What do you miss from your childhood?

MaepleSyrup

Does anyone remember these books they used to have in the 90s? They were like coloring books only there was dry paint on the pages and they came with a paintbrush. You would dip the paintbrush in water, and then over the paint, to fill in the pictures in the book. What the heck were those called? I'd love to see if they still exist, as a memory of my Alvin & the Chipmunks one popped into my head yesterday.

Edited by evalynn

3 minutes ago, evalynn said:

Does anyone remember these books they used to have in the 90s? They were like coloring books only there was dry paint on the pages and they came with a paintbrush. You would dip the paintbrush in water, and then over the paint, to fill in the pictures in the book. What the heck were those called? I'd love to see if they still exist, as a memory of my Alvin & the Chipmunks one popped into my head yesterday.

I remember those

3 hours ago, MaepleSyrup said:

I miss looking forward to and eating my favorite cereals in the morning. I remember it was always something I looked forward to before going to bed

Who says you have to stop eating your favorite cereals?  I sure didn't.  I still watch cartoons too.

It was a quiet lovely small Southern city, white magnolia trees, wonderful corner markets, could sleep with your backdoor open.  At night these amazing fireflies lit up our neighborhood, and huge butterflies in the morning greeted us-- everything shut down at 6 pm and we would actually lay in the middle of the street and talk about our dreams.  We could dream back then.  We were safe.  Music had substance, and what you watched was clean and family oriented.  There was a pear tree up the street and a cherry tree two houses away.  Yep, I believed in magic (okay I still believe in magic)..

2 hours ago, sober4life said:

Who says you have to stop eating your favorite cereals?  I sure didn't.  I still watch cartoons too.

I went on a bad diet for a while- I really avoided the heck out of sugar and sweet stuff. As a result, I can't eat too many sweet cereals or candies without feeling sick to my stomach

I remember I ate cereal one morning and my stomach hurt so bad, I had to stay in bed for almost a week. Was not a very fun time XD I don't know what it did, but it k.i.l.l.s my stomach every time I eat cereal now. So I'm stuck with bagels

Yes I love peeps!  I made the mistake of telling my uncle I love them and he gives me a whole package of them every time I see him.  Of course I can't say no.  My mind won't allow that.  The second I'm away from people I will eat the whole package as quick as I would take a breath.

1 hour ago, sober4life said:

Yes I love peeps!  I made the mistake of telling my uncle I love them and he gives me a whole package of them every time I see him.  Of course I can't say no.  My mind won't allow that.  The second I'm away from people I will eat the whole package as quick as I would take a breath.

That's a very cute story XD I was the same way when I was younger. I'd take peeps any day- my mom always gave me a pack when I was sick. Good old days, huh?

Even though I know it'd take forever for me to eat them, I debate whether or not I should buy a pack after all these years

4 hours ago, sober4life said:

That’s funny 😄 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

My local libraries being quiet places of enforced silence is something I remember and miss.

These days, because all the local councils thought it would be progressive to turn all the libraries into all singing all dancing 'community hubs' designed to cater to a broad range of 'needs', now they're full of noisy idiots who think I want to hear their mundane chatter.

1 hour ago, Mark250 said:

My local libraries being quiet places of enforced silence is something I remember and miss.

These days, because all the local councils thought it would be progressive to turn all the libraries into all singing all dancing 'community hubs' designed to cater to a broad range of 'needs', now they're full of noisy idiots who think I want to hear their mundane chatter.

Agreed. Here in the US, libraries have become free childcare facilities. I'm going to start reading in gymnasiums because they are now quieter than the libraries.

I was randomly thinking of all the snacks my dad used to buy, most of which I haven't seen in years. Crackerjack (and he'd give me the  lame "toy"), thee snack cakes that were covered in coconut flakes, these tan cookies with grooves that also tasted like coconut, almond-flavored candies, this chocolate sauce you put on bananas that got hard, and nasty pork rinds.