Jump to content
A New Look Read more... ×

Recommended Posts

Hey everyone! I’m a 38 yo male, single and live alone with my 2 dogs. I’ve got a great family and a lot of friends but none that I call super close anymore. Lately, maybe the last 2 years or so I’ve seemed to battle bouts of depression and anxiety.

Some days are great, other days I can’t stop thinking about loneliness and just not fitting in. I’ll avoid certain places just to keep from dealing with crowds but then the next day I have no problem talking to strangers and enjoying the conversation.

I’ve recently changed jobs and have been out of town for the past few weeks for training. I enjoy the job but bring away from all my comfort places has caused the depression to kick back in. I’m so tired of it, days I feel great and have a positive outlook and others I fight to keep from breaking down. Just want to figure it out and live life.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Soconfusedallthetime said:

Hey everyone! I’m a 38 yo male, single and live alone with my 2 dogs. I’ve got a great family and a lot of friends but none that I call super close anymore. Lately, maybe the last 2 years or so I’ve seemed to battle bouts of depression and anxiety.

Some days are great, other days I can’t stop thinking about loneliness and just not fitting in. I’ll avoid certain places just to keep from dealing with crowds but then the next day I have no problem talking to strangers and enjoying the conversation.

I’ve recently changed jobs and have been out of town for the past few weeks for training. I enjoy the job but bring away from all my comfort places has caused the depression to kick back in. I’m so tired of it, days I feel great and have a positive outlook and others I fight to keep from breaking down. Just want to figure it out and live life.

Have you considered getting some medication to help take the edge off 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Floor2017 said:

Have you considered getting some medication to help take the edge off 

I’ve been thinking of seeing a doctor about it. My stubborn side says it’s just life and I need to toughen up but I know I need help. Is there any natural medicine you would recommend?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Soconfusedallthetime said:

I’ve been thinking of seeing a doctor about it. My stubborn side says it’s just life and I need to toughen up but I know I need help. Is there any natural medicine you would recommend?

5 HTP

any vitamins that help with moods 

like the B vitamins.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm really sorry this is happening to you, Soconfusedallthetime,

     I think a visit to a licensed physician might prove helpful.  Sometimes depression can be linked to organic pathology in the brain and only a physician can diagnose that, suggest treatment options or rule it out as a cause.  

     Change can sometimes cause stress and stress has been identified, in some cases, as a cause of pathology.  I wish I had something really wise to offer you, but all I can really think of at the moment is the possibility of getting a complete medical workup. 

    I do want to welcome you to the Forums.  I hope you will find them as helpful to you as they have been to me.   - epictetus

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hello and welcome, we're pleased to have you join us. Once you've had a chance to look around, I believe you'll find some useful information and make a connection with others who are struggling a with depression and anxiety.

On 2/11/2019 at 6:53 PM, Soconfusedallthetime said:

Some days are great, other days I can’t stop thinking about loneliness and just not fitting in.

Yep. We get it. So, imagine you're holding a beach ball under water. It wants to surface but you're strong enough to keep it under you. Still, it requires energy and focus to force it down which could instead be directed outward. Then along comes a wave or some other disturbance, it upsets your balance and that beach ball pops up sending you into water. This is how I picture my struggles with depression and anxiety. 

If hanging in there worked just fine there wouldn't be a reason for this place or a need for mental health. As you've taken a brave step by joining us, you've already spent the requisite time hoping things would go back to being fine and telling yourself it's gonna be ok - and that's no longer working.

There are different ways to manage depression and anxiety. Getting an appointment with a doctor and visiting with a therapist is a great way to begin. I sense you're a little concerned about medication (we can talk about that because demystifying it reduces worry), it's not something you must deal with immediately. Unburdening your mind, figuring out what that beach ball is how to deal with it effectively will produce results.  

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×