A New Look Read more... ×
Extremebeginner

Anybody have experience with Sroquel

I am scared to take this one again, so anybody used it and what for. The list if side effects include many bad things. I used it and had hallucinations that were all too real. Help please all comments, good or bad

I took it for a few months, was supposed to help with depression and anxiety since the AD alone wasn't working for me. Didn't really do much of anything, good or positive. 

Antipsychotics in general seem to have countless serious side-effects listed, particularly if taken for a long time. Doesn't mean you will experience any of them but you should certainly be careful and report anything you notice to your doctor. It's always a balancing act of good vs bad, I'd probably rather experience some side-effects than deal with realistic hallucinations but that's something you need to decide for yourself.

I have been taking seroquel for over ten years. My psychiatrists prescibe it to help with depression and anxiety, but it’s essentially just a sleeping pill. I don’t sleep at all without it. I’m positive I’m hooked on it, which I’ve mentioned to my psychiatrists before, but it oddly doesn’t alarm them. 

They gave it me as an add on sleeping pill, wirh anti-anxiety effects too. I didnt take it yet, this time because I recall the most severe / scariest hallucinations ever with it. 

Thanks for your observations on your use, I am severely anxious and depressed but dont want all this to end just cuz of a new pill

What is the normal dose required to knock you out. I seem to have a tiny little pill and wonder if it is doing anything. Iknow Ill go ask the doc but wanted to feel out normal doses, I just started this as an add on

I was prescribed seroquel for its antipsychotic effects many years ago (I had been experiencing hallucinations to go along with depression and panic attacks at the time...I was a mess).  It did in fact work very well for that (for me), but the side effects were terrible.  Like full body restless legs syndrome, as well as strange electric feelings that would last for a several hours after I took my dose.  Also caused me to feel like an emotional zombie.  BUT...it did work for what my p-doc prescribed it for.  It took away my hallucinations.  

Later on a new psychiatrist said I no longer needed it and tapered me off of it and replaced it with clonazepam (which I still take but am very slowly tapering off, I need to start a thread about that 🙂 ) 

Im on Seroquel and Clonamezapan, and both seem to work well on my anxiety. I couldnt get by on my ADs alone..... I dont have any undesireable side effects but I am sleepy. I just concede and go back to bed, saving my energy for when I might need it. Better to be slightly hapoy once in the day than not at all I guess

my eyesight seems to be getting worse with Them both.....

Edited by Extremebeginner

I'm so glad that the meds are helping your anxiety, and without many side effects, that's great! 🙂  

It's interesting you mentioned eyesight getting worse as I've noticed the same thing.  Sometimes I'm not sure if it's just me getting older, but I don't think so.  I really can't remember if seroquel caused me any vision problems, as I was taking it 20+ years ago.  But I definitely know that clonazepam has.  When I was taking higher doses of clon. I'd notice a frequent blurring of vision.  Still do now but it seems to be more temporary.  

On 1/8/2019 at 12:52 AM, Extremebeginner said:

I am scared to take this one again, so anybody used it and what for. The list if side effects include many bad things. I used it and had hallucinations that were all too real. Help please all comments, good or bad

I take 400mg seroquel and 45mg mirtazapine nightly.

It's actually helped to rid me of hallucinations.

Weird, huh?

I took seroquel xr 150mg a day for three years.  It was easily the most successful med I took out of everything I tried. It worked the best and had the least impactful side effects for me. It really helped my insomnia anxiety and to lesser extent depression. I strongly suspect I am bipolar2 but have never been diagnosed with that. Idk maybe that is why seroquel really worked for me when serotonin ssri meds never really helped me only made things worse However in taking seroquel (and Ativan 4xweek) for three years I gained 40lb and then my doctor retired early due to illness and I could not find a new doctor that would prescribe me Ativan. I decided to change my medication because the weight gain was really bothering me. Tapering off seroquel was a breeze compared to an ssri or snri even including I tapered off Ativan at the same time. 

The other side effect I noticed with seroquel is feeling fatigued throughout the day and needing at least bare minimum 8 but preferably 9-10 hours sleep a day. Which it helped me actually sleep. 

Tapering off seroquel and ativan at the same time won't be a breeze for most people.  I've done both at separate times and they were a nightmare of the highest order for me.