katrinasurvivor

Mylan not making bupropion anymore! Help me find an alternative.

I was first prescribed Wellbutrin over 20 years ago, and it was the only drug that helped my terrible suicidal depression.  This was not my first depressive episode, but it was the worst.  They had tried every drug on the market and nothing worked.  I even had shock treatments, which didn't work, either.  Wellbutrin had just come on the market and when they tried it, it was almost miraculous.  The depression dissipated and I've been on it ever since (I suffer from major depressive disorder).  When generic Wellbutrin became available, I started taking Mylan bupropion and there was a smooth transition.  No problems.  Suddenly, last year, the stores of Mylan started to dry up.  I found out, to my dismay, that Mylan had decided to stop making all of their bupropion products in June of 2018.  I've managed to stockpile some from various sources, but I've been trying other generics to find one that worked for me.  I never expected it to be such an ordeal and I'm feeling hopeless.  I was first given Solco, which made me nauseated, gave me headaches and drove my blood pressure sky high.  My doctor tried to tell me that I was "anticipating" a problem and that it was a "self-fulfilling" prophecy.  He was so wrong.  I was busy and focused on other things and was confounded by why I was suddenly so nauseated and miserable and didn't even think to check my blood pressure until I began to suspect, after several weeks, that the new generic bupropion might be the problem.  I had enough Mylan that I was able to go back on it, but it took a month for my blood pressure to normalize.  Then I tried Watson.  At first, I thought it would be okay, but quickly discovered that it's sustained release properties were a joke.  It would take me up very quickly and drop me like a lead balloon 8 hours later.  I couldn't stay awake in the afternoon.  But the worst thing was that after about a week, I became extremely depressed again.  I went back on Mylan until I stabilized again, then I tried Sandoz.  At first I thought I had found the magic bullet.  It is genuinely sustained release.  I'm on a high dose (400mg SR daily) and I did have some issues with nausea and tinnitus, but figured I could work around those things.  I didn't become depressed, but after exactly a month on Sandoz, I became extremely constipated.  I was forced to take a lot of laxatives.  I didn't want to believe that it was the Sandoz.  After several weeks, my husband suggested that it might be the Sandoz, but I was still reluctant to accept it.  I didn't want to try another generic bupropion.  So I toughed it out for another 2 months on Sandoz, but finally, the combination of nausea, tinnitus, and especially the constipation drove me back on Mylan.  I've been on Mylan now for 2 weeks, but I'm still having constipation issues.  I hope that it will get better after I've been back on Mylan longer.  I've been lucky, my mail-order pharmacy has been able to supply me with Mylan, but I know that will run out eventually.  I've been buying the other generics out-of-pocket in order to try them because my insurance company wouldn't pay for both the Mylan and the other generic at the same time.  I want to keep getting Mylan as long as they will send it to me, but  I have to find another generic that I can tolerate and that will work for me.  I'm terrified that I will go back into the awful depression that I've experienced before.   I've been reading hundreds of accounts of people's experiences with different generics of bupropion.  I know that what works for some won't necessarily work for another.  I've read some good things about Anchen, and wondered if I should try it next.  My doctor is prepared to go through the authorization process for the brand name, but I know the insurance company will fight it.  Can anyone help or advise me? 

Hi Katrinasurvivor (I have a 14 yo cat that was a Hurricane Katrina rescue.  I adopted her at the Orlando Humane Society - now part of Pet Alliance - she was chipped, declawed, spayed, and obviously had always been well-cared for.  A chipped cat wouldn't be adopted out unless the owners surrendered her.  I've often wondered what happened to her owners.  Anyway...),

I understand the panic of not having medication that works.  I've been on a combo of Wellbutrin/bupropion and Zoloft/sertraline for 15 years; I'd been on Zoloft with other combinations another 15.  I didn't realize Mylan wasn't making bupropion any longer.  Just checked my bottle and I have Solco.  No side effects thus far.  I'm sorry you're going through this.

Update - I still had the Wellbutrin bottle from my previous Dr. which was filled June 2, 2018.  The manufacturer for it was Cipla.  Same pharmacy.  Waned to add that name since I don't think it's one you've tried.

