Sign in to follow this  
BobM

Just started Prozac and scared!

Hello,

Very scared that I will never get better.

I started Prozac for Anxiety and Depression one week ago today. I am currently on 10mg. My Anxiety got worse in the beginning and finally seems to be settling down but the depression seems to be worse. I don’t have any desire to do anything I like. Before I started the Prozac I at least had times that I wanted to do things. 

All I do is try and get through the day because around 5pm things seem to level out and I don’t feel as bad. My sleep has been disrupted as well.

my doctor is not very supportive. I told him that the anxiety was getting worse when I first started taking the Prozac and he just told me then stop taking it and try something else. I don’t want to keep jumping around with meds if this one might work.

Again just so scared I will be this way forever! Wondering if I should keep taking the meds and then increase to 20mg soon.

I am just lost!!!

Thank You!!!

1 minute ago, BobM said:

Hello,

Very scared that I will never get better.

I started Prozac for Anxiety and Depression one week ago today. I am currently on 10mg. My Anxiety got worse in the beginning and finally seems to be settling down but the depression seems to be worse. I don’t have any desire to do anything I like. Before I started the Prozac I at least had times that I wanted to do things. 

All I do is try and get through the day because around 5pm things seem to level out and I don’t feel as bad. My sleep has been disrupted as well.

my doctor is not very supportive. I told him that the anxiety was getting worse when I first started taking the Prozac and he just told me then stop taking it and try something else. I don’t want to keep jumping around with meds if this one might work.

Again just so scared I will be this way forever! Wondering if I should keep taking the meds and then increase to 20mg soon.

I am just lost!!!

Thank You!!!

Hang in there my friend  try to give it about four to six weeks to see how

your body is react.  Also you might have to add something with it like a herb

or something to help balance you out.  I did I added a Ashwagandha  but ask your

doctor before adding your supplement.  

Man - that sound tough. 

The reality is that every person reacts differently to these kinds of drugs. That is why there are so many of them. Give it a little bit longer and if it is not getting better - try a different drug.

Thank you so much Floor2017! Just so worried Because the depression seems to be longer through the day. Worst in the morning! 

Do you think that at 10mg I should see a little bit of improvement or will that not happen until I’m on 20mg and then will have to wait 4 to 6 weeks more?

Please any and all positive comments welcome from all.

I REALLY NEED THE SUPPORT!!!!

You're going through the normal start ups of antidepressants it's very typical for this to happen when starting and adjusting to it. It takes awhile before it starts working. I'm not sure why some put the 2-4 weeks timeline on it because it may happen but that is very rare. I would say that you should start seeing some effects in 6 weeks and they may be very very small but it means it is working. When starting or taking these types of meds keep looking at long term instead of day to day waiting and expecting the changes,  and just keep reminding yourself that in a couple months you should start feeling like yourself again, and push it through. Unless you have adverse side effects, those you should let your doctor know right away, but stick with it, push through and keep telling yourself that you will feel better and time will start to pass and you will be glad you did. Also try some self help, I myself like to watch 'success stories' videos and what they did to overcome it. Just make sure you watch the good and positive ones because at this point we definitely dont need any negativity or something else to worry about. I also started a journal of each day that I took it, I write everything down before I go to sleep on how I felt that day or any side effects I had and watch over time how it changes, it seems to help me quite a bit as I can look back about a month or 2 ago and see that things are getting better, because we don't always see the signs ourselves. And also remember that we all have our 'blips' where we have a bad day or a couple bad days, don't let that discourage you it doesnt usually mean that your not getting better. Push through, let the medicine stablize then you will know where to go from there.  

Oh and by the way we all feel that way in the beginning that it will never get better, so don't fret, that is normal too. From my own personal experience I can tell you that it does, and I hope that it does for you also! 🙂

The morning depression and anxiety will most likely be the last to go but it does go! Even people without mediciations living normal day to day lives have this too. 

Edited by Grounded

Thank you so very much for your reply Grounded!!! I truly appreciate it and it helps!!!

what scares me is I don’t think I can make it 8 weeks or more feeling this depression like this! I’m not Suicidal but I wouldn’t want to live like this forever.

From now until 8 weeks will I see any improvement at all???

Just now, BobM said:

Thank you so very much for your reply Grounded!!! I truly appreciate it and it helps!!!

what scares me is I don’t think I can make it 8 weeks or more feeling this depression like this! I’m not Suicidal but I wouldn’t want to live like this forever.

From now until 8 weeks will I see any improvement at all???

