When you first joined the forums?

I wonder about this topic because I know we all have been there. Where we felt like reaching out to someone or something to help us with our struggles- leading to us finding this forum and making our first post.

I wanted to ask: when did you consider joining DF? Was it something you jumped into right away or did you think about it for a little while? What were your thoughts when you first joined this community? How long are you planning to stay?

I hope you all are doing better :) Wishing you the best!

I remember the day I joined, very vividly. It was probably one of the worst days I have had. 

I remember sitting in the car park at work waiting for the office to open, I was so down, so depressed and in all honesty I just didn't care anymore. I spent about 15 minutes sat in my car sorting out a load of tablets, vodka, Ketamine and a rope, I got to to the stage that I had tied the noose and was looking for something to throw myself from. I had joined a group a few weeks earlier for Men to come and talk about mental health and other issues they were experiencing. The problem was that the group only meets on a Monday Evening, this was a Wednesday?

I was actually looking for a phone number of someone to talk to, I just needed someone to listen. I can't remember how I found this place I just know that I most likely would not be here if I hadn't. I jumped straight in, not with this issue but with others.

I had tried several counsellors and doctors before this, I kept hearing people say things like "You're someone's son" "you could be someone's dad one day" things of that nature. This place made me feel special for me and not my relationship with other people. 

I was in the midst of a horrible marriage & trying to drink myself to death. I felt completely and utterly trapped in a life I couldn't stand. I had absolutely no desire to continue living in spite of the fact that I had a daughter who was entering college. I decided to do a web search and this place popped up first.

I made many friends after I joined, including a woman who would become very dear to me. We really bonded and I fell madly in love with her. We laughed and cried together for a couple of years. But, like everything else in my pathetic life, I screwed up the relationship and she disappeared.

I'm still here. I no longer drink at least. But damn, I miss the hell out of my former GF.

I joined on this very day exactly three years ago (only know because it's on my profile 😅). I had been suffering from mental illness for a while, and experimented with therapy on multiple occasions, but had only been given the opportunity to try medication in 2015. I had reached one of my lowest points, so my doctor had prescribed me Lexapro and I was so terrified of using medication for the first time and what the side effects would be since she really steered clear of discussing them in detail with me. Being me, I spent hours googling and reading up about the stuff in a nervous panic and stumbled upon DF. I saw they had sections for many medications where people posted their experiences and it looked very helpful and comforting so I spent a few months visiting the forums to see what people were saying about the medication and also about their experiences with mental illness. it was the first time I'd ever seen a community like this and I was honestly scared to join and a bit ashamed because I had no one in my personal life who could relate to me. After a few months I finally signed up because so many people had similar experiences to mine, and it brought me tremendous relief to know I wasn't alone. I've mostly been a silent reader for the past years. It's only recently that I've started posting or responding actively, but DF has been a huge source of comfort and relief for me, so I am sincerely grateful to everyone here.

I joined a decade ago back when I was young un :laugh:

I was on citalopram and felt ***** so my ex suggested I go on the internet and look for advice and support from people who had been on it as well. 

So I came across the forum, did a few posts and got some replies that were really supportive and thought to myself "hey these people are really nice" and once I got chatting to people I ended up coming on here more and it started feeling sorta like home :smile:.. and after that I never left, although along the way there were periods where I wasn't on much. 

The people on here make this site a nice place to be :hugs:

Edited by hocico

12 hours ago, Ratvan said:

I can't remember how I found this place I just know that I most likely would not be here if I hadn't. I jumped straight in, not with this issue but with others.

I'm glad you found this forum. It's a joy to have you here with all of us :) I hope you've been doing much better since then!

2 hours ago, AKB48 said:

After a few months I finally signed up because so many people had similar experiences to mine, and it brought me tremendous relief to know I wasn't alone.

I know I contemplated on this a week or so before joining- but it's nice, isn't it? I, too, felt a relief joining because people were experiencing the same things and it gave you someone to talk to who understood.

It was wonderful to see people helping and understanding each other here- people who I knew I couldn't really bring myself to reach out to or find in real life. I'm glad you joined these forums, pal

1 hour ago, hocico said:

The people on here make this site a nice place to be :hugs:

Exactly!

Ever since I joined here, I've met quite a few lovely people I've grown to know and build a decent bond with. I love having conversations here at times :) This section sure is a nice place to come to for a nice chat on a rough day

2 minutes ago, MaepleSyrup said:

I know I contemplated on this a week or so before joining- but it's nice, isn't it? I, too, felt a relief joining because people were experiencing the same things and it gave you someone to talk to who understood.

It was wonderful to see people helping and understanding each other here- people who I knew I couldn't really bring myself to reach out to or find in real life. I'm glad you joined these forums, pal

Yes! There's just something about talking to people who have actually been through similar experiences that can provide a level of comfort or relief that those who have never experienced these kinds of things for themselves could never be capable of offering. Also there's no fear of judgement here, which is something that I think all of us probably have had to deal with in the outside world at one point or another. 

Thank you!!! In the end, I'm so glad I joined too!  :yay:

2 minutes ago, AKB48 said:

Yes! There's just something about talking to people who have actually been through similar experiences that can provide a level of comfort or relief that those who have never experienced these kinds of things for themselves could never be capable of offering. Also there's no fear of judgement here, which is something that I think all of us probably have had to deal with in the outside world at one point or another. 