Edited by Teril
Update

According to the FDA's NDC directory, they seem to be still making it. It could be that they're just back-ordered.

The NDC (national drug code) is 0378-3413-01 for a bottle of 100 tablets of 200 mg SR, and 0378-3413-05 for a bottle of 500. You can give the pharmacy these codes and ask them to order from Mylan, and hopefully their wholesaler will be able to supply you with Mylan. If not, you can try another pharmacy.

If all else fails, you could try another formulation of bupropion.

Have you ever tried the XL formulation of bupropion? You could try taking a 300 mg XL tablet in the morning + a 150 mg SR tablet at noon (this is what I've done before), or 3 tablets of 150 mg XL... There's also the possibility of adding instant release bupropion on top of either SR or XL bupropion. I've done 300 mg XL + 100 mg IR in the AM + noon for 500 mg.

There's a brand of bupropion called Forfivo XL that only makes a 450 mg pill in the XL formulation.

There's also bupropion hydrobromide, which is branded Aplenzin. The dosing is different (150 mg = 174 mg, 300 mg = 348 mg, 450 mg = 522 mg), and not many insurance companies cover it... Supposedly the HBr formulation is smoother and more stable than the HCl formulation.

Edited by mikl_pls

i just went through this myself. the Walgreens by me has started using Apotex (75mg IR), and they felt effective for the first few days, then not so much. the Rite-Aid near work which i've been going to for a while has the Heritage generic. i've never had a specific problem or side-effect, but i hadn't thought to experiment with other generics.

finally... the CVS near me had a stock of Mylan. pharmacist seemed to confirm that they've switched over to Heritage as their supplier. so, guess i'll try out the Mylan for a month!

Sleepystupid,

How did the Heritage work out for you?  I was on the Sandoz and CVS does not have it because there's a shortage.  It's on back order.  I was forced to get mine filled with the Heritage.  I have OCD so i'm obsessing about the Heritage.  I feel like my heart is beating faster, I'm having intrusive thoughts, afraid of going crazy, feel like I might be dizzy, you name it.  I'm not sure if it's all in my head or if it's real.  On Saturday I have two glasses of wine with dinner (that's the only time I drink).  I've never had any issue with the Sandoz and the wine but now I'm paranoid I'll have some kind of problem like a seizure, hallucinations, etc..  I'm reading too much on the internet!!  

I have been taking bupropion 150 sr by Dr. Reddy twice a day for the past 4 months.  My doctor slowly worked me up to this dose.  Started with 100 sr, then 150 sr, to 200 sr, and finally 150 sr x2 daily. Each different dose was a different generic. Since it is the first time on bupropion for me, I really didn’t know how I was supposed to feel. The bupropion is working really well for me.  However, since taking the dr reddy generic (4 months) I’ve had side effects that just never went away.   And I struggled with them every day.  Strong dizziness, headache, extreme fatigue, bad sleep, like I was awake all night, and very painful muscles and joints. I’m also on Paxil. I suspected the bupropion was causing these symptoms. So first I went from 150 twice a day to taking 150 dr reddy in the morning and 100 at night.  The 100 dose was leftover from when I was starting out and it is the Solco brand.  This knocked the symptoms down quite well but after 4 days I started feeling blah, so I went back up to the 150x2 of Dr Reddy brand. Symptoms came back strongly, yet I did feel better and less blah. Ok, so I know the 300 dose is what I needed and my symptoms were not from it being too strong a dose. Next thing I tried was a different generic ..150 sr by  Mylan. This Mylan was also leftover from last summer. Bingo! After a day or two, all those bad symptoms went away. I feel more stable on the Mylan with zero side effects.  Called CVS and requested Mylan. I am told they discontinued the 150sr. 😣 And that is where I’m at now.  I was offered Teva or Solco. I will try the Solco first.  Another thing I thought would be to do 200 sr in morning and 100sr at night as the pharmacist said Mylan  still makes those 2 doses and also the 300xl. Will discuss this with my doctor next week at appointment. Anyone have trouble with the Dr. Reddy generic?

