Surprising facts . . .

"Whiptail lizards" are an all female species [there are no male members of the species].  They reproduce asexually and scientists wonder how this prevents genetic mutations which can sometimes be beneficial to the survival of the species."

100% of the time, when I reach into my tool box, looking for either a philips head, or flat head screw driver, and can only see the handles, I will first pick up the type I don't need.I have tried choosing, then switching, same effect.  It never fails, ever.

Bulga

Baths were not such a deal in Europe until the late 18th century.  A story I heard, and story just verified online, has it that Queen Isabella I of Spain bathed but twice in her life, once at her birth and once when she married.  Which was probably once more than regular folks. 

The Mantis Shrimp is renown for having four times the amount of photoreceptors in their eyeballs as human beings. They can see light at extreme ends of the spectrum that we cannot, like ultraviolet and far-red. Thats pretty cool.

However, a recent study showed that compared to us, Mantis Shrimp kinda suck at descriminating colors near one another in the visible spectrum. For instance, most humans can see a distinct difference between the colors blue and teal while the Mantis struggles to perceive that distinction. 

Juneau, the capital of Alaska, has no roads that connect it with any other city, anywhere. There are roads in Juneau but all of them end at the water or ice. Food, material items and people must come by plane or boat. 

On 1/30/2019 at 12:21 PM, Epictetus said:

Marie Curies' notebooks are still radioactive.  Scholars wishing to read them must sign a health waiver before being granted access to them.   Marie Curie discovered radium.    

So it is best to use a remote camera to read them.

From a twenty-year old article in the New Yorker, on soul singer Sam Cooke:

“Sam Cooke's 'A Change Is Gonna Come' was inspired directly by another sixties anthem, Bob Dylan’s 'Blowin’ in the Wind.'  When he first heard that song, Peter Guralnick writes in 2005’s “Dream Boogie: The Triumph of Sam Cooke,” he “was so carried away with the message, and the fact that a white boy had written it, that . . . he was almost ashamed not to have written something like that himself.”

Other soul singers of the 60s had been trying to emulate whoever was on top.  When Sam arrived, they just quit trying to emulate.  The sweetest voice of any soul singer, his sung lyrics disappear and reappear with phrasing deft as a magician's.

Bulgakov

Edited by Bulgakov

Just now, Epictetus said:

A single could can weigh more than a million pounds.  

Certainly, after a split from a partner, or a divorce, many distraught singles turn to snacking, or bigger burgers, for comfort.  Very rare for one to break a million pounds though, maybe not. 

Bulgakov

On some street corners of my city there are blue colored police call boxes and red fire alarm boxes made of metal that date back to the late 1800s. Most remain functional. When the alarm is pulled on a fire box it sends a telegraph message to the nearest fire house. 

Antiquated yet still valued as a redundant emergency communications system that proved useful when cell towers and utility poles were toppled by earthquakes.

Woke up with the Beach Boy's "Little Deuce Coupe" playing in my head.  In my lyric search, I came across this, which is something I've kind of heard before, but forgotten:

"The Model T was an automobile built by the Ford Motor Company from 1908 until 1927. ... Assembly-line production allowed the price of the touring car version to be lowered from $850 in 1908 to less than $300 in 1925."

I can't remember when the price of a major purchase item, like a car, went down by over 60%.  No wonder they call them the "good old days."

Bulgakov

Edited by Bulgakov
editing never ends

Pablo Picasso didn't steal the Mona Lisa but a search of his flat revealed two statues he did steal from The Louvre. He plead ignorance about who the statues belonged to but was done in by the "property of Louve" labels on the bottom of each. 

Edited by Atra
Double post