My psychiatrist insists anything she puts me on will cause weight gain besides trazodone (I take 200mg). I haven’t had good sleep in 3 weeks.

I did well with Saphris but there’s no generic and the copay is $400.

Edited by SouthernSolitary

are you having lack of sleep because of the pills ? 

depending on how long you have been on those pills maybe you should try giving different ones a try. idk why your doctor would say any other pills would make you gain weight without trying. there are usually other options. 

I have many issues with insomnia. Many people on here actually do as well. it seems to be one of the many qualities of depression . 

There a lot of herbs that can help with insomnia and I know a few people that have taken them constanly that say they do help but you also have to see if they dont interact badly with your current medication. 

Valeria is something that helps a lot of people with insomnia 

My doctor recommended meletonin occasionally for sleep. I was exactally where you are about a week ago - thank god the bout past for me. Valerian is also good. Good luck - I wish you good sleep and tranquil dreams ☺

20 minutes ago, CrazyEddie said:

I have the problem where I get to sleep quickly, but wake up far too early 

They staying asleep problem. It's good to know the Zaleplon helps but I would be reluctant to rely on that, there's concern about frequent use. 

29 minutes ago, CrazyEddie said:

I have the problem where I get to sleep quickly, but wake up far too early (like 2 or 3 o'clock) I'm taking Zaleplon when I wake up and it helps a bit.

I sometimes have that Issues as well. I cant go to sleep too early or else I wont be able to stay asleep 

17 hours ago, June322 said:

are you having lack of sleep because of the pills ? 

depending on how long you have been on those pills maybe you should try giving different ones a try. idk why your doctor would say any other pills would make you gain weight without trying. there are usually other options. 

I have many issues with insomnia. Many people on here actually do as well. it seems to be one of the many qualities of depression . 

There a lot of herbs that can help with insomnia and I know a few people that have taken them constanly that say they do help but you also have to see if they dont interact badly with your current medication. 

Valeria is something that helps a lot of people with insomnia 

No, I think the stimulation from my antidepressant is the reason for my lack of sleep. Trazodone is useless and saphris is great but costs too much

thanks for the answers so far 

On 1/28/2019 at 2:43 PM, SouthernSolitary said:

No, I think the stimulation from my antidepressant is the reason for my lack of sleep. Trazodone is useless and saphris is great but costs too much

I have the same problem. If I take the antidepressant all in the morning, I wake up too early with really bad depressive thinking. If I spread out the doses, I wake up a lot more at night from the stimulation, although I'm not so plagued with bad thoughts. I tried trazodone 25 mg one night and it put me out for six hours, which was an improvement. The next night, I upped it to 37 mg (3/4 tablet) and it hardly worked at all. So I don't know what's going on.

I take Gabapentin and sometime melatonin. I usually sleep 6 hours straight without wake ups since being on Gabapentin. I also get lots of deep sleep. But it unfortunately is a drug that the body becomes dependent on and requires a slow taper to cone off of. Any of the drugs that work on GABA receptors do. 

Posted (edited)

Minuscule doses of mirtazipine. Like 3,5 mg. Works for me. In my case, staying asleep is the main issue. If insomnia hits bad though, I won’t fall to sleep either..but either way, mirtazipine is the only thing that helps. Melatonin did absolutely nothing for me, neither do the usual suspects like unwinding before going to bed, limiting screen time etc.

I have always been crap at sleeping , since I was 11 or so. Insomnia was only treated after burn out in my early 40’s. Until then I sincerely thought I could survive on 3 or 4 hours a night or less. I couldn’t and if someone says they can  I’d take their claim with a pinch of salt.

Mirt is the only medication I take regularly. I am finished with antidepressants, mood stabilizers and whatnot. I wouldn’t even bother with the mirt if I didn’t have to work at certain hours(or at all. Haha).

Edited by samadhiSheol

Tried so many medicines nothing seemed to work. It's about 3 years now that I have been suffering from anxiety and sleeping disorder. Tried all most all therapies but sleep just doesnt come to me. I just dont know what to do. My sister has been pushing me to get a dog. I dont know i searched on the internet, it does say that they do help. But i am just confused. Should i consider getting a dog? Can anyone share their experience?

26 minutes ago, Andrea Harris said:

Tried so many medicines nothing seemed to work. It's about 3 years now that I have been suffering from anxiety and sleeping disorder. Tried all most all therapies but sleep just doesnt come to me. I just dont know what to do. My sister has been pushing me to get a dog. I dont know i searched on the internet, it does say that they do help. But i am just confused. Should i consider getting a dog? Can anyone share their experience?

I guess I would only get a dog if you really like dogs. They can be great cuddles and companions, but can also be a lot if work depending on the dog. I have one dog (rescue) that has a lot of energy and anxiety so sometimes she is a handful, but when it come time to get in bed she is so sweet, calm and cuddles up against us. 

What helps me is using the Insight Timer app. It’s a meditation app. I have a bunch of meditation downloaded on there as i turn my phone on airplane mode at night, and i have soft headband earphones and listen to some meditations. They almost always put me to sleep. I struggled with severe insomnia the past year and that has been the one consistent thing that has made a difference. But now i can’t usually fall asleep without it lol. 

Posted (edited)
On 5/7/2019 at 5:14 PM, Chickenmama said:

Totally relatable. Yes tried meditation as well. It does help. True but my anxiety always overpowered. It was really very difficult sleeping. Andrea i totally understand what you might be going through. I just want you to know that it is tough but you can get through it. Dog does help. Do you know about emotional support dogs? I have been reading about it a lot and there are a lot of people who have benefitted from the love and care they give. You should totally go for it. I myself am planning to get my dog an esa letter. Lets see. Obviously try doing meditation as well but then again having a comforter with you will do wonders. Believe me. Good luck and good health.

Edited by Regina Quirion

Yeah. chickenmama will try meditation as well. Thank you for the suggestion. Honestly have been trying to do that for quite long time it just gets difficult. But yes it is good so yeah. Dogs yes i am thinking to give them a try as well. Have been reading about it myself. I like dogs so it would be win win. I have contacted a shelter will visit them this week. Any breed suggestions?

9 hours ago, Andrea Harris said:

Yeah. chickenmama will try meditation as well. Thank you for the suggestion. Honestly have been trying to do that for quite long time it just gets difficult. But yes it is good so yeah. Dogs yes i am thinking to give them a try as well. Have been reading about it myself. I like dogs so it would be win win. I have contacted a shelter will visit them this week. Any breed suggestions?

I would go with a lower energy dog that likes to snuggle. The shelter should be able to help you. 

Another thing I stick to religiously is Epsom salt baths before bed. I do this almost every night it every other night and it helps significantly. I struggled for months with barely any sleep. Tried lots of meds and not much worked well for be other then gabapentin. Which i don’t recommend to anyone now as it’s hard to get off of and requires a really slow taper for most people. If I’d had know that I’d never would have tried it. But then again i was also miserable and very desperate. 

On 5/7/2019 at 5:14 PM, Chickenmama said:

Thank you. Yeah got a terrier. Havent tried those bath salts. Will get them too. Thank you for the help.