On 3/16/2019 at 1:39 PM, para_life said:

Sleepystupid,

How did the Heritage work out for you?  I was on the Sandoz and CVS does not have it because there's a shortage.  It's on back order.  I was forced to get mine filled with the Heritage.  I have OCD so i'm obsessing about the Heritage.  I feel like my heart is beating faster, I'm having intrusive thoughts, afraid of going crazy, feel like I might be dizzy, you name it.  I'm not sure if it's all in my head or if it's real.  On Saturday I have two glasses of wine with dinner (that's the only time I drink).  I've never had any issue with the Sandoz and the wine but now I'm paranoid I'll have some kind of problem like a seizure, hallucinations, etc..  I'm reading too much on the internet!!  

to be honest, the Heritage is fine (been back on it after that month of Mylan). Have never tried Sandoz but willing to give it a shot if it comes around. i think thus far my experience has been: Heritage > Mylan > Apotex.

i'm not sure about all those side-effects, sounds like self-induced paranoia,  but i can say that the Heritage brand seems to be a little "speedy" for sure. i used to drink 2 cups of coffee a day, but i've recently quit the afternoon cup because it feels overwhelming with the bup. only other obvious side-effect is ringing in my ears, but i've gotten used to it.

Edited by sleepystupid

Sleepystupid,

Thank you so much for answering my post.  I've been on the Heritage for about 3 weeks now.  I was on 150mg a day of the Sandoz but because the Heritage is "speedier" as you say, I had to go to 75mg per day of the Heritage.  I'm very sensitive to any kind of medication so I did have side-effects but they got better after about a week.  I'm still having some irritability, increased anxiety and muscle cramps in my legs but I'm much better.  I notice I have a lot more motivation on the Heritage.  I am wondering if the Sandoz wasn't effective for me for some reason.  I'm going to stick with the Heritage because it's made in the US unlike Sandoz that is made in Canada.  Just about every pharmacy I spoke to carries it and I'm not going to go back to the Sandoz even if it does come back in supply.

Have a great weekend!

My original post was a desperate plea.  I had tried several generic versions of bupropion and had various kinds of bad side effects.  The good news is that Mylan IS making bupropion again, but not the bupropion SR that I had been taking.  From another website with a thread from other people also desperate to find a generic bupropion that helped them, I discovered that Mylan resumed making regular (immediate release) bupropion and was to resume making bupropion XL.  One woman commented that she had successfully switched to the regular Mylan bupropion.  I looked up some research on it and learned that while it peaks a bit sooner than SR (after about 2 hours), it also gets to a lower serum level more quickly as well.  That meant I could take my second dose earlier and it was easier to get to sleep.  I'm glad to report that this has worked successfully for me for several months now.  Many of the forms of generic bupropion out there are really not very good (if I'm to believe the postings of many users).  They are frustrated by their pharmacies switching their generics without warning.  Bupropion seems to be a medication that has to be precise in order to be effective.  Mylan, Sandoz, and of course the prohibitively expensive brand name Wellbutrin are three that seem to work well for most people.  I had some issues with Sandoz but I have relatives who have done well on it.  I just wanted to update this post for others searching for a generic bupropion that works for them.

I have been taking the branded Wellbutrin XL 2 150mg per day for years.  I have tried about every other antidepressant out there and this has worked best for me.  But in the last year or two the manufacturer uped the price to as one said "prohibitively expensive prices".  The cost of a month's supply cost's well over $2,000.  I haved tried two previous forms of the generic and had bad side effects and got even more depressed.  I am lucky because my insurance company continues to pay for my Wellbutirn XL despite it's ridicously high price.  My co-pays are hefty however.

It is good to hear that Mylan has a good generic out that has been reforumlated.  Espespecially  if my insurance stops paying for my branded.

Thanks for the info!

