I need a hero

How much sleep have you been getting?

Sleep is so vitally important especially for people with depression.

Lately, I’ve only been getting maybe 4 or 5 hours a night or less, with, if I’m lucky, a Saturday or a Sunday with 8 or 9 hours, but lately it’s been averaging around 5.

5 hours of sleep here and there is fine, but I can’t do that long term.  I can feel it starting to take its toll on me.  It’s getting harder and harder to complete daily tasks without having a breakdown.

A month and a half ago I was forced to transfer to another account at work and this is the first time in my life I ever had to consistently work 1st shift.  I’m not adjusting well at all.

I'm really sorry you are having sleep troubles.  Currently I am on a medication called Trazadone for those and now I get about 8 hours of sleep per night.  I sure hope you will be able to find a cure for your sleep deprivation ! ! !  - epictetus

I'm on the opposite end of the spectrum.
I sleep too much and have done for a long time. At most it can be 16 hours - wreaking havoc on my health tbh.
Have difficulties waking up and going to appointments earlier.

😞 Partly it's because I just don't want to be awake.

My sleep is so scattered. I have a natural tendency to be a night owl, but not working it leaves my sleep up to so many variables i'm lucky if i can have a consistent sleep pattern for more than a week or two. Knowing that a regular sleep schedule is so important to mental health it often causes me to wonder if it's making things worse for me. Times where i have been able to sleep more consistently i could tell i felt better.

As far as the OP a few tips I've learned...

Try to go to sleep and wake up around the same time every day, even on days off.

Don't lounge around where you sleep. Let where you sleep be only for sleep and not for tv watching, etc...

Turn off the tv or other screens. If you're like me and have trouble sleeping without them then try A) using something with a smaller screen and B) using a blue screen filter.

Have a pre-bed routine. Having a routine before bed helps to alert your mind/body that you are approaching sleep and helps your body to begin moving towards slowing down. One friend i knew would take a shower then have a couple cookies with tea each night before bed and they crashed pretty easily most nights.

And, of course, avoid sugar and caffeine a couple hours ahead of time.

18 minutes ago, Haunted Rain said:

My sleep is so scattered. I have a natural tendency to be a night owl, but not working it leaves my sleep up to so many variables i'm lucky if i can have a consistent sleep pattern for more than a week or two. Knowing that a regular sleep schedule is so important to mental health it often causes me to wonder if it's making things worse for me. Times where i have been able to sleep more consistently i could tell i felt better.

As far as the OP a few tips I've learned...

Try to go to sleep and wake up around the same time every day, even on days off.

Don't lounge around where you sleep. Let where you sleep be only for sleep and not for tv watching, etc...

Turn off the tv or other screens. If you're like me and have trouble sleeping without them then try A) using something with a smaller screen and B) using a blue screen filter.

Have a pre-bed routine. Having a routine before bed helps to alert your mind/body that you are approaching sleep and helps your body to begin moving towards slowing down. One friend i knew would take a shower then have a couple cookies with tea each night before bed and they crashed pretty easily most nights.

And, of course, avoid sugar and caffeine a couple hours ahead of time.

What’s a blue screen filter?

1 hour ago, BeyondWeary said:

Yes, sleep is so important. I had to get a prescription from my psychiatrist to help me sleep. It gives me a break from my depression and anxiety that are really bad right now. 

BW

What are you on?  I haven’t had any prescription medication in a long time.

I was on seroquel low dose for insomnia when I worked 3rd shift.  It worked quite well.  Only real side effect was unwanted weight gain after taking it for a year.  That and it might leave me semi foggy or groggy, but it wasn’t severe.

I was on Paxil more recently, but I took myself off of it.  I still have a few dozen pills in my room.

I sleep about 8-9 hours a night, and sometimes have to take a nap earlier in the day. I guess I'm also on the opposite side of this, I get too much sleep. I think it has a lot to do with the citalopram that I am taking. But getting too much sleep seems to have a really negative effect also. 

9 hours ago, Epictetus said:

Currently I am on a medication called Trazadone 

Same for me.  I used Ambien on and off for several years, but the effectiveness of Ambien wears off within a month or so for me.  I was and am a light sleeper.  Off of meds, I will eventually adjust and start falling asleep like I always have, that is to say, not very well.  Trazadone gave me grogginess and a headache on waking for a time, but that seems to have gone away.  Sleep time varies between six and eight hours a night when taken.  There are diet and natural helps, like melatonin, valerian, and kava kava, but I never had much luck with any of those. 

