So hi.

I can expect a lot of people hating on me for belonging to the emo counterculture, but whatever.

I have plenty of problems. One of them is, nobody ever hires me even though by now I must have sent out thousands of job applications. I am 19, almost 20, and in college.

I'm also gay, and it causes me a lot of problems. Here in Texas, I see no guys I actually like (that are emo), and I am only attracted to those kinds of people. Or, without going into too much detail, they aren't compatible with me. So every time a guy on online dating asks me out, I am just disappointed.

Hi xXxXEntranceScardenXxXx,

It is nice to meet you. 

I am so sorry that you are suffering. 

It is really heartbreaking what you are going through . . . really heartbreaking ! 

You sound like a really nice person and you deserve a good life. 

I wish I had some good advice for you but sadly I lack the wisdom. 

Hopefully you will receive many responses to your post.

My heart goes out to you!     - epictetus

I've always thought the Emo culture was very interesting.  Sadly I do not know that much about it.  A friend of mine from Japan talked to me once about the Emo culture in his country.  Maybe it is different there than it is here in the US. 

Hi and welcome--I am sorry you are having such a hard time...I think if you just give it some time, you will find the right person soon enough...Being an EMO isn't a bad thing..I hope things will improve for you very soon, is good you came here to talk about it and I hope you find this website to be helpful..8-]]

9 minutes ago, Paris43 said:

Being an EMO isn't a bad thing

I know this, it's people who hate on me for the way I look and what I listen to that are my problem.

I do appreciate the gist of your reply, though.

19 minutes ago, Epictetus said:

I've always thought the Emo culture was very interesting.

Thank you.

I didn’t have any luck finding a job when I was 19-20, and that was 10 years ago. I applied for every type of retail job imaginable. I wasn’t employed until I was 22, and that was my first interview. I think employers are far more reluctant to hire anyone who is ‘too young’ than in the past. From what I’ve heard from people of my parent’s generation it was once common for kids 14-15 years of age to have after school jobs.

I don’t want to minimize your problems, but I’m nearly 30 and I’ve never been asked out by another guy, period. Consider the bright side as far as that is concerned. 

Edited by SqueezeWax

I'm sorry for your struggles,but I'd like to analyze a little, you're gay and emo,and these are two specific requirements for your preferred mate.Its hard enough to find a woman in today's society to have a relationship with, being that you're gay and would like to share your emo lifestyle with your preferred partner really narrows the playing field,now don't get me wrong here...you want what you want,but it's just a more rare occurrence thus adding to the variables in you equation. I do think you shouldn't compromise though,and not settle for less,I think perhaps a more populated city,one in which you can find wonder and have an interest in could maybe be a next step? Or at least online dating for specific demographics... I personally don't know you so I can't say but if your environment doesn't accept you so easily there is ALWAYS one that will...the world is a very...very big place...It may benefit to creating a mid-long term goal sheet...write down the things you truely want and feel you need,find the easiest one on the list and arrange them from easiest to hardest and seek the solution for each one...now you're having troubles with a job,perhaps a staffing center could help get some temporary work and get your experience built up to get better jobs. Where I'm from is a small rural town and all we have is factory and engineering low-high grade jobs mainly. But work involving hard labor is usually easier to find than those in which you don't. Try landscaping? Volunteer to have a stronger community integration? Are you crafty? Make trinkets or dog houses if you must to sell...I know finding a job isn't easy but it's going to happen eventually my friend,just don't quit trying and you WILL succeed. When you seek an answer it seeks you in return...hope I could've helped you a little.

Volunteering seems like it could help a little... And temporary work. The thing is that I did have a seasonal job for 2 months, but that was more than a year ago, and haven't been able to get one since then. So I guess I could just try rotating the seasonal jobs I get, if I can get them.

Hello EntranceScarden (how clever!), and welcome to these forums. I am so sorry to hear of your struggles. I remember my youngest one having the very same issue of zero employment opportunities at her age. We also live in Texas ("The friendly state?" yeahright.) Texas can be about as friendly as a diamondback to anyone who is not a good ol' boy and it holds true for anyone who doesn't fit in. When you are unique, a lot of these conservatives wanna pretend you don't exist so they won't have to deal with "those dammed foreigners.'" Trust me, I do get it. A company I worked for years ago, a place I thought was accepting, hired a young gal. During her interviews, she had worn slacks. On her first day of work after she was hired, she wore a skirt, and had (gasp!) a tattoo all the way around her ankle. They talked about firing her immediately -  for her tattoo! It's just vulgar, that kind of holier-than-thouism. With that kind of close-mindedness rampant here, it is easy to understand why you are having so much trouble. There also exist accepting people here in Texas, though. You've also found a safe and accepting place here, and you will find zero hatred on these forums. The haters get tagged and blocked out, from what I have read, so if anyone here acts like a jackass, you just need to flag them (little flag icon by their name) and the admins will do the rest. 

Well this got long, I apologize. Welcome *a-board!* May you find some peace here, young sir. 🕊✌️

Yeah its too bad the holidays are over, stores are always looking to hire temp work around that time. It's good you have had a job though. Persistency is key with getting a job, although sometimes that isn't enough. Try going to the stores you applied for in person and ask if they are hiring and if yes what positions. I know most applications these days are online and unfortunately most applicants don't interact with anyone in person unless they are called in. I think it leaves a much greater impression for them to see you in person although I know doing so may be a hassle.

1 hour ago, Tearz said:

I remember my youngest one having the very same issue of zero employment opportunities at her age

My dad doesn't understand this. At all. When I hear these out-of-touch people on the news saying we might 'get into' a recession, I laugh inside. Things are already terrible. I would go so far as to say that it's worse than a recession but not bad enough to make people KNOW it's a depression.

"The friendly state?" yeahright.

And you're right about that...

Edited by xXxXEntranceScardenXxXx

Don't know if this would be helpful or not, but when I was younger and couldn't find work anywhere, I got a job shelving books in a public library.  I found that the people who work in public libraries tend to be very accepting of alternate lifestyles, clothing and so forth.  - epictetus