And NOW the immediate release (or regular) Mylan 100 is on back-order - perhaps until February!  I just got an email from my mail-order pharmacy saying, basically, "We don't got it.  We can't get it."  What they offer is Solco, which is awful from my perspective.  I read somewhere on the forum that it's the inactive ingredients in SR & XL generics that cause people a lot of problems.  He said, if you have to change generics, go to a regular release.  If you look up Wellbutrin online, you can easily find the graphs that show the release times (peaks and valleys) of the immediate release, the sustained release and extended release.  I'm going to try the Sandoz again, I guess, but I'm going to try the immediate release formula.  My insurance company is like the Wizard of Oz, they won't pay for brand name Wellbutrin, "Not no how."

Just spoke with Mylan.  Now the Mylan Immediate Release is backordered until APRIL 27th.  I was first told November, then told February.  Today, the end of April.  So I have to find an alternative.  Because I take 400mg a day, there is no XL version of that unless I go to 450mg, which I don't want to do.  400mg is already a lot!  I'm afraid of the constipation that might come along with XL.  I can't take Sandoz SR for that reason, though it works great for a lot of people.  I've read of other people being "speedy" on Heritage, which is what my pharmacy is offering me now.  Actavis made me speedy - almost euphoric - in the morning and if I didn't time my second (SR) dose exactly right, I'd be falling asleep mid-afternoon.  I mean, literally, couldn't keep my eyes open, passing out.  As someone who has insomnia at times, it was kind of a nice feeling, but not at 5 p.m.  Then bedtime would roll around and I couldn't get to sleep.  I guess I could give Heritage a try, but it's scary.  And I already have fluctuating tinnitus, and worsening the ear ringing worries me.   One woman said she was going out of her mind when she was switched to Heritage and had to cut the dosage in half.  Then she was okay.  I "stockpiled" Mylan bupropion while it was still available, but I'll run out before April, so I've got to think of something.  I was thinking of trying Mylan in the morning and Heritage as my second dose (or something) to try to get me through.  I've got so many other problems in my life right now, that I really didn't need this one.  

I've spent so much time trying to research alternatives to Mylan bupropion over the past 18 months, that I sometimes feel I do nothing else.  I know Solco is pretty awful.  I had problems with Sandoz, Actavis and others.  It seems that on most generic bupropions, people have nasty side effects or they just don't work for depression.  I'm feeling really beaten down by the number of things I'm trying to deal with.  As they say where I live, "I'm up to my a** in alligators."  Except it feels more like up to my neck.   I can't solve one problem before 3 more crop up.  I'll say this, I started taking Macuguard for my eyes, and it has Saffron (good for eyesight) in it.  Studies have shown that Saffron works as well as many antidepressants (don't try it until you check out the research and with your doctor.  The therapeutic dose is said to be 15mg twice a day.  And not all brands of Saffron are good) .  I feel like it's the Saffron in the Macuguard that is keeping me going.  Otherwise, I don't know if I could get out of bed.  

This is too long and TMI, but I'm so weary of fighting battles on so many fronts.  I thought the bupropion problem was solved (with the Mylan Immediate Release) after a year of trying different generics brands of bupropion.  No other antidepressant but Wellbutrin/bupropion has worked for me and I've tried many.  SSRI's just don't work for me.  Now I'm back to square 1.  I even called Valeant and was told that they're only making XL now.  

I've also been on Remeron for 25 years and never felt it did me any good at all.  Finally, about 4 years ago, I started very gradually lowering my dose of Remeron, eventually getting from 45mg a day to 11.25 (I'm good at cutting pills).  I had no problems lowering Remeron until I got down to about 15mg and then I suddenly had allergies that I'd never had before.  Basically, dependence on Remeron (an antihistamine!) has messed up my body's normal histamine response.   I don't know what to do anymore.  I've always been a problem solver, solving my own problems and helping other people, too.  Now I've got too many of my own and can no longer find solutions just for my own.  Sorry this is so long, but for those of you who made it this far, thanks for letting me unload.

I'm open to any suggestions! 

I just called Mylan to ask if they were making the 150sr or 100sr and they said no.  They stopped making them.  I asked them who they gave their recipe to.  lol. They said no one, they just stopped making it.  Which led me to believe, the recipe is out there, but it's the quality of ingredients used in these generics that makes them bad and not work right.

