Depression with anxiety symptoms

kmburly

Hello,  

My therapist has told me that my depression outs itself in anxiety, and it is a really tough thing for me. I feel like it is influencing my whole life, work, friendships and my relationship.

I worry all the time, worry that I will fail at work, that my friends will drop me and that my significant other is going to leave me. And when I get busy these feelings subside, but the problem is the lack of motivation to do anything that I normally enjoy. I will go out with friends but if I am supposed to entertain myself I just end up sitting and worrying. 

Does anyone have any tips? Or can they relate ? 

I am worried that if I don't do anything soon I am going to push people away and mess up my own life .... 

17 minutes ago, kmburly said:

Hello,  

My therapist has told me that my depression outs itself in anxiety, and it is a really tough thing for me. I feel like it is influencing my whole life, work, friendships and my relationship.

I worry all the time, worry that I will fail at work, that my friends will drop me and that my significant other is going to leave me. And when I get busy these feelings subside, but the problem is the lack of motivation to do anything that I normally enjoy. I will go out with friends but if I am supposed to entertain myself I just end up sitting and worrying. 

Does anyone have any tips? Or can they relate ? 

I am worried that if I don't do anything soon I am going to push people away and mess up my own life .... 

My friend you can not put this kind of weight upon your shoulders because all it will do is bring you down.  Just try to do the best you can and take it one day at a time that is all any of us can do.  Try to concentrate on what you want to do with family and friends but don’t over do it because it will ware you out trying to hard to try to satisfy others.  Hang in there my friend and I hope nothing but the best for you 

6 hours ago, Extremebeginner said:

I can relate for sure. Take small things that you feel you can do, andcomplete them ona at a time. Not an infinite list, really small things you can accomplish. Dont tet overwhelmedwith everything, try and focus on just the essential, one step at a timr

I have trouble focusing on the small things as the big picture overwhelms me. The worrying almost paralyzes me to the point where I get nothing accomplished. I can work, I do pretty well with that because of the significance of paying bills, but in my personal life I am getting NOTHING accomplished at the moment.

I know how that feels. I feel that way too. When I am by myself all I feel like doing is crying. Otherwise, I can pretend like I'm okay when I'm not, like at work.

Have you seen a psychiatrist? They are doctors that specialize in mental health and know how meds work with brain chemistry. It may take a while to find which med works best for you but it can help you through this.

Hope you keep coming back, reading, and posting. It should help also.

BW

Hi Kim

I totally relate. Its like circling the drain waiting to get sucked down. All i can say is keep busy somehow. If youre occupied or exhausted from being occupied you cant obsess over the 1000 things that pop into your head to worry about. Exercise helps if you're able.

Other than that, maybe see a Dr. About getting some meds to take the edge off. Ive been off my meds for a few years, and im going back on them. It sucks but so does feeling horrible.

To borrow a phrase: one day at a time...

Good luck.

6 hours ago, kmburly said:

I have trouble focusing on the small things as the big picture overwhelms me. The worrying almost paralyzes me to the point where I get nothing accomplished. I can work, I do pretty well with that because of the significance of paying bills, but in my personal life I am getting NOTHING accomplished at the moment.

The big picture, I have to forget about it. My objective is to get through my day to bed by doing the small things one at a time. I cannot work, and paying bills will happen one day, til then I cut back on all expenses. My doctor knows that I just wont gel to work on time or even stay there, so he has signed me off, which makes me feel even more useless, with nothing to accomplish, even if I was motivated too. Hopefully this downward phase will reverse soon, cuz I dont get a seconds pleasure

I'm gonna go with @BeyondWeary and @Steveab63on this one and suggest the route with a psychiatrist.  Hopefully your therapist can recommend someone appropriate.

I've been in the same boat, particularly the past year...and it's overwhelmed me at times.  Sometimes, yes, those fears were well-founded.  But only some of them.  My brain, however, would be inclined to take on every damn thing.  Pharma intervention has helped considerably.  For me, there's a considerable brain chemistry issue here.  I feel like I'm getting some control over my thoughts.

