Sign in to follow this  
rhyl

What are you Doing for Self-Care?

I thought it might be helpful to take a look at ways people are taking care of themselves through all of the depression and anxiety and PTSD symptoms.  Taking care of ourselves is hard.  Even if I don't believe anything will help, *doing* something at the very least pulls me out of my suffering just a little. Temporarily, yes.  But then...everything in this life is temporary.

So what do I do?  I have a couple of lists, one of which I carry with me.  When things are super bad and I am bordering on non-functioning, I pull out the list and:

1. Play with, hug, talk to my cats.

2. Color (really, it's very therapeutic).

3. Listen to music.

4. Breathe.  Sometimes the mere act of taking a mindful breath helps.  I have a few apps on my phone that I use, a meditation done by my therapist, and several books I sometimes reference.  

5. Write.  Sometimes I can't put a string of words together, so I make lists or just starting putting words on the paper.  It's amazing what often comes of that.  

6. Go see a movie.

7. Take a shower (I do this a lot.  So glad I don't have to pay the water bill.)

8. Clean out drawers or a closet.

So...those are some of my things.  What are yours?

Sadly, my coping mechanism lately has been drinking...

Not too bright, I know. ..

But I honestly just don't care anymore..

I did quit smoking six months ago, so that's something I guess. I had quit for sixteen years, and then stupidly started up again.

2 hours ago, iWantRope said:

Are there free self-care methods? I'm currently on a salary that makes a third-world minimum wage look like Apple's annual revenue

Sitting outside in nature.

Reading books online.

Mindful breathing.

Taking a shower/bath.

Taking a walk.

Just a few.  I would say there are more that are "free" than not.

3 hours ago, LonelyHiker said:

Same for me of late, unfortunately... despite only feeling worse afterwards. It's a vicious cycle.

Pedicure once or twice a month.

Listen to a song that gets any emotion out of me; replay it until I wear out the feeling. 

Write some lyrics/poetry. 

Go for a 4 mile walk.

I have a notebook of memories, thank-yous, certificates, etc. I'll look through it when I forget if I've ever done a damn thing in my life I can be proud of. 

11 hours ago, rhyl said:

When things are super bad and I am bordering on non-functioning, I pull out the list

Nice idea - I'm going to make a list, too. Like a "crisis kit"  to have on hand when emotions have flown passed any chance at regulation and we're in distress tolerance territory.

10 hours ago, LonelyHiker said:

I did quit smoking six months ago, so that's something I guess. I had quit for sixteen years, and then stupidly started up again.

Every morning I wake up and feel like drinking again.  I'm sure one morning I will and I'll never stop again.

I have signs posted around my house that say:

"Things could be worse, but they are not worse, thank goodness."

I was raised to be a "could be better, but isn't better: how sad, how awful, how shameful, how aggravating, how disappointing" kinda guy.  So reading the "Things could be worse, but they are not worse, thank goodness" signs shifts me from my default position of "attitude" to one of "gratitude."  And boy do I need that.  And that is the greatest thing I do for self-care since it brings me the most peace of mind and joy of living.

Other self-care things are riding the train, playing SImCity or other games like chess and exercising. 

I'm going to try to go to a meetup group every day, so long as I'm physically able to.

Today, a group is going to a museum

Tomorrow, and Wednesday, board games (I normally see my therapist on Wednesdays, but after I cancelled due to the weather forecast last week, he cancelled for two weeks in a row, so I don't have another session until the 6th...), Thursday, anime club

Friday will be night hiking

Saturday will be a movie

//Lets see me miss every one because of being too tired

20 hours ago, Oscar K said:

Pump iron.

Exercise is an investment in oneself that no one can take away.

Ha. Even that got taken away from me. I used to regularly lift. I got to be quite strong. I also did those pushups from a handstand position. I actually felt kind of good about myself back in those days.

Well, as my luck usually runs, I developed severe tendonitis in both elbows. It hurts so bad that it keeps me from sleeping. Nothing helps the pain--EXCEPT a substance that shall remain nameless. But I haven't been able to lift or do pushups for over 5 years now. Even carrying out the garbage can leave me howling in pain.

18 hours ago, duck said:

Sadly, not much.

So how *do* you respond to feeling bad, duck? Some people just sit, watch TV, sleep.

I have long periods where I can't do anything.  

2 hours ago, LonelyHiker said:

Yep, cats are the best...

I got a pair of cats last year. They're so funny when they wrestle.

They also like to follow me around the house while pretending to be disinterested in me (but will immediately bolt after me if I go to another room). Its hilarious.

I wish that they'd let me pick them up more often, but cats can be kind of stand-off-ish.

//made it to the museum last night. Less than an hour of daytime napping, too

Nothing much helps, but I still try these things:

Listening to music
Drink coffee
Watch youtube videos

Talk nonsense aloud when I'm alone

I used to go running or biking when I was fit. I really miss running... 😶
Physical exercise used to work very well.

Edited by APFSDS