Sign in to follow this  
rayar812

Harm OCD

New poster. My name is Ray. My life has officially spun out of control and this is the first place I found to vent since everything came crashing down now a week ago. 

Please, let me know if there are any guidelines I need to abide to, this is the first time I am doing anything in a week other than lying in bed and eating bologna sandwiches directly out of the fridge. 

I was a 2nd year medical student at a large university in Illinois. To make a long story short, I have, since starting medical school, been admitted to the hospital three times for losing my mind on each occasion all due to OCD. After the last hospitalization, I am throwing in the towel and starting my life over. If I do not handle my OCD now, I am just winding myself up for an imminent implosion and possible explosion. 

I bought a few books and I am going to be diligent in taking my medication as I have never before mostly out of denial that I really had a mental illness. 

Sorry if this post was too brief. Like I said, this is the first positive step I have taken in a week since I quit school. 

Hi Rayara812,

I want to welcome you to the Forums.  It is nice to meet you.

Hopefully you will finds these Forums to be a friendly and welcoming place.  I am so sorry that you are afflicted with OCD.  Although I only have a mild form of OCD, my father had it really bad.  There are many people here who suffer from OCD and I hope they will see your post and respond to it.   I was hospitalized once for serious depression.  Being hospitalized can be quite an experience.

I am looking forward to reading your future posts.  My heart goes out to you for all the suffering you have endured ! ! !      - epictetus

Hello Epictetus,

Thank you for the warm welcome. I am definitely at the lowest I have ever been in my life and I have barely any idea how to progress. It means a lot to hear your message! 

Ray

My OCD used to be terrible!  Now I honestly barely have it at this point.  Taking care of your anxiety is what helps OCD.  I started exercising.  That worked the best for me.  Walking, running anything to lower your blood pressure.  I also started fighting my OCD refusing to do the rituals anymore.  I don't have to do this and doing these things doesn't actually help in the first place.  If I do what my mind says I have to do it doesn't end there because the list is endless.  Well now that you've done this you have to do that so it does lead to madness for sure because it can go on endlessly.

Welcome aboard!! I know how hard OCD can be--I have OCD and it runs in my family...is great you took this step and came here to talk about things...8-]] 

I can completely relate to this. I was doing really well in the art school of my dreams and then OCD hit me like a truck and has landed me in hospitals and phsyc wards more times than I would like to acknowledge. You are so brave for facing this head on. It has been a year for me and I am still struggling with confronting my issues. Welcome and you are doing great!