Genuine bisexual?

I recently got into a bit of an argument with someone about bisexuality. He was trying to tell me that there are not many "genuine bisexuals". I told him that there are a lot of bisexual people, more than gays and lesbians. His definition was an equal attraction sexually and romantically for both sex's. No, this is not correct at all.  More bi erasure and this came from a gay man. How uninformed, rigid and judgemental some people still are.

2589271.jpeg

I know for me I could just as easily be with a man as I could be with a woman.  I just want to be loved.  It's as simple as that.  I know it's hard to make some people understand how I feel.  To be honest I'm tired of explaining myself to people about every part of my life.  I don't owe people an explanation about anything.  I'm just saying I understand how you feel completely.

Bi-erasure indeed. I'm saddened that while inclusion has grown in some ways, it hasn't advanced past this. I wish you weren't asked to justify your existence.

I have heard the "I don't want to believe it therefore it's untrue" position from the mouths of gay and straight people. Same for the "I once felt attracted to more than one gender - but I got over it, therefore I can define you" position.

I thought at first this illogical thinking had to be due to some lack of visibility. Nope. Where I live, bisexuals are out, numerous, visible yet doubts remain. I find that unbelievable.

Personally I think attraction has more to do with just the sexual aspect of chemistry. I believe one could be attracted to one sex one way, and another sex another way such as romantically, platonically, or even as a companion. Sexual attraction does not justify or solidify how you are attracted to someone in my opinion. However you are drawn to someone is your own unique way, and it is yours to embody and live by.

17 hours ago, Keemkeem said:

I believe one could be attracted to one sex one way, and another sex another way such as romantically, platonically, or even as a companion.

Correct - and some include spiritually attracted among the important ways in which we bond.

Which is why the man who said to @Oldtroll that his definition of "genuine bisexual" was "equal attraction sexually and romantically for both sex's" has an incomplete understanding of attraction.

This man was saying that bisexual heteroromantics, for example, are either invisible to him and/or are unworthy of his recognition as bisexual. Either way he erases a lot of bisexuals - and for what purpose, why must those people disappear?