Sign in to follow this  
ICanDoThis

Weighted Blankets?

Does anyone use one and find that it helps? They seem pretty popular and claim to help just about everything.  I've always had cats sleeping pretty much on top of me so I don't know if I could do another 15lbs but I'm curious about it. 

Hi CanDo,

I'm not familiar with "weighted blankets", but usually, anything is possible.  I don't believe there to be experts in this field, so I can't imagine any harm by trying it as long as you keep the weight low, and don't become over heated.

Not to make light of what I know is a genuine question, it reminded me on first reading of one of the "tests" for whether or not a person was a witch was the "pressing" of witches.

I quote here from a web page of no repute, but as said, I've heard before of the test:

"Women were also literally pressed to test if they were witches. A board was laid on top of them and accusers would stack heavy rocks on it. More rocks were added to squeeze out the truth.  Many women confessed simply to avoid this torture, while those who plead innocence were crushed."  

Obviously, don't try this one at home.  And seriously, hope someone has information that will be helpful, and you are having a good day.

Bulgakov

Edited by Bulgakov
editing never ends

Never tried one but it seems like they could help by simulating touch. Touch has been shown to release oxytocin and endorphins which can be helpful for depression. 

I guess kinda like being hugged by a partner or having a cat on top of you 😉 I definitely slept better when I had cats and they would cuddle with me in bed, made me feel protected. 

I just watched video from SciShow on YouTube about this yesterday. Though not well researched there are some studies that show its effectiveness in different areas.

I personally like the feeling of weight over me, it is comforting, so I can see how it would work but I have not yet tried one of these blankets or sleeping with weight applied.

I have one. I can’t sleep under it. It’s too much with sheets and stuff. However, it does help soothe me during break downs. I just lay on top of the bed with it. 

My daughter in law makes a lot of these for people with anxiety, and also for kids with autism because it helps them to calm down. I've read the reviews from the people that have ordered and they seem to be happy and think they are working well so I'd say  it would be worth a try. I was considering it the other day too, let me know if you get one and how it works out. 

A weighted blanket would not work for me as it would hold me diwn, I like to feel free but if you are ok with the constrained feeling try it, nothing to lose whether it works or you think it works....

i have two cats that sleep with me so thats my limit

Not always but sometimes it helps me sleep better. I’ve been having insomnia problem recently and I don’t have it anymore so I use two blankets weigh me down and it’s same as having one heavy blanket.