Sign in to follow this  
Laurieo

I’m new, trying Zyban

Hi Laurie! Nice to meet you and welcome to the forums. Hope you find some peace and comfort here. It's a very kind and supportive community. :laugh: I have no experience with Zyban, so hopefully others can offer you some insight. Either way I hope your new medication will help you out. Take care!

Hello, we're pleased to have you here and I hope you'll find it easy to share what's on your mind with us. Each of us is living with some flavor of mental illness, we get how difficult it can be. 

Zyban/Bupropion/Wellbutrin is a commonly prescribed antidepressant. As you've just begun taking it, you might find it useful to read some shared experiences in the Depression & Anxiety Medications - Looking for Answers forum. Years of questions and answers to peruse.

I've taken Bupropion in the past and my elderly mother is currently on it for depression. It did nothing at all for my symptoms but it's relieving her's. Rather unfair, I think - but I don't begrudge her the relief. Clinical depression is both a familiar and familial misery.

It may require some dose adjustments to find a balance between relief effects and tolerability of side-effects. I wish you the best outcome with your treatment. Have you been to a counselor in the past or present?

Thanks for the reply. Atra.  I’m currently at the half dose stage and it’s quite jarring.  My primary physician is helping me with this medication and I see a counselor for cognitive behavioral therapy.

Funny about your Mom.  I live with mine and you’re so right about it being a familial illness.  

Mom just “decided” to take her Prozac more yesterday.  

I’m going to trust in the dr I have since I’m safe/free of suicidal thoughts.  Rather than fiddle with my dose personally, I’m seeing my dr in 30 days to review the dose.

The insomnia is obviously awful, but I’m adjusting my schedule instead of my dose.  Ha!  (I’m a recovering addict/alcoholic).  

I’m unsure whether this med will be a good choice.  As of now, yucky.  I’m feeling impaired and hoping tolerance with time will turn that around.  

I am glad to be here.  Have not given myself the serious attention this disease/disorder/whatever you call it, has affected my first 55 years and it’s not too late to maybe turn things around.  Doubling the dose in 2 days is scary, tho!  I have commitments.  Do you recommend I maybe stall on the full dose and muddle through my obligations before adding the rest of the clinical dose?  I need to be able to walk/drive and am unsure at times about even basic conversations (hard to put thoughts together-jumbled brain). 

Thank you for the reply, Atra and I will take your suggestion on where to read and THANK YOU for the direction!

I, too, welcome you. I haven’t tried the medication that you are on but I think it is good to trust your doctor on the dosage. They usually start at a very low dose to see if you are allergy to it. You might want to try a psychiatrist as they are doctors with extra training in mental heath issues. Also it takes some time for your body to get use to the medication. So hang in there. We will support you as best we can. 

BW

Hi Laurie,

I also want to welcome you to the Forums. 

Since I lack personal experience with Zyban, I don't really know what to say except that I sure hope it helps you ! ! ! 

Please let us know how it is all working out for you.  These Forums have helped me a lot and I hope they will prove helpful to you too!    - epictetus

Thanks for the reply! I’m on day 5 of 150 mg.  Day 7, I’m to double the dose 😮. Scary, BUT, I notice “anxiety” is aggravated by this med in some.  I’ve had anxiety issues forever.  This anxiety was mental but not to the point of physical.  I’ve learned A LOT about changing my thoughts or even ignoring them.  By trying to “ride the wave” and see what happens, I’m feeling more optimistic about the long term.  

Currently I feel awful, sluggish and slightly impaired.  But I really can appreciate how much difficulty I have concentrating PRE med.  So with proper perspective, I’m just still struggling, overall.  Not all that much more miserable than my usual bad days. 

I’m going to keep sharing here if that’s all right.  Seems I’m quite alone with the zyban, but maybe it will help someone else to see this someday.  I suggested it to my dr after using Chantix to quit nicotine and Chantix really helped my depression as a side effect. So it’s not an option. Not even for off-label prescribing.  Just as well, it’s way too expensive, so it’s not practical.  

Y’all are a wonderfully welcoming group.  I’m a Forum Admin on another topic and I can learn how to be even MORE tactful with my words and I appreciated the gentle welcome here.  about helping people online while I’m here (multi tasking!).

