Elander Dale

Mirtazapine/Risperidone

Hello!

I am a female veteran, Elander, so I get most of my treatment from the VA here in Delaware. I have been taking Mirtazapine and Risperidone both at bedtime for depression and sleep. I have insomnia pretty bad. It doesn't help me to sleep at night, even though I am to take it at bedtime. This medication was administered to me by the Behavioral Health Clinic at the VA Hospital.

Hello!

I am just learning how to reply. I only saw one reply option under the second message so I'll answer you both, until I learn better or maybe you could teach me. 

I am taking 15mg once every night before bedtime. I have been on the Mirtazapine for about week.

2 hours ago, Elander Dale said:

I am taking 15mg once every night before bedtime.

If 15mg doesn't knock you out you could try halving it (so 7.5mg), this drug is weird like that, lower doses make you sleepier than larger doses. 

If that doesn't work you could also ask your doctor about Trazodone, it's an older antidepressant that is often used as a sleep aid. It's pretty effective but you'll have to get to sleep early or you'll be super groggy in the morning. 

Do you practice good sleep hygiene? No modern sleep aid will knock you out cold like the old ones did, if you're reading or watching TV that can keep you awake. 

Thanks!

Tomorrow, I'll try taking have of the Mirtazapine, instead of a whole one and see what happens. Trazadone makes me vomit. I usually go to sleep on a normal around 10 pm. I think to be truthful, living in an apartment with thin wall, where you can hear everything coming from your neighbors apartment doesn't make things any easier for me either in the area of sleep. I pray that Mirtazapine knocks me out on the half of dose. I'll keep you posted!

1 minute ago, Elander Dale said:

I think to be truthful, living in an apartment with thin wall, where you can hear everything coming from your neighbors apartment doesn't make things any easier for me either in the area of sleep. 

True, that can be really challenging if you're a light sleeper. I too get distracted by every little noise and have found that it helps a lot to turn on the AC or when it's too cold, put on a documentary with a soothing narrator that I've seen often enough that it won't keep me engaged. I need to distract my brain so it doesn't look for unwelcome distractions.

Color noises can help too, like white noise, pink noise (kinda like a waterfall) and brown noise (a bit like the jet engine noise on a plane). You can easily find them on YouTube and various websites. 

Hello!

That's a great idea. I hadn't thought of that before. I'll start looking on YouTube for such color/noise for peace of mind. Yes, I am a very light sleeper and that comes from living in New York all my life, until about 20 years ago and now I am 53.

Hello

My doctor has allowed me to take one tablet of the Risperidone and 2 of the Mirtazapine so I am getting to sleep somehow. I take it every night around 8pm then I watch television. I notice that I sleep for 3 hours, go to the bathroom, go back to sleep, wake up around 8am, go back to sleep and, then get up around between 12pm or 1pm. I then take my shower and start my day.