Hope you find a method one way or another.  Going without it, or short on it, hits me pretty hard and within a few days.  For me the other worst part is laying awake in bed, wishing I could sleep. 

best of luck, Bulgakov

Edited by Bulgakov

Yeah sleep is oh so important....it really is.  I can barely function when sleep deprived.  It sucks and makes my depression and anxiety worse.

Over the years my sleep schedule has changed quite a bit.  During some phases I would kinda sleep in short shifts throughout the day. 

Sometimes I would go to bed ridiculously early and get up at like 2am 🙂   And for much of the past year I was a total night owl...going to bed at dawn and getting out of bed just before sunset.  And of course there were the times when I was in a pit and barely got out of bed at all.  All of these phases had to do with how bad or good I was feeling mentally at the time.  And all of these things would worry or sometimes even frustrate the people who care about me... the people I care about.  

Lately I've been getting about 7 hours of sleep.  And I mean actual sleep, not just lying in bed.  Yeah there's a big difference.  I try to make it so my head hits the pillow about 9 or 10 hours before I plan to wake up, and now at specific times.  This is new to me though 🙂  

I hope everyone gets a good night's sleep tonight! 🙂  

Edited by AloneGuy
TYPOS :)

I got 7 hours last night, but I cheated and took a Benadryl.  I naturally went to bed a little after 10, but woke up for about an hour around 2.  That’s when I took the Benadryl.  It’s the most sleep I’ve gotten in the past 9 nights.  My body still feels tired and I’m not sure if that’s because of the Benadryl, or because my body still needs to recover from the previous 9 nights, or both.

I usually get 6 or 7 hours of sleep but there has been someone that I can't get out of my mind.  I have such a huge crush on this person!  I lay awake thinking about them and I'm lucky if I can manage to get a nap.

3 hours ago, sober4life said:

I usually get 6 or 7 hours of sleep but there has been someone that I can't get out of my mind.  I have such a huge crush on this person!  I lay awake thinking about them and I'm lucky if I can manage to get a nap.

I guess you and I are in the same place haha.  I usually can fall asleep.  My problem is waking up at 2 or 3 in the morning and not being able to fall back to sleep, but yes, someone has definitely been on my mind too.

The good news is that any sleep that is missed can be made up for with a few nights of good, restful sleep.

I've been getting about 4 hours a night lately, it's enough and the weekend is in sight. Can grab a few more hours there

I am fortunate if I get about 7 hours--it depends on if I am sick or not, if I am I tend to sleep maybe 8-9 hours...Your so right up there, sleep is crucial...I feel so draggy and tired from a lack of sleep--is awful!! 8-]]

22 hours ago, I need a hero said:

What are you on?  I haven’t had any prescription medication in a long time.

I was on seroquel low dose for insomnia when I worked 3rd shift.  It worked quite well.  Only real side effect was unwanted weight gain after taking it for a year.  That and it might leave me semi foggy or groggy, but it wasn’t severe.

I was on Paxil more recently, but I took myself off of it.  I still have a few dozen pills in my room.

I'm on Latuda which is for bipolar depression yet It really helps with being able to sleep. I also have taken Trazadone in the past which worked well.

BW 

I sleep 6-8 hrs a night but not without help, i cycle between trazadone and gabapentin every 3 months, any longer on 1 and it loses effectiveness but always take tylenol pm with both

I take Nyquil as an add on occassionally to boost effectiveness, sometimes wondering if all these OTC meds have been tested with each other. I decided though sleep above all else is the most important, so do what it takes right!

I average 6-7 hours a night, sometimes less, sometimes more...no assistance needed lol (well, maybe a cerveza or two).

Slumber is one of the few pleasures afforded to me anymore.

Glad you made this thread!! sleep seems to be underrated when it comes to its vitality for over all mental and physical health . personally my sleeping has gone back to it dark days where I get very little sleep and I usually cant sleep at night and only sleep a little in the day and definetly has made my physical and mental health worsen . i hope i can fix it soon and get better sleep

41 minutes ago, June322 said:

Glad you made this thread!! sleep seems to be underrated when it comes to its vitality for over all mental and physical health . personally my sleeping has gone back to it dark days where I get very little sleep and I usually cant sleep at night and only sleep a little in the day and definetly has made my physical and mental health worsen . i hope i can fix it soon and get better sleep

I hope you can to my friend