Sign in to follow this  
Sophieg57

Acne

I'm 61 years old and I'm dealing with acne. Its really frustrating to see this on my face and I'm so bad about pinching them . Please someone help me in what I'm to do.

Edited by Sophieg57
Wrong word

Having to deal with acne as an adult is a terrible thing. I'm close to 40 and still break out like a teenager, it is incredibly embarrassing. My skin is as oily and shiny as it was when I was 14... What I hate the most about it is the stigma, people automatically make assumptions like "he probably never washes his face" or "he must be eating too much chocolate" etc. None of it is true and I've tried just about every diet and many over-the-counter system like Proactive and expensive masks, tonics and washes. Nothing helps.

Have you always had adult acne or is it related to your medication? Your post doesn't say but I see that you posted it in the Cymbalta subforum. If it's because of your medication I would ask your doctor about trying a different SNRI to see if it helps. 

If that doesn't help you could try seeing a dermatologist, perhaps its due to a hormonal imbalance or if you're lucky a simple topical prescription lotion will help. They can also prescribe stronger medicines like antibiotics or Accutane but they're not without risk and if you've been dealing with mental health issues you should definitely stay away from the latter since it has been linked to depression and even suicide. 

Edited by lonelyforeigner

check you levels of Vitamin B12 and Zinc. Insufficient amounts of Zinc and increased levels of Vit B12 lead to acne in adults (if it's not hormonal)