He is litter box trained, last night I checked up on him every now and again and saw him sat watching the fish and Axolotl's. He slept last night in front of my windowsill tank (probably because it's the warmest) and managed to get a lovely sleepy picture this morning before giving him breakfast.

I am at work at the moment but will be popping home on my lunch break to feed him again and see how he is settling in, i'm going to give it until teh weekend before i start looking for toys for him (cat tree's, barrels, climbing stuff etc)

Look at the sleepy floof

percy 4.jpg

I love how sleepy and grumpy he is in the mornings

He's not come around to me just yet, but he wants his food. I don't have any plans this weekend, except work on my tanks of course so we will have plenty of time to bond

Also picking up a load of cardboard boxes tonight to make some kitty toys and a kitty fort

percy 6.jpg

@LonelyHiker Snape is gorgeous. Mine is starting to become a a.rse. he is now trying to drink from every tank I own. 

I have to bathe My Fancypants this evening which should be fun. He has a slight skin condition to which i need to wash with medicated shampoo

So for the past few days I have noticed that Percy doesn't have the best depth perception.

He will bump into things, miss a lot of jumps, it would scare him when i pet him and what made it worse is that he doesn't sprint for food as much anymore etc. So took him to the vets this morning, he doesn't have Diabetes, Cataracts or High Blood Pressure which is a relief . He has had some bloods taken and will be a little wait to hear back but I think he may have progressive retinal atrophy. I know that this is a complication from his breed which does make me sad. Anyways I have dropped Percy off at home along with some noise making toys to keep him entertained,  on the positive side his skin condition is clearing up so I only need to bath him once a week now, also I seem to be on top of his tear ducts which is nice. 

Fingers crossed for him now

I'm sure he will be fine. My nans cat went blind and unless we moved the furniture or stood in his way he was fine. 

Looking back it was really obvious with his behaviour when I stroked him, I thought he was just skittish but it was more like me suprisingly him. Oh well just need to talk to him more now

Sign in to follow this