A New Look Read more... ×
werise55

What’s a good reason to live?

On 2/11/2019 at 12:14 PM, Oscar K said:

We are here to throw lifelines to every treasured forum family member.

Please stick with us and yourself.

Oscar

The lifeline I need is sufficient finances to quit my job; can any fellow DF member throw me this lifeline?

2 hours ago, iWantRope said:

The lifeline I need is sufficient finances to quit my job; can any fellow DF member throw me this lifeline?

I’m in my late twenties.  I tell people all the time that I’m retiring.  They all just laugh at me.  They literally laugh at my face.

On 2/11/2019 at 7:13 AM, werise55 said:

But if im not happy and miserable why would i think of helping others?

If nothing else, misery loves company (trite but true). Helping others can mean simply reaching out to others and identifying with them. At least I find that it helps to know others are in the same boat, and we can work together to defeat the suffering and pain.

3 hours ago, anon22ae said:

If nothing else, misery loves company (trite but true). Helping others can mean simply reaching out to others and identifying with them. At least I find that it helps to know others are in the same boat, and we can work together to defeat the suffering and pain.

That is essentially what this place is all about.

The so-called little things in life.

They don't solve the biggies like where can a 50+year old without skills, talent or decent credentials get a new, interesting job that doesn't involve seeing a lot of people(and please don't suggest computers of coding as I am both rubbish at it and more to the point have no interest with computers whatsoever..) and also comes with a decent enough salary.

I digress.

Kick-boxing when I can, jogging, reading, netflix, good food, vino, music.. 

Either shadow boxing or jogging today. Or both  I intend to run a 52 min. 10 K in the springtime. Sub 54 was surprisingly easy. Three years back I ran a 23 min 5 k without much training. Not bad for an old codger.

But yes, stuff like that keeps me afloat and takes me out of my head, even if it's just for a moment.

Dunno about reason to live, but it helps.

Edited by samadhiSheol

52 minute 10 K sounds like fun.  You have to be in top shape for that.  I don't like being around that much people to run in the actual race.  That's why I never made it to the half marathon.  Maybe I should try to get myself to the point where I can do that every morning.

14 hours ago, sober4life said:

Yes I love running too.  The feeling you get from it is amazing!

Your profile pic makes you look like a normal attractive person I can’t see that you have problems. Not saying you don’t 

On 2/12/2019 at 2:15 AM, Atra said:

Me too. The way it is now is not indicative of the way it will always be. That's true about loneliness and everything.

Sometimes we just have to find value in the smaller things we currently undervalue. Sometimes it's symptoms like anhedonia that make it impossible to enjoy anything. 

I tried but no avail 

3 hours ago, werise55 said:

I tried but no avail 

Like I said sometimes symptoms make it near impossible to enjoy anything and until we can manage them, it doesn't matter what we believe is causing the great emptiness felt.

My mind is given to images of grandiosity when I think of what would be a good life. What is grand isn't the measure of what is good in a life and that's what I'm talking about

I read over and over again the same stories of people who get what they most hoped for only to find that mental illness has followed them all the way to the top. 

7 hours ago, werise55 said:

Your profile pic makes you look like a normal attractive person I can’t see that you have problems. Not saying you don’t 

My profile pic is Claire Coffee an actress.  She was on Grimm a very good show.  

Edited by sober4life

if nothing else, a reason to live : fear of the unknown.

i don't believe in God or an after-life, so the concept of not existing on a meta-physical level scares the ever living shit out of me. wtf does it even mean to not exist? its the ultimate existential crisis. it actually paralyzes me sometimes thinking about my consciousness would just disappearing. poof?! there is no more "me" as time goes on for billions, trillions, gazillions of years.

that aside, i agree with the "little things" comments. i love great television, movies, video-games, food, live comedy/music/theater.. sometimes i feel miserable not "creating" or being "productive", but i sure as hell enjoy consuming, and we live in a time where its better than ever. 😯