Thank you and hopefully I’ll stick around to be of help to someone else after I visit to vent during this medication experience.

I really am hopeful that I can become a more functional person over time.  Is that normal?  Thanks for listening and the kind replies!

On 3/4/2019 at 5:23 AM, Laurieo said:

Do you recommend I maybe stall on the full dose and muddle through my obligations before adding the rest of the clinical dose?

I think you can definitely trust yourself to determine that, sorry I can't be more helpful there. Tolerability is so person-specific and I must not make the mistake of generalizing my own experiences either with med side effects or symptoms. 

16 hours ago, Laurieo said:

I really am hopeful that I can become a more functional person over time.  Is that normal?

Yes. I do believe greater functionality is a sign of recovery from depression. 

It seems many people describe Zyban's immediate effects as restless nor extra energy - for me, that feeling is similar to one of the physical symptoms of anxiety. Does telling yourself something like this help any? This is my medication, not anxiety. Like a strong cup of coffee, I feel the jitters. This is uncomfortable but it is not unbearable. I can tolerate this because I'm slowly improving. 

Posted (edited)

Greetings Laurieo, as someone who's been and is currently on psychiatric medicine, there's still only limited support I can give. 

Unless there is an allergic reaction, medicines designed for physiological responses and physical symptoms like anti-biotics or blood pressure medicine seem to be more consistent in their effectiveness. Why this is a different story for psycho-active substances I do not know. Even the "natural" substances affect different people quite differently. For example, olanzapine calms me but can have a contraindicated effect on some, making the symptoms it's supposed to treat worse than baseline with the added perk of the side-effects to boot.

A couple of things to watch out for on anti-depressants from my experience,

Suicidal thoughts. When adjusting to a new medicine, after a few days to six weeks they can actually make negative thoughts seem more real and intense. As widely reported and studied as the phenomenon is, its not something I would accept as a normal phase of adapting to a particular medicine but would instead drop like a hot potato and try a different medicine / treatment strategy.

What are the hall-mark side-effects (e.g. "wellbutrin rage" / jitters / akathisia)? If you don't get them, excellent. If so, there may be an alternative medicine that is both effective but doesn't evoke any major side-effects for you.

Building a strong doctor-patient relationship. Here I'm very hesitant to give advice because I haven't always prioritized this one. The doctor is supposed to do the treatment and we are supposed to not doctor ourselves. This is a good rule of thumb when working with mental illness because the very instrument by which we gauge our wellness is what the doctor with an outside expert perspective is treating. The doctor is supposed to be the expert on mental illness and the general population, but because finding the best psychiatric medicine for the time can is inherently experimental, we have to be the expert on ourselves as individuals the rest of the time so there can be a harmony between the needs we communicate to the doctor and the doctor's treatment goals for us. I've had almost continuously since my first psychiatric hospitalization back in 2011 my current psychiatrist. He likes to "wait and watch" when I don't like the side effects. Sometimes this works wonderfully, other times I can't help but jump ship because the medicine makes me feel like crap and is obviously more harmful than good despite my protests. I've ended up being hospitalized as a result of this before though (and fortunately getting the right meds then), so doing that is definitely a last resort.

Edited by OtherKin

Thanks for the considerate replies.   So much!

I had a serious issue with elevated BP that was difficult to bring down yesterday.  Fortunately I have the right meds to self treat, but I did email the dr about my experience and how I treated the issue(s).  It is among many of the short term side effects, so I was prepared to press on and double my dose today (Day 7) but my wonderful dr pulled the plug on the experiment.

I’m going to stick around here and share my upcoming experiments.  

My tolerance to horrible side effects was exceptional as opposed to my behavior of previous years.  

I think there’s a happy medium in that I was almost needing to be transported to an ER had I not recognized how sick I was and taken the action I did.  

Being more accustomed to constant struggles with discomfort has obviously affected me.  I am lucky I caught it when I did and got my evening obligations managed without me so I could just lie down and wait until things finally calmed down.  

I’m disappointed.  I was miserable every day beyond the first one.  But I considered that misery to be temporary and I was able to tolerate a lot more with that mental perspective. 

Thank y’all for the wise and kind replies. Feeling cared about in a forum is something I provide to others and I really appreciated that sort of thing while here.  Another special forum!