Does anyone have any experience with Prolixin?  Someone close to me decided to go off of it and I'm so worried I can't think straight. 

All I know is that it's an antipsychotic, and he said it was giving him blurry vision so he just stopped! 

Oh well, thought I'd toss it out there.:sadwalk:

On 1/13/2020 at 2:30 PM, shyfelyne said:

My boyfriend takes it for schizophrenia. Without it, he gets delusional and his schizophrenia symptoms would return.

Thank you for the response.  Do side effects bother him?

16 hours ago, TopekaK said:

Thank you for the response.  Do side effects bother him?

The most bothersome side effect is he is tired & can't seem to ever get enough sleep. We thought it was his sleep apnea, but he has been religiously  using the CPAP every night for over a years & he is still so tired. He was prescribed modafanil to help but it doesn't work well. They won't prescribe him ritalin because of his schizophrenia even though one doctor some time ago did prescribe it & it worked pretty well with no effect to the effectiveness of the prolixin. But for some reason now, doctors are afraid to prescribe it to him, so I give him some of mine. 

He never mentioned it caused blurriness but he's always had to wear glasses so maybe it wouldn't be noticeable. I hope your friend is doing okay. Please tell me he's doing alright.

He needs to either get back on the fluphenazine (Prolixin) or switch to something else if the blurry vision is really bothering him. Something less anticholinergic, perhaps. I recommend trifluoperazine (Stelazine) if he's going to take a first generation antipsychotic, but it can be hard to find a pharmacy that can get it since it's kinda rarely prescribed and not many companies make it anymore. Haloperidol (Haldol) is an okay temporary to get by, as it's VERY strong, but rates of tardive dyskinesia are highest probably for this antipsychotic. Fluphenazine is basically Haldol without the bad side effects (it's a phenothiazine though as opposed to being a butyrophenone like Haldol).