Would Being Rich Make Depression Better Or Worse?

ArthurP

On 1/31/2019 at 7:31 PM, Floor2017 said:

I think being poor with depression probably is worse than being rich with depression because if you have money you can at least try to get the help you need with your money.  However, if you are poor you might not be able to get the help you need or be able to buy the best medication to treat your depression and anxiety.  I’m just saying it does make a difference.

The issue is people who have depression often lack the will to get help, regardless of financial abilities. This is why we have wealthy people **** themselves. Look at people such as Luke Wilson or Kurt Cobain just to name a few. They had the money to afford getting help, yet all that money did nothing for them.

I'm not suggesting there's not Some truth to your statement, but to suggest that having money means you will be able to get better isn't a default fact. It's just a greater possibility.

4 minutes ago, Haunted Rain said:

The issue is people who have depression often lack the will to get help, regardless of financial abilities. This is why we have wealthy people **** themselves. Look at people such as Luke Wilson or Kurt Cobain just to name a few. They had the money to afford getting help, yet all that money did nothing for them.

I'm not suggesting there's not Some truth to your statement, but to suggest that having money means you will be able to get better isn't a default fact. It's just a greater possibility.

I do respect your reply because I find myself in that same situation because so many of us who are well respected in our communities are suffering from depression and are afraid to reach out for help or are to asham to seek professional help from other sufferers.  That’s one of the main reasons I come to this DF site because I don’t want to be judged by others.

I go to a Nurse Practioner for my treatment of depression and anxiety.  I been knowing her for about twenty five years and on last week I just felt a little different when she asked me do I feel like hurting myself or anyone else.  I know she was just doing her job by asking me routine questions but for some reason I just felt different when she asked me and it kind of made me feel different inside when she asked me Friday for my monthly check in from changing my medication to Lexapro 10 mg.

8 hours ago, samadhiSheol said:

Don't know about better or worse but it would make things a lot easier. Wouldn't have to worry about dead end jobs with low pay or what the ff I will do with the pittance one gets once one has retired. Also treatment or more to the point paying for adequate help wouldn't be a problem either.

Agreed. My current existence is fraught with constant money worries. This month is going to suck extra badly in fact.

If I won the lottery the only thing I would feel is fear.  I would be more manic than ever and go on a run of some kind with something addictive most likely everything addictive at once and I wouldn't make it a week.  I would probably remember the first couple of hours and then goodbye.

All I want is enough to life comfortably in an RV with my cats. Doesn't have to be a big fancy RV by any means. Find some remote location in the mountains to park it and just live. Only time I'd interact with people is when I need to buy food, gas or other staples.

It ain't a very ambitious dream...most people would say I have my sights set low. But you know what? Even this meager dream is beyond my grasp.

5 hours ago, Zagor said:

It is better to cry in a Mercedes than on a bicycle.

LMFAO! I just got a used one as a guilt gift and it is waaaay better to cry in the benz than on a bicycle or even in my work truck.

However, money isn't everything, yes it will help some issues in life, but depression is depression, it will eat you up no matter your net worth, but what do I know, I've never been financially rich.

On 2/4/2019 at 3:36 PM, Floor2017 said:

I do respect your reply because I find myself in that same situation because so many of us who are well respected in our communities are suffering from depression and are afraid to reach out for help or are to asham to seek professional help from other sufferers.  That’s one of the main reasons I come to this DF site because I don’t want to be judged by others.

I go to a Nurse Practioner for my treatment of depression and anxiety.  I been knowing her for about twenty five years and on last week I just felt a little different when she asked me do I feel like hurting myself or anyone else.  I know she was just doing her job by asking me routine questions but for some reason I just felt different when she asked me and it kind of made me feel different inside when she asked me Friday for my monthly check in from changing my medication to Lexapro 10 mg.

When i was young i had some trouble expressing my issues with depression, but now i don't hesitate. I try not to dwell on the subject unless the person asks questions. I share that i deal with it and move on. That way it's out there, they know it, but i don't come across as if i'm seeking attention or pity or any such thing. Nor are they left feeling awkward if it's a subject they are uncomfortable with.

Then again if you have a job that is more of a career i can see where such things may not be as easily mentioned.

But if you're well respected in your community it could also be viewed as an opportunity to educate. Of course you'd have to weigh any potential risks, but it could be a great platform.