I spent a whole year on Solco bupropion 300sr.  I had joint swelling and pain in joints, stuffy nose, stuffy breathing, constant congestion, coughing, sneezing, couldn't breathe, had sleep issues big time, bad dreams, ate sugar and chocolate all day long.  Felt like I was going to die at certain points in the day.  That's not normal! It sounds like a drug allergy to me.

I finally quit taking it altogether and those symptoms all went away.  Three weeks later,  with no bupropion in my system I gradually became more fatigued and foggy headed, slow brain.  So I had to start it up again, using some old Mylan 100sr that I had.  The Mylan works like it's supposed to and I am feeling normal on it.    Sleeping normal.            I have a few days left of the Mylan.    😫

KatrinaSurvivor, I understand how you feel.  As it stands right now I'm getting ticked off because of these inferior products/ingredients being made out there.   And wondering where the FDA is in all of this. 

I feel your pain, Laura.  Solco is awful.  Other generics I tried gave me awful side effects, too.  IMHO, the FDA is pretty much of a joke.  I began taking Mylan immediate release when they discontinued SR and that worked out fine for me.  It kicks in a bit faster, but that wasn't a problem.  I thought I was saved.  But suddenly, it wasn't available.  First Mylan told me it was on back order until February.  The last thing I heard (several weeks ago) was that it was back ordered until May.  I can't last that long on what I have left.  I finally threw in the towel, went to my primary care physician, and asked him to jump through the hoops for my insurance company to pay for brand name Wellbutrin.  

After my phoning the company that makes brand name Wellbutrin (the company used to be called Valeant, now called Bausch - these companies are constantly buying each other up and changing their names), I found that they ONLY make 150 XL and 300 XL.  I've been taking 400mg a day and didn't want to go up to 450mg or down to 300mg.  I told my doc to go for the 300 XL and I'd add 100mg of the immediate release to total 400mg.  I'm hoping that will enable me to last until May - and hoping that Mylan will come through.  But there's no guarantee that Mylan will have the immediate release available even in May.  I've learned the hard way that the dates they give us are a moving target.  I haven't started taking the XL yet.  

Sandoz is a good alternative for most people, but I had problems with it.  The Sandoz SR caused me horrible constipation that I hadn't experienced with any of the others.  I had to stop taking it.  I've never taken any form of XL before, and I'm afraid that I'll have some of the same constipation issues with it that I had with Sandoz.  I've gotten into my head that there's something in the extended release formulas that causes constipation (only speculation on my part).  I could be completely wrong about that.  I've been going through an extremely stressful time lately, and this medication issue is just one more stressor.  

I now have a 3 months supply of the brand name Wellbutrin XL but I've been afraid to start it.  I've been trying to stabilize physically and mentally enough to try it (I first started many years ago on Wellbutrin taking the brand name SR and it worked great.  When Mylan came out with the generic SR, I switched to that and never had a problem.  I took it for years.  It never occurred to me that it would suddenly become unavailable).  If I'm stable, I'll be able to recognize any negative side effects of the Wellbutrin XL.  

I've read that some people have tried the generic Heritage immediate release (I don't know if they make SR), but apparently, it's too strong for some people - and they've had to cut their dose in half to tolerate it.  We shouldn't have to be guinea pigs for pharmaceutical companies and the FDA, but we are.  

I'll add a hopeful note.  I recently started taking a vision supplement that has saffron in it.  I had read a lot of good things about saffron and how it could help your vision, which is one of my problems right now.  What I didn't know, was that saffron is also an antidepressant.  I got an immediate lift from the saffron without knowing why I felt better.  I started reading about its antidepressant qualities.  The supplement I take has 20mg of saffron in it.  

The therapeutic dose of saffron for depression, according to studies, is 30mg a day, divided into two 15mg doses.  It has a short half life, and I can feel it wearing off by afternoon.  It does help get me up and motivated in the morning.  But saffron is a supplement, and you have to be really careful about who you get it from and how much you are taking.  If you look at the reviews of saffron on WebMD