Sign in to follow this  
BobM

Just started Prozac and scared!

Well I am so releaved to say that the Trazodone 50mg worked!!! I slept better than I have in 2 weeks!

Woke up feeling really good. No anxiety or depression! 

The strange thing is, I actually felt weird because of feeling good. I can’t explain it but it was almost as though it was scary or something like that. I can’t explain it.

Thank you everyone!!!

Well guys, the Trazodone only worked that one night. My sleep has been horrible!

Tuesday will be 3 weeks on Prozac 10mg

Does anyone have any experience with Prozac and sleep eventually getting better?

Im thinking I have to stop taking it. That scares me as well because I don’t want to have Withdrawal!!!

Would I just take 5mg for a week and then take it every other day for a week and then stop?

I know my doctor is just going to say stop taking it, no need to taper. 

Thank you so much!!!!

10 hours ago, BobM said:

Well guys, the Trazodone only worked that one night. My sleep has been horrible!

Tuesday will be 3 weeks on Prozac 10mg

Does anyone have any experience with Prozac and sleep eventually getting better?

Im thinking I have to stop taking it. That scares me as well because I don’t want to have Withdrawal!!!

Would I just take 5mg for a week and then take it every other day for a week and then stop?

I know my doctor is just going to say stop taking it, no need to taper. 

Thank you so much!!!!

Have you tried maybe taking it at a different time of day? A lot of times when people are going through the initial start ups and having trouble with sleeping something such as switching it to morning or before bed could help. I take mine before I go to sleep at night and it seems to help me quite a bit. Also, if the trazadone isn't helping very much maybe see if you can get something different for now. I would call the doctor and tell him what your experiencing and see what he suggests. You did say that you had a really good day so that is hopeful that the prozac could be just starting to work. 

Hope you find relief soon Bob! 

12 hours ago, Grounded said:

Have you tried maybe taking it at a different time of day? A lot of times when people are going through the initial start ups and having trouble with sleeping something such as switching it to morning or before bed could help. I take mine before I go to sleep at night and it seems to help me quite a bit. Also, if the trazadone isn't helping very much maybe see if you can get something different for now. I would call the doctor and tell him what your experiencing and see what he suggests. You did say that you had a really good day so that is hopeful that the prozac could be just starting to work. 

Hope you find relief soon Bob! 

Hi Grounded. I take it in the morning. It doesn’t seem to make me sleepy so not sure if I took it at night it would help or make it worse.

My doctor gave me the Hydroxyzine and Trazodone for sleep and Anxiety. I can’t take Benzo’s or anything like that so not sure there is anything else for sleep.

My sleep is off and on all night. 

Now I’m worrying that taking the Hydroxyzine is going to cause me trouble down the road when I stop taking it. I heard it works on the same receptors as the Prozac and in the same way. 

Also so worried if I have to stop taking the Prozac that I will go through horrible withdrawal!!!! These meds scare the crap out of me!!!!!!!!! I would rather be on the Frontlines in a war then this!!!

My Wife seems to think I’m am having improvement so I’m going to try and stick it out a little longer. 

God this is hard!!!!!

Thank you so much for your support!!!! It MEANS SO MUCH!!!!!! IT TRULY DOES!!!!!!

I hope you are doing good!!!!!

Hey Grounded, finally sleeping this last week! 5 weeks on 10mg Prozac, now having tingling in my face and eye feels irritated. Been this way for 3 days. Have you experienced this? 

Posted (edited)
On 15 January 2019 at 4:26 PM, BobM said:

Hello,

Very scared that I will never get better.

I started Prozac for Anxiety and Depression one week ago today. I am currently on 10mg. My Anxiety got worse in the beginning and finally seems to be settling down but the depression seems to be worse. I don’t have any desire to do anything I like. Before I started the Prozac I at least had times that I wanted to do things. 

All I do is try and get through the day because around 5pm things seem to level out and I don’t feel as bad. My sleep has been disrupted as well.

my doctor is not very supportive. I told him that the anxiety was getting worse when I first started taking the Prozac and he just told me then stop taking it and try something else. I don’t want to keep jumping around with meds if this one might work.

