Sign in to follow this  
Alin05

My Mirtazapine Experience

WARNING!
Do not take my personal opinions as a medical advice!
Mirtazapine is a noradrenergic and specific serotonergic antidepressant drug with a very interesting non linear action. It's effects are very much dose dependent. At 7.5 mg it has a strong sedative action, while it's adrenergic effects are negligible. At this dose it can be used in combination with other antidepressants to cancel the sleep problems caused by them. At 15 mg it's still a strong sedative, but it's adrenergic and serotonergic action is more pronounced. At this dose it still cancels the side effects of other antidepressants but their dose has to be lowered. Mirtazapine alone is not a very efficient antidepressant at 15 mg. At 30 and 45 mg it's adrenergic effects are very strong and mirtazapine becomes a very activating drug, while it's sedative effects become so negligible that it can even cause insomnia. From my experience, this drug should be used in three ways:
1. To cancel the side effects of other drugs at a dose of only 7.5 mg.
2. To cancel the side effects of other drugs and to obtain a stronger antidepressant effect in combination with other drugs at 15 mg. The dose of the other drug has to be adjusted in this combination.
3. As a single drug, without the need for any other antidepressant at 22.5 mg. At 30 or 45 mg, mirtazapine's adrenergic effects become to strong and it can cause insomnia and increased anxiety, so higher doses should be avoided.

This was a very helpful guide and much appreciated. I am prescribed 30 mgs Mirtazapine and the sleep quality with this dose is not as effective as it was when I was at 15 mgs. It was lights out. I plan to go back to 15 mgs to experience a more restful sleep to help with the daily Bupropion 100 sr twice daily. I plan to start tonight. 

On 2/16/2019 at 6:58 PM, Alin05 said:

WARNING!
Do not take my personal opinions as a medical advice!
Mirtazapine is a noradrenergic and specific serotonergic antidepressant drug with a very interesting non linear action. It's effects are very much dose dependent. At 7.5 mg it has a strong sedative action, while it's adrenergic effects are negligible. At this dose it can be used in combination with other antidepressants to cancel the sleep problems caused by them. At 15 mg it's still a strong sedative, but it's adrenergic and serotonergic action is more pronounced. At this dose it still cancels the side effects of other antidepressants but their dose has to be lowered. Mirtazapine alone is not a very efficient antidepressant at 15 mg. At 30 and 45 mg it's adrenergic effects are very strong and mirtazapine becomes a very activating drug, while it's sedative effects become so negligible that it can even cause insomnia. From my experience, this drug should be used in three ways:
1. To cancel the side effects of other drugs at a dose of only 7.5 mg.
2. To cancel the side effects of other drugs and to obtain a stronger antidepressant effect in combination with other drugs at 15 mg. The dose of the other drug has to be adjusted in this combination.
3. As a single drug, without the need for any other antidepressant at 22.5 mg. At 30 or 45 mg, mirtazapine's adrenergic effects become to strong and it can cause insomnia and increased anxiety, so higher doses should be avoided.

Thanks, very good overview! This reflects my experiences very well. I've just been taken off the mirtazapine to cancel out insomnia from Effexor, which isn't going so well, so I can confirm that 15 mg is a very good sleeping aid when compared to either highly addictive benzos/sleeping pills, or higher risk/side effect antipsychotics.

I plan to take it for dexedrine withdrawal because there was a pilot study done on it and seems it helped although I don't know what dose they used. Also im worried about weight gain from it