A New Look Read more... ×
Why_Is_life

Clinic depression caused by Oral health/Common Cold?

You often see depressed people by how their faces whether or not they smile or not. I have a theory that clinic depression, isn't caused by neurotransmitters but actually not going to the dentist/orthodontist enough. I think depression is caused by the common cold which does more damage and maybe causing sleep apnea and other breathing disorders, which has seen a substantial rise, due to people getting sicker and sicker. Anyone want to look into a link where depression maybe caused by mouth breathing which may have been triggered by the common cold which maybe causing deviated septum? The face is designed to be very perfect. One slight out of balance, can hamper with your health and how we age and we get a cold very often and we never look at the long term problem it might generate.

A virus can do some pretty serious damage to our bodies. I used to get a lot of cold when I was little, but survived, but then got diagnosed with deviated septum, which triggered my sleep apnea and my teeth weren't straight. You'll see that a lot of health people have got straight teeth too. I reckon bad oral health which is where we are most vulnerable, is where majority of the diseases that we are seeing originate, but no one want to plug the hole at the origin. 

Edited by Why_Is_life

I think it's the other way around. Depressed people often neglect oral health because they are too exhausted to brush their teeth. If bad oral hygiene were a major cause of depression one would think that our ancestors would have suffered from it on a much grander scale. 

How would a common cold cause a deviated septum? It's something you're born with or get after an accident. 

I do agree however that sleep apnea is a major problem and can lead to depression or a worsening thereof. Its definitely something anyone suffering from depression should look into, most people don't realize they have it unless they have a partner nagging them about it. 

8 minutes ago, lonelyforeigner said:

I think it's the other way around. Depressed people often neglect oral health because they are too exhausted to brush their teeth. If bad oral hygiene were a major cause of depression one would think that our ancestors would have suffered from it on a much grander scale. 

How would a common cold cause a deviated septum? It's something you're born with or get after an accident. 

I do agree however that sleep apnea is a major problem and can lead to depression or a worsening thereof. Its definitely something anyone suffering from depression should look into, most people don't realize they have it unless they have a partner nagging them about it. 

The reason why I say it's caused by the common cold is because, we often get a runny nose and since are bodies are constantly growing/changing, our nose cartilage is very soft even up to early 20s, so when we get a cold, it's very fragile and all that coughing/sneezing/blowing, you can bet that over the years, can do some serious damage and your body will try to do adapt by making the walls thicker thus can cause a deviated septum. 

Sleep apnea has also been linked to heart attack/stroke/people going crazy. It is a scary disease. 

Edited by Why_Is_life

Although it is only my very fallible opinion, I think there is truth in what both of you have written.

I think it is quite common for people of every historical period to often believe that the current knowledge of the day is close to the end of abolishing ignorance.  What I mean to say is that many people in the 18th century thought that humans knew most of what was knowable and that all that was left was the little bit still unknown.  People of the 19th and 20th century often thought this about their own century.  But perhaps we are not close to the end when it comes to knowing.  Perhaps we are closer to the beginning.  

This is hard to put into words.  Perhaps instead of knowing 90% and having just 10% left in the dark, perhaps we know just 10% and there is 90% left to know.  Or perhaps instead of being near the end of the road we are a million miles from the end.

This is pure speculation of course.  I could be wrong.  I am often wrong about so many things.  I notice the many scholarly research articles on depression start with words such as "Even today, depression is still poorly understood . . ."  

10 minutes ago, lonelyforeigner said:

Oh and our ancestors didn't have bad teeth. Their teeth were very strong, but I think it's because we are so close to each other and the fact that the common cold has only been around until recently. 

7 minutes ago, LonelyHiker said:

I have excellent teeth and suffer from horrible depression. I have known people with horrible teeth who were not (to my knowledge) depressed in the least bit.

Ergo, I don't really buy your hypothesis.

Are you sure though? Maybe get it checked by a second opinion. My cousin who was an orthodontist said the same thing but then I saw it for myself with an imprint, and saw that he's sadly mistaken. I mouth breathe too which causes issues with breathing. Drugs are not the answer to fixing depression. Only capping it to another addiction. Addiction to the drugs.

Edited by Why_Is_life

34 minutes ago, LonelyHiker said:

Yes

Both top and bottom teeth? Have you had your inside of your mouth and nose checked too? I still think you should get a second opinion. Doctors have been more wrong than right for me. 

Edited by Why_Is_life

8 hours ago, Why_Is_life said:

Drugs are not the answer to fixing depression. Only capping it to another addiction. Addiction to the drugs.

If by drugs you're referring to antidepressants, antipsychotics and anti-anxiety medications - have a care. Because it sounds like you're stigmatizing taking medicine for a mental health condition by comparing that with addiction.

As for your belief that depression is somehow caused by crooked teeth/oral hygiene and has something to do with rhinovirus, correlation doesn't mean causation. 

On 1/13/2019 at 10:51 PM, Atra said:

If by drugs you're referring to antidepressants, antipsychotics and anti-anxiety medications - have a care. Because it sounds like you're stigmatizing taking medicine for a mental health condition by comparing that with addiction.

As for your belief that depression is somehow caused by crooked teeth/oral hygiene and has something to do with rhinovirus, correlation doesn't mean causation. 

Not stigmatizing it but explaining that there is a secret that someone is hiding. The face and the way we grow and our faces grow, tells a thousand stories. It shows how much crap has been thrown in our faces but it also tells the state of health of a person. Our environment greatly affects the way we grow up and change to an environment. Viruses are no different. Our mouth is the most vulnerable places of our bodies and so is our reproductive organs too. I think this is nature's way of controlling our population. 

If you see that anti depressants are only given short term and it's with good reason. 

Edited by Why_Is_life

I think it could be both--I think the neurotransmitters in the brain contributes to mental illness and a cold, deviated septum, etc. can add to depression, etc. cause I don't know anyone that feels all happy when they have a cold or what not...hope that made a little sense..8-// 

Edited by Paris43