Being rich right now would help ease some of the stress and frustrations that have me in a depression to begin with.  In that sense, I would say it would make things better, for me.  It wouldn't even have to be winning a $250 million dollar jackpot, but something more subtle like earning $10,000 a week every week consistently.  That would definitely make things easier... I'd be better able to help my family, put money away to better secure my children's future, provide better for my wife and being able to get the house she's hoped for, being able to help my parents with their struggles, and maybe even getting some major dental work that, though scares me beyond death, may be possible knowing I'd be able to afford it and have the work done.  Sadly, having the funds right now is only but a dream that I can imagine what I'd do with IF I had it... the reality wakes me back up into this despair that I continue to feel.  😞😌

On 2/4/2019 at 9:40 PM, Extremebeginner said:

I dont play the lottery in case I could win. It would destroy me!

OK, if you happen to win, send me the rewards. I wouldn't want you to be destroyed. 🙂

On 2/5/2019 at 6:44 AM, JD4010 said:

Find some remote location in the mountains to park it and just live. Only time I'd interact with people is when I need to buy food, gas or other staples.

It ain't a very ambitious dream...most people would say I have my sights set low. But you know what? Even this meager dream is beyond my grasp.

Same situation... it used to be something of a dream, but it's more like pragmatism nowadays, as I don't really have a place elsewhere (literally and figuratively). I was thinking of pooling resources with someone, but don't know anyone interested. Also, there's something to be said for solitude.

From personal experience, no I found that i kept wanting something new to give me instant gratification.  New car every two years, going on holidays whenever i wanted. So for me it made my depression worse.

It would certainly help me my therapist agreed with me that almost 90% of my problems would go away, I was driving my car on empty with not a dollar in my account or a piece of food in my fridge yesterday I have to go over my parents house just to get food. I despise going there and would rather be on the street then live with them I have a degree that hasn't helped me get a job yet 20,000 debt in loans a couple thousand in credit card debt, medical bills from when I was sent to outpatient when I said I was suicidal I have been single most of my life have no friends anymore because I have barely have money to leave my house I eat pasta for 0.79$ most of the week I spend more money on my cat to eat then myself. I pretty much just apply for jobs play ps4 games I got with gift cards for my birthday, and watch tv in my condo. I had a dream I found 10 dollars in my pants pocket I woke up so happy then disappointed when I came to the realization it was a dream. I would be ecstatic if I found another job it would be like winning the lottery.

Having no money definitely presents more challenges for us with anxiety and depression. We eat like crap, we feel like crap, we look like crap. When you gotta choose haircut or food, food is going to win.  I feel for you bro. I hope your luck is going to change so you can eat better and live better.

If I was rich I would have a lot of "friends".  There would be a line of people at my door as far as the eye could see wanting money for something.  Most of the people would just make up stories because they know I'm mentally ill and have no memory left.  Remember me from here or there?  No of course not I don't remember what I did today.  It would be the same thing if I ever got amnesia.  Everyone would show up telling lies about all the money I owed them and promised to pay them!

On 2/4/2019 at 7:35 PM, Rattler6 said:

Money can fix some problems and make somethings easier.

By itself it cannot make you happy.  It makes people want to use you for your income, see divorced men.

I had the most profitable year of my life last year.  I was also extremely depressed during most of it.  I was ready to **** myself at work and still am.  I refrain from doing so as to not upset my coworkers or the other guys and gals on site.

I have usually been pretty good at staying ontop of my finances.  But I need more in my life.

Agreed.

I'd still choose affluence over barely scraping through any day. But no amount of money in the world is going to get rid of the void within.

Still, having enough money can take care of a lot of the day to day crap that contributes to disillusion, disappointment and feelings of pointlessness.

Money doesn't take the pain away, it just pays the bills. With so many examples of wealthy people suffering from depression or another mental illness (and/or addiction), maybe the question of better or worse doesn't make much sense. 

Being rich means it would make you financially stable requiring that   you control your spending.

I agree with what was said above, people will come for you for your money.

other than that I believe like many people it will be all up to the person to find happiness. currently in the  news, Justin Bieber, who is rich and recently married, is depressed.

15 minutes ago, Stand_alone said:

Being rich means it would make you financially stable requiring that   you control your spending.

I agree with what was said above, people will come for you for your money.

other than that I believe like many people it will be all up to the person to find happiness. currently in the  news, Justin Bieber, who is rich and recently married, is depressed.

Yes.  It is paramount to control your spending.  Debt is not fun.  I am four years ahead on a five year vehicle loan.