I thought the same thing as you, I thought noway I can feel like this for a couple months until they start working but you do, each day passes, and you keep telling yourself that you are going to feel like yourself again and before you know it you start waking up feeling more relaxed, and looking forward to the day. Also, there will be slight improvements during that time that you have to pay attention to that will give you the hope you need. I started citalopram at a low dose 10mg and took that for 3 weeks, then increased to 15mg for 2 weeks, and now I've been on 20mg for almost 3 weeks and at the 6 week point of being on medication I noticed a change,  it's still pretty early for me too but each day since I've noticed some of the things I was worrying about or feeling are getting further away from my mind, and aren't making me feel as bad about which is a HUGE relief. I'm not sure what dose your doctor is planning for you or if your original dose might just be the one you need but stick with one dose for a few weeks at least before trying to increase it I'd say. We, most the time we make the mistake of upping the dose too soon, or switching meds because we don't think they are working to quickly. Get adjusted to that dose, then go from there. 🙂

I concur with @Grounded on the startup.  After many years, I again started Prozac (after failures with Paxil and Zoloft).  I didn't see immediate results.  But, after awhile, my T noticed a difference...before I did.

Since anxiety remains a problem, I'll be speaking to my pdoc later this month on something to help with that which doesn't interfere with the Prozac.

Hang in there!

Is sleep disruption part of this startup? I can fall asleep fine but then wake up around 2am and can’t fall back to sleep. 

Also, I was started on 20mg and the first day I took it I felt really bad Anxiety. My Doctor wasn’t getting back to me so I took the capsule and used a scale I have to cut the dose in half. The scale is accurate. Yesterday the doctor ordered me 10mg tabs. I don’t know if it’s in my head but I seem to feel worse taking them. Today is the second day on the new tab. I thinking it has to be in my head.

He also ordered me Trasodone for sleep but I’m worried about taking that. Anyone else ever use that for sleep?

Thank You!!!

Like others have already stated it can take a while to get used to a new drug. One thing I noticed when I was on meds is that sometimes it can help to take them with a major meal or at a different time of day, may need to experiment a little. 

6 minutes ago, BobM said:

He also ordered me Trasodone for sleep but I’m worried about taking that. Anyone else ever use that for sleep?

I've used it in the past, it worked but I required a high dose which led to being quite groggy in the morning unless I went to bed very early. I seem to have a high tolerance in general so my experience may not be representative of the average person. Trazadone is an older antidepressant that is often prescribed as an off-label sleep aid. 

Thank you very much Lonlyforeigner! Glad to hear about the Trazodone. He also prescribed me Hydroxyzine for the Anxiety. Holding off on that for now. 

Just now, BobM said:

He also prescribed me Hydroxyzine for the Anxiety. Holding off on that for now. 

Any particular reason? It's an antihistamine-based anxiolytic so no risk of addiction. Other than possibly making you a bit drowsy at first it shouldn't have any major side effects. 

15 minutes ago, BobM said:

He told me it would help with the Physical Anxiety Symtoms I have. Fight or flight etc...

Yeah, it'll take the edge off. I think it might be helpful, at least until your body gets adjusted to the Prozac. 

21 minutes ago, lonelyforeigner said:

Yeah, it'll take the edge off. I think it might be helpful, at least until your body gets adjusted to the Prozac. 

Thank you!!! Just having support on here has really helped me!!!

although I didn’t sleep lastnight well at all, my depression is not as bad as it was the past week. My physical anxiety is worse. I’ll take that over Depression! I’m sure the depression will show it’s ugly head again soon!

I know it’s not the meds working as it takes a while. My appetite isn’t back yet so I have to force myself to eat! I do always have an appetite at dinner time. My plumbing was normal today for the first time in a week. Nurse said if that happens along with other side effects lifting it’s a good sign that the Prozac will work. God I hope so!!!!!

Hey guys, if I don’t get any relief of depression in 6 weeks and the doctor ups my dose to 20mg from 10, am I going to have to wait 6 to 8 weeks more for any improvement?

Thank You!!!

On 1/16/2019 at 11:24 AM, BobM said:

He told me it would help with the Physical Anxiety Symtoms I have. Fight or flight etc...

As someone else stated, it may help with the anxiety while the prozac starts working. I forced myself because I didn't want to add any other mediciations but I am glad I did, it helped to relax me through some really tough periods. 

Something to consider. 

54 minutes ago, Grounded said:

As someone else stated, it may help with the anxiety while the prozac starts working. I forced myself because I didn't want to add any other mediciations but I am glad I did, it helped to relax me through some really tough periods. 

Something to consider. 

Thanks Grounded! I did take the Hydroxyzine lastnight and it helped me sleep.

what about my question on the updosing?

3 hours ago, BobM said:

Thanks Grounded! I did take the Hydroxyzine lastnight and it helped me sleep.

what about my question on the updosing?