Again just so scared I will be this way forever! Wondering if I should keep taking the meds and then increase to 20mg soon.

I am just lost!!!

Thank You!!!

Hey, I'm on prozac to. I remember feeling exactly like you when I was on the 10 mg. More anxious and depressed. I was depressed that I needed medication and couldn't help myself, I was also depressed that I didn't feel any immediate differences after taking the medication. After 10mg I went up to 20, and for 3 weeks I was on 20 mg with absolutely no change to my mood. When i went to see the psychiatrist again he told me that 20mg is just a starter dose for most people, to feel the full effect of fluox you need to go up to 40mg. After just two weeks on 40mg my life changed completely, i just felt like myself again and everything was effortless  again - working, getting dressed, bushing my teeth (just the little things), I wanted to go out again for the first time in months. Since then I've never gone back to the dark place I was in, although I still have some down days, it's nothing compared to what it was like before. 

I don't know if your doctor has told you the same thing about the dose, it might be the case with you that you need 40 to feel the effect. 60mg is the maximum dose so if 40 isn't enough you can always go up even higher. 

But there is nothing to be scared of. I didn't want to become addicted to the medication and so was reluctant to take it. But it just makes you feel like your normal self again. You only come off the medication once you've dealt with the thing that caused your depression in the first place. By then you shouldn't need the drugs anymore to be yourself :)

also - has he doctor told you that it's normal to experience increased anxiety when you start prozac. It's your body trying to adjust to the drugs. 

My psychiatrist prescribed me some diazepam to take with the prozac to lessen the anxiety. 

Don't give up on the prozac until you've tried the right dose - 40mg !

Edited by Soarsie18

29 minutes ago, Soarsie18 said:

Hey, I'm on prozac to. I remember feeling exactly like you when I was on the 10 mg. More anxious and depressed. I was depressed that I needed medication and couldn't help myself, I was also depressed that I didn't feel any immediate differences after taking the medication. After 10mg I went up to 20, and for 3 weeks I was on 20 mg with absolutely no change to my mood. When i went to see the psychiatrist again he told me that 20mg is just a starter dose for most people, to feel the full effect of fluox you need to go up to 40mg. After just two weeks on 40mg my life changed completely, i just felt like myself again and everything was effortless  again - working, getting dressed, bushing my teeth (just the little things), I wanted to go out again for the first time in months. Since then I've never gone back to the dark place I was in, although I still have some down days, it's nothing compared to what it was like before. 

I don't know if your doctor has told you the same thing about the dose, it might be the case with you that you need 40 to feel the effect. 60mg is the maximum dose so if 40 isn't enough you can always go up even higher. 

But there is nothing to be scared of. I didn't want to become addicted to the medication and so was reluctant to take it. But it just makes you feel like your normal self again. You only come off the medication once you've dealt with the thing that caused your depression in the first place. By then you shouldn't need the drugs anymore to be yourself :)

also - has he doctor told you that it's normal to experience increased anxiety when you start prozac. It's your body trying to adjust to the drugs. 

My psychiatrist prescribed me some diazepam to take with the prozac to lessen the anxiety. 

Don't give up on the prozac until you've tried the right dose - 40mg !

Soarsie,

Thank You very much for replying to me!!!

I actually just finished tapering off of Prozac. I was getting bad tingling in my face and most of my body. The doctor thought it might be a side effect so I am now on Celexa. Have been doing pretty good. 

Thank you again so much for taking the time to respond to me!!! People like you make this world a nice place to live!

God Bless!!!

2 minutes ago, BobM said:

Soarsie,

Thank You very much for replying to me!!!

I actually just finished tapering off of Prozac. I was getting bad tingling in my face and most of my body. The doctor thought it might be a side effect so I am now on Celexa. Have been doing pretty good. 

Thank you again so much for taking the time to respond to me!!! People like you make this world a nice place to live!

God Bless!!!

You've made my day !

God bless you too.

I hope Celexa is the one X