Birthdays

June322

its my birthday today  and Ive been thinking how its been years now where I kind of just stopped looking forward to the reminder of my date of my birth.

so I just have a question for you all. how do you feel about your birthday ? did you stop counting after a while ? and just not cared. How do yall feel about birthdays In general

thoughts on this topic ?

thanks 🙂

47 minutes ago, June322 said:

its my birthday today  and Ive been thinking how its been years now where I kind of just stopped looking forward to the reminder of my date of my birth.

so I just have a question for you all. how do you feel about your birthday ? did you stop counting after a while ? and just not cared. How do yall feel about birthdays In general

thoughts on this topic ?

thanks 

First of all, happy birthday! 

I honestly don't give my birthday much thought, tbh...just another day. I do make an effort to celebrate my young son's birthday, and acknowledge birthdays of those close to me 

For myself? I honestly don't care...just another day. 

1 hour ago, June322 said:

thoughts on this topic ?

thanks 🙂

Happy Birthday, my friend.

I've had so many birthdays go by that I don't even want to think about them.

Funny this thread popped up just now...I was just talking to a woman friend of mine who happens to be 19 years younger than me. The question of age came up re: relationships. It occurred to me that I'm far too old for her and I to ever be in a "relationship" beyond our current friend status. I must say that the realization depressed me.

"Letting the days go by".

Strange that you posted this thread. I no longer celebrate my own birthday. Although I had plenty of crummy birthdays before,  I permanently relinquished all birthday celebrations after my friend was ********. Her birthday and mine were on the same day. The exact same day. So for me, my birthdays were depressing before, but completely out of the question as there is zero joy in the thought of them now. Some clueless people think I'm just being coy when I tell them I don't celebrate that day, and say things like, "Well, we'll just see about that!" which is also very insulting. Also, weirdly, today is the anniversary of her M*****. Anniversary, another depressing word. Sorry, I am not normally this morose on these boards. But, this is a depression forum after all. I guess you can tell that today has been a very black day for me. I hope yours will be much better. 

33 minutes ago, JD4010 said:

Happy Birthday, my friend.

I've had so many birthdays go by that I don't even want to think about them.

Funny this thread popped up just now...I was just talking to a woman friend of mine who happens to be 19 years younger than me. The question of age came up re: relationships. It occurred to me that I'm far too old for her and I to ever be in a "relationship" beyond our current friend status. I must say that the realization depressed me.

"Letting the days go by".

Not true.  You are both adults.  If you want a relationship to happen don't let age mean anything!  Go for it life is short!:hugs:

1 hour ago, desperateloser said:

Even my parents don't remember my birthday.

My father never remembered my birthday, or my children's birthdays, or even my kids' names. He was a slimy toad. Sounds like your parents are, too. Pay them no heed. You - we - deserve better. 

8 minutes ago, sober4life said:

Not true.  You are both adults.  If you want a relationship to happen don't let age mean anything!  Go for it life is short!:hugs:

Thanks, my friend. I just dunno.

Life is indeed short, and getting shorter all of the time.

I don't think I'm over my long lost GF anyway.

26 minutes ago, JD4010 said:

Thanks, my friend. I just dunno.

Life is indeed short, and getting shorter all of the time.

I don't think I'm over my long lost GF anyway.

I understand it's your choice.  You are basically saying she's my age.  Would I date someone 19 or 20 years older than me?  Of course if I liked the person.  Just don't let anything get in the way of your happiness is all I'm saying.  I want you to be happy above all else!:hugs:

First of all Happy birthday to you my friend.

On a personal note...my birthday is within the next week,I'll be 27 years old,I'm not sure how it will feel now since it's been so long since I've been around my family and friends. It'll be my first birthday since I made it back. But I don't know exactly how I feel about it, throughout my life my family always remembered my birthday,but never celebrated it,so as a child and young teen I didn't know it was a thing to be celebrated. I do feel so badly about it of late bc until recently I haven't thought of my birthday for years,I forgot it and even mixed up the date...and my age,I haven't had a birthday or had the luxury of thinking about such a simplistic thing since I was 24,which didn't bother me where I was bc I was concerned with survival...but now that I can,it's hard to see it as an important day,my friends and family are prepared for it bc they're happy I'm home and missed me. I do see the importance for a birthday to be a milestone though,bc we need them to review our failures and accomplishments...I've decided to get my closest family gifts for my birthday to try and offset my ambiguity,it's a custom in some cultures and helping people does make me genuinely happy...I don't know if I could take a whole day about "just" me...I would want to share it and focus on things that are important. For the past years my birthdays were a blur,but now I'm trying to change that perspective,even as a child they we're just another day...as people grow old people do look at it as "just another day" from desensitization...but it shouldn't be... everyone does deserve time to be appreciated by those around them, everyone wants to feel loved bc were human and that's ok. Personally I'm a relatively shy person in general so I don't like attention but I do like sharing some if I have it. I want to take my time to appreciate what I've gained in my 27 years,what I've learned and what I've lost so that I may remedy my flaws to better myself for me and those around me. A birthday can be just a day,or it can be whatever you want it to be...I do hope someone finds these words inspiring enough to help them have a much more wonderful birthday instead of "just another Sunday" 

Happy birthday, @June322!

I honestly don't care too much about my birthday- for years I've told people to not do anything for me. Not even a party: which lucky for me, I can't remember the last time a party was held for my birthday- I always remembered all this attention and blowing out candles made me get high anxiety when I was little

I remember when I was a toddler, they told me to blow out the candles but I ended up covering my face with my hands because I was so shy XD I hated it when they sung the happy birthday song. Mainly because I just think it's awkward to just sit there with them all staring and singing to you. I always didn't know where to look😥

I wish you a wonderful birthday! 🙂 

Happy belated!

Among the many things that wound down around 50 was birthdays.  A lot of it was loss of interest, much of it due to depression.  But when I hit my 60s it even became a source of dread.  I was suddenly an old man and had no effin' idea how it happened.

For several years I'd try to ease the shock by speaking of myself as if I was a year older.  That actually worked sometimes.

This year's a little harder.  In August I'll be exactly the age my dad was when he died.  (Yep, used one of those online age calculators).  And, tbh, I find myself wondering if I'll be able to match his longevity.  I honestly don't know.

Edited by MarkintheDark