That's not to say I'm not still facing a lot of sh#t.  But the meds enable me to put those thoughts on a shelf for the time being.  That is, I'm not in denial, but I'm able to ask myself if those issues are something with which I need to deal TODAY.  Usually the answer is no.  Breaking out of old thinking patterns has been an adjustment - that's where my T and CBT come into play - but the pharmacological help has actually yielded results.

Edited by MarkintheDark

On 2/2/2019 at 6:51 AM, Extremebeginner said:

I agree, everything is helping but pharma intervention is a necessary measure to gain enough control  at the wotst moments, so that other treatment therapies, have a chance. For me controlling the anxiety can give me enough room to breath allowing me to attempt to retrain the brain on the rest 

I know deep down that you are all correct and my therapist has been trying to convince me as well. I am really stubborn, I've done anti depressants once and I disliked it so much. I didn't feel like myself anymore, I don't feel like that now either though :*( 

4 minutes ago, kmburly said:

I know deep down that you are all correct and my therapist has been trying to convince me as well. I am really stubborn, I've done anti depressants once and I disliked it so much. I didn't feel like myself anymore, I don't feel like that now either though :*( 

You have to keep trying until you get the right cocktail medication for you.  Don’t quit on medication because there are one out there that is just right for you

I agree, everything is helping but pharma intervention is a necessary measure to gain enough control  at the wotst moments, so that other treatment therapies, have a chance. For me controlling the anxiety can give me enough room to breath allowing me to attempt to retrain the brain on the rest . With my anxiety managed as required i can at least have some cognitive behavioural control.

there are natural alternatives too, and some good guided meditations 

On 2/3/2019 at 12:49 PM, Floor2017 said:

You have to keep trying until you get the right cocktail medication for you.  Don’t quit on medication because there are one out there that is just right for you

Thank you, I need to remember that there are different types out there and that I can try different ones. 

This week things to be going a little better and I am trying to enjoy this, even though I have a 'an eye of the storm' feeling 

• 2 weeks later...

I am seeing a new psychologist soon, and i am looking forward to it, if thats even possible. Any tools I can get will surely be useful. For now spending 15 minutes, several times a day following one of the many guided meditations on Youtube also helps. I often just doze to sleep but it sets me up well for when I get back up to do something.

today is a lot if stress, but one thing at a time, and Ill get there.....

1 hour ago, Extremebeginner said:

I am seeing a new psychologist soon, and i am looking forward to it, if thats even possible. Any tools I can get will surely be useful. For now spending 15 minutes, several times a day following one of the many guided meditations on Youtube also helps. I often just doze to sleep but it sets me up well for when I get back up to do something.

today is a lot if stress, but one thing at a time, and Ill get there.....

I’m so proud of you for having the zeal and fortitude to be willing to keep on trying to find the best life possible for you.

The ideas and inspirations you all post on these boards are so beautiful. When you all are doing the best you can while at the same reaching out to help others, it really touches my heart. I am so grateful this resource exists to help bring us up from the valleys of darkness. Even as my heart is breaking, I come here and see such grace and beauty in this place. This is how the whole world should be. With all sincerity, thank you all for having the bravery to share your stories and for supporting and uplifting each other. 🕊🌈

47 minutes ago, Tearz said:

The ideas and inspirations you all post on these boards are so beautiful. When you all are doing the best you can while at the same reaching out to help others, it really touches my heart. I am so grateful this resource exists to help bring us up from the valleys of darkness. Even as my heart is breaking, I come here and see such grace and beauty in this place. This is how the whole world should be. With all sincerity, thank you all for having the bravery to share your stories and for supporting and uplifting each other. 🕊🌈

Amen 

6 hours ago, Extremebeginner said:

Thank you Tearz and Floor, if only all the world were kind and just understanding of those of us who do struggle to enjoy life. They cannot help us get through this but they sure can make it easier for us to help ourselves if we live in a truly caring world

Well said my friend 

• 1 month later...