Thank you!!! In the end, I'm so glad I joined too!  :yay:

I completely feel for what you're saying! The understanding part does bring comfort, like you said- which makes me feel a lot better when I come here to share what I've been struggling with

I don't see myself leaving anytime soon!

I joined 10 years ago in the middle of a crisis. Seems they come every 10 years for no clear reason (other than being alone with no future prospects). I didn't even know such forums existed, but this one came up among the first in web search results.

After the worst passed, I visited only occasionally for a few years. This time I may stay, even if the crisis passes, just in case I can help someone (for whatever my help may be worth).

Edited by anon22ae

2 minutes ago, anon22ae said:

This time I may stay, even if the crisis passes, just in case I can help someone (for whatever my help may be worth).

I'm glad you have found help here and have a place to go when crisis' hit. I hope you do stay- we all enjoy having you here with us :)

20 minutes ago, MaepleSyrup said:

I'm glad you found this forum. It's a joy to have you here with all of us 🙂 I hope you've been doing much better since then!

Thank you. Very nice of you to say. I hear over and over again the phrase "forum family" it's the perfect descriptor of what this forum is and who the users are. I'm doing okay thank you. Learning not to let a bad 15-20 minutes ruin a day. Hard but getting there 👍👍

1 minute ago, Ratvan said:

Thank you. Very nice of you to say. I hear over and over again the phrase "forum family" it's the perfect descriptor of what this forum is and who the users are. I'm doing okay thank you. Learning not to let a bad 15-20 minutes ruin a day. Hard but getting there 👍👍

Of course :) I recall us talking here and there in the past, and I must say, you're a pretty cool person! I'm glad you're doing okay and you're working up to not letting those rough half hours get to you

Hang in there- you're doing awesome :D

I was freaking out and overwhelmed by the grad program I had just gotten into. I found this forum with a google search, and it looked nice so I wrote a post asking for advice on getting my work done and got some great responses. I started hanging out here more, and posting more and more as I got comfortable. Now I think of this site as a second home. It's the only place in the world I feel safe opening discussing my journey with mental health, and I've learned so much from others here. Most importantly, I've learned that I'm not alone in a lot of the things I feel and do. I've also acquired some great friendships. It's nice to have a community. 🙂 

I had this obsessive thought that was making me wonder about living or dying.  I joined, and it wasn't the greatest at that time because no one really responded.  IDK.  Anyway, in time a few people did and then more, and now, I have manageable obsessive thoughts.  I stay on here because in my family, there is no love or kindness.  No friends.  I keep myself isolated because I can't deal with reality, well I do but it's so painful.  Add in chronic shyness, depression, low self-esteem, and, that everyone I meet will be like my toxic family who will hurt or harm me--I log in here and keep logging in. 

Just under 3 years ago when I was having a weird reaction to a med in my sleep. 

It was a lot of fun in the beginning,  but that was ruined after multiple dividing feuds, suspension's, and bannings. Which sucked because it was a great support and distraction.

Edited by LouisRiel

I'm glad I joined these forums. I joined because I was going through a time where I was too lonely, unmotivated, and lost to function. I hated that feeling of not having something to turn to in those moments. So after two solid months of fighting pain alone, I grew tired of the same pattern.

Forums popped up into my mind, since I'm on other animal forums in case one of the reptiles or avians I'm fostering falls ill or shows symptoms of something. So I thought: Are there depression forums too?

So I looked it up and this was the first thing that came up. I kept this in the back of my head for a week, then after thinking it through, I signed up, made my first post, and now I'm here and I am so happy I joined:laugh:

I think I first visited this place sometime during a particularly severe depressive episode in 2010-13. I didn't end up joining back then because I wasn't even ready to go to therapy or see a psychiatrist and wanted to beat my inability to cope with life out of me by myself without calling it the mental illness it was. I did eventually end up getting therapy and meds thanks to a vigilant roommate who spotted what was going on and gave me a friendly push in that direction. 

I dealt with subsequent outbreaks through therapy. I've had depressive episodes since but they haven't been as severe until I got whacked with a big one last year, which I am struggling to cope with. I am very isolated right now and feel like I have alienated anyone in my life that I could talk to or that the relationships I do have won't stand the strain if I talk about how awful I feel almost all the time ... but I need a place to get feelings off my chest and feel not so damn alone and feel heard ... so I looked this place up again and here I am. 

• 2 months later...

I think was like 2 or 3 years ago, or maybe 4.

First i came across that healthful chatroom.

Time ago i thought "ok, im gonna try to find a site for people with depression trying to find other people with depression to talk to". A thing that always had in mind, but then I started to persuid it.

I joined to every depression group in facebook, are useless.

Then I started to join to the forums, ive joined to every forum ive found.

I spent  time trying to find all the sites for people with depression, arent very good sites. 

But the big problem is that is in most forums its not allowed to ask for chat, or to reach out, if you ask that mods censor you.

They say forums are to ask questions, and another one give you and advice or support.

What matkes a big gap and creates a hollow zone for people who are just trying to meet other people with depression.

Ive not find a site for people with depression looking to meet other people with depression to have a talk.