sad in grand Rapids

panic attacks at night

Have you tried leaving the TV on at night? I have found that I am much more aware of anxiety symptoms when it's quiet, I'll start paying attention to my heart beat and the various physical anxiety symptoms, then the more I focus on these symptoms the more anxious I get. Distraction helps to some degree. 

On 1/12/2019 at 2:39 AM, lonelyforeigner said:

Have you tried leaving the TV on at night? I have found that I am much more aware of anxiety symptoms when it's quiet, I'll start paying attention to my heart beat and the various physical anxiety symptoms, then the more I focus on these symptoms the more anxious I get. Distraction helps to some degree. 

This is usually what I do.

On 1/11/2019 at 8:39 PM, lonelyforeigner said:

I also do this! It helps to distract me and keep my mind busy until I fall asleep. 

1 hour ago, Grounded said:

I also do this! It helps to distract me and keep my mind busy until I fall asleep. 

I do understand what you guys are talking about I leave my light on in the bathroom

so that my bedroom want be to dark and this gives me some comfort of not being in

a very dark room. 

3 minutes ago, Floor2017 said:

I do understand what you guys are talking about I leave my light on in the bathroom

so that my bedroom want be to dark and this gives me some comfort of not being in

a very dark room. 

I also make sure to have a light on in the bathroom or closet, waking up to a dark room has always made me anxious from the time I was a child and not sure why. But the sounds of the tv on helps with keeping my mind distracted. The therapist said its not a great idea because of the noise from it and not getting 'restful' sleep due to it but without it I lay there and my mind thinks of everything that bothers me if I don't and I can't even begin to fall asleep. 

3 hours ago, Grounded said:

The therapist said its not a great idea because of the noise from it and not getting 'restful' sleep due to it but without it I lay there and my mind thinks of everything that bothers me if I don't and I can't even begin to fall asleep. 

I guess that's something people who have a mind that is at peace cannot comprehend. The random thoughts that pop into my head are much more distractive than any background noise from the TV. I just stream stuff so it shuts off after a few hours of inactivity anyway, if not there's always sleep timers 🙂

5 hours ago, lonelyforeigner said:

I guess that's something people who have a mind that is at peace cannot comprehend. The random thoughts that pop into my head are much more distractive than any background noise from the TV. I just stream stuff so it shuts off after a few hours of inactivity anyway, if not there's always sleep timers 🙂

I agree, unless you been through it you don't understand. I would have a must less restful sleep if I had no noises distracting me, that is if I could fall asleep at all.