Well I can tell you personally I started out low on my citalopram and slowly worked my way up. The doctor had told me that her target dose was 20mg so I did 3 weeks at 10mg, 2 weeks at 15mg and now Im at 3 weeks at 20mg the doctor had me do that to lessen any side effects that I may have and I think it worked because I dont remember having any real noticeable side effects from it. She did say she wants me to stay at 20mg now for 8-12 weeks to see how it does.  As far as increasing the dose and having to wait longer I am not sure, I am still waiting for relief but they say you should not watch in weeks towards feeling better but in months because it does take awhile to really let the meds level off, so that is what I've been doing. I have had a few ups and downs so far so I'm going to guess that it is starting to do something but as far as relief to where I would like it to be I've not hit that just yet, and I'm just trying to get by day to day for now trying to keep my anxiety down. I'm really unsure where doctors or the medicine companies get that it might take 4 weeks to become fully efffective, I mean, for some it may have helped that quickly but that would have to be not too common, and I think it leads people to thinking that the medicine isn't working so they are switching around medications and changing doses which doesn't give it time to fully work. But that is my view on it. I think if you have had some times of feeling a little better then I'd say it probably is working but I'd say stay on the same dose for 6-8 weeks to start seeing more of a difference. And remember, most people have 'blips' for 3-6 months so try not to get discouraged and enjoy the good days! I keep a journal also which I like to go back and read to see the good days I've had ..That seems to give me hope, you could try that also 🙂

Hi. Finding the right medication or combination of meds is a process because each person has slightly different biochemistry. The process for antidepressants, in broad strokes, is to start on a low dose gradually increasing dosage until: symptoms show remission, tolerability level is reached or maximum therapeutic dose is reached without improvement - whichever comes first.

If the first medication isn't effective (which is common) or intolerable, you'll gradually taper off it and begin a different one. Nobody can say how long this process will be in your case, it does require patience - with the process and with yourself. I won't obfuscate the possibility that you'll be asked to cope with the drug's side effects or changes in symptoms while you and your doc figure out which treatment works for you. 

That said, you can be confident in the knowledge that this process actively addresses the underlying illness as opposed to it's symptoms.

One of many side effects I've experienced is an uptick in anxiety symptoms, it's not uncommon.

I take Trazodone at night along with Rozerem (which is another hypnotic class sleep medication) for chronic insomnia. I find it is fairly benign at doses of 25-50mg. 

14 hours ago, Grounded said:

Well I can tell you personally I started out low on my citalopram and slowly worked my way up. The doctor had told me that her target dose was 20mg so I did 3 weeks at 10mg, 2 weeks at 15mg and now Im at 3 weeks at 20mg the doctor had me do that to lessen any side effects that I may have and I think it worked because I dont remember having any real noticeable side effects from it. She did say she wants me to stay at 20mg now for 8-12 weeks to see how it does.  As far as increasing the dose and having to wait longer I am not sure, I am still waiting for relief but they say you should not watch in weeks towards feeling better but in months because it does take awhile to really let the meds level off, so that is what I've been doing. I have had a few ups and downs so far so I'm going to guess that it is starting to do something but as far as relief to where I would like it to be I've not hit that just yet, and I'm just trying to get by day to day for now trying to keep my anxiety down. I'm really unsure where doctors or the medicine companies get that it might take 4 weeks to become fully efffective, I mean, for some it may have helped that quickly but that would have to be not too common, and I think it leads people to thinking that the medicine isn't working so they are switching around medications and changing doses which doesn't give it time to fully work. But that is my view on it. I think if you have had some times of feeling a little better then I'd say it probably is working but I'd say stay on the same dose for 6-8 weeks to start seeing more of a difference. And remember, most people have 'blips' for 3-6 months so try not to get discouraged and enjoy the good days! I keep a journal also which I like to go back and read to see the good days I've had ..That seems to give me hope, you could try that also 🙂

Thank you so much Grounded. I’m going to stay on 10mg and see how it goes. 

My sleep is horrible! Yesterday the Hydroxyzine knocked me out and I sleep. Lastnight I took it and it did nothing! I have Trazodone but didn’t want to take it. I will have to tonight.

8 hours ago, Atra said:

Hi. Finding the right medication or combination of meds is a process because each person has slightly different biochemistry. The process for antidepressants, in broad strokes, is to start on a low dose gradually increasing dosage until: symptoms show remission, tolerability level is reached or maximum therapeutic dose is reached without improvement - whichever comes first.

If the first medication isn't effective (which is common) or intolerable, you'll gradually taper off it and begin a different one. Nobody can say how long this process will be in your case, it does require patience - with the process and with yourself. I won't obfuscate the possibility that you'll be asked to cope with the drug's side effects or changes in symptoms while you and your doc figure out which treatment works for you. 

That said, you can be confident in the knowledge that this process actively addresses the underlying illness as opposed to it's symptoms.

One of many side effects I've experienced is an uptick in anxiety symptoms, it's not uncommon.

I take Trazodone at night along with Rozerem (which is another hypnotic class sleep medication) for chronic insomnia. I find it is fairly benign at doses of 25-50mg. 

Thank you Atra, I truly appreciate your reply! 

Glad to see you are taking Trazodone. I was afraid to take it but after lastnight I have too!

one thing is I never have had sleep problems. Now I do. I hope this is one side effect of the meds that will go away!