Crowded Public Places

Grounded

Just wanted to say I was able to go out to dinner last night, and also to Walmart and didn't have one anxious moment. To some that might not sound like a big deal BUT to me it's a huge deal! SInce I can remember I've had horrible anxiety going shopping, especially when its crowded and would leave me feeling dizzy, weak legs, feeling smothered etc, and just being out in a crowded place was very hard. But last night it was such a huge relief! It felt so good! 

Here's to more good day ahead! (I hope) 

50 minutes ago, Gilberto Cintron said:

Hi Grounded,

It sounds like you're well,  grounded. I glad to hear you had a wonderful evening and enjoyed going out. I had a horrible night the way Wellbutrin made me feel. It was so horrible that I'm afraid to continue with it. 

Thank You! It's been a very long road, and for the past 25 years it's been rough. I've had my share of anxiety, mediciation side effects, etc so I do know how you feel. I think I've been living under this blanket of anxiety/panic/depression I forgot what it felt like to actually feel OK doing something as simple as going to the grocery store. But believe me if I can get to the point of feeling better anyone can. 

Hope that you do start feeling better soon!

p.s what side effects are you having from the Wellbutrin?

1 minute ago, Grounded said:

Thank You! It's been a very long road, and for the past 25 years it's been rough. I've had my share of anxiety, mediciation side effects, etc so I do know how you feel. I think I've been living under this blanket of anxiety/panic/depression I forgot what it felt like to actually feel OK doing something as simple as going to the grocery store. But believe me if I can get to the point of feeling better anyone can. 

Hope that you do start feeling better soon!

p.s what side effects are you having from the Wellbutrin?

Today is only day five. But yesterday I woke feeling great. I took the WB in the morning and by afternoon started to feel a little jittery. Then in the evening I got a terrible headache on the back of my skull, my body felt strange that I started panicking and I wanted to get out of my body.  It was horrible but I was able to remember that this may be a side effect and that this to shall pass. I tossed and turned and may have gotten some sleep, but when I got up this morning felt remnants of what I felt last night, and still do that is why I'm debating whether I take it or tough it out till I can my doctor next week.

Grounded, 

Goodfor you. Just remember most people are too involved in themselves to be concerned about you. Took me a while to figure that out that myself.

Gilberto,

Ask your Dr. For some buspirone to get past Wellbutrin's anxiety stage. I got used to it after a while, and only rarely needed the buspirone after that, but a lot of us know how much the anxiety sucks. Of course you have to convince your Dr. That you wont abuse the buspirone, but its not addicting. It worked miracles for me.

Well done @Grounded!

That's terrific and it's a victory you can be proud of. Perhaps the work you're doing is paying off. 

I wonder if there are any skills or coping strategies in particular you can share with us which you believe had an impact?

Did you cope ahead by either knowing the environment you'd be in, the people you were with or what you might talk about or do? What if anything did you do if you felt anxious thoughts begin to bubble up? Did you turn your inner perception outward to engage as opposed to self-reflect? Was there an internal dialog you had throughout which supported you?

Thanks for sharing a triumph, it is always encouraging to hear of these victories as well as setbacks. 

I used to have a panic attack every time I went to Walmart.  The closest one around here is so crowded you can barely walk through it sometimes.  They are open 24 hours though so I recommend going when most people are sleeping.  If I have to go to Walmart I will leave the house when it's still dark sometimes and I will be the only one there.

14 hours ago, Atra said:

Well done @Grounded!

That's terrific and it's a victory you can be proud of. Perhaps the work you're doing is paying off. 

I wonder if there are any skills or coping strategies in particular you can share with us which you believe had an impact?

Did you cope ahead by either knowing the environment you'd be in, the people you were with or what you might talk about or do? What if anything did you do if you felt anxious thoughts begin to bubble up? Did you turn your inner perception outward to engage as opposed to self-reflect? Was there an internal dialog you had throughout which supported you?

Thanks for sharing a triumph, it is always encouraging to hear of these victories as well as setbacks. 

I think it has to do with I was tired of feeling this way, for many many years I've had such bad anxiety, and not being able to do normal things like everyone else and feeling on the verge of having a panic attack all the time. I've had it for so many years now that I've associated my anxiety/panic to everything and everything made me feel bad. I wanted to not be afraid anymore so I started doing research, reading everything that I could about why I have felt this way for so long and it came down to it wasn't the places, things, people that I was afraid of it was just the anxious feeling. So, I found a really helpful book and it had really high reviews that I had to find out what it was about, started reading it and after awhile it really started to make sense, and I started to practice what it suggested and now when I feel anxiety coming on I can say 'ok go ahead do what you will', and just starting to really believe that the anxiety was so much less of a threat that it hasn't gotten extreme. Mind you though I have to do this often, and I do believe there is a way to 're-wire' your though process on it, which I never believed it was possible before but it's actually working! I've been this way for over 25+ years and even before that as a child I can remember feeling this way just not as severe so this was a huge improvement. Anyway, all the other things that go along with it such as ocd, depression, dp, once the anxiety starts to improve so have they. It took me way to long to get to this point, and I have just applied band aids such as medication or other things and never really worked on the actual problem. I'm not saying anything negative about medications at all by the way, I've taken them and they have helped but I still had anxiety, and panic attack flare ups so I never really worked on the root of the problem (anxiety). I actually didn't even plan on going to walmart that night, I just did it without thinking until after I left, and it hit me "I did not feel anxious once'! I know I have to continue working on this still for awhile but I figure I've had years of suffering, so it will take awhile to finally be relieved of it. Just like to master a craft, it takes years of pratice and training, you can't go to a one day class and expect to be very good at it. 

Sorry for the long post here, thanks to those who take the time to read it. 

13 hours ago, sober4life said:

I used to have a panic attack every time I went to Walmart.  The closest one around here is so crowded you can barely walk through it sometimes.  They are open 24 hours though so I recommend going when most people are sleeping.  If I have to go to Walmart I will leave the house when it's still dark sometimes and I will be the only one there.

Yes! I don't know why Walmart caused it to be so bad, maybe the lighting, or being that its always so crowded, or that it's a really big store and it seems so overwhelming. I've also tried to go at night, and early mornings and it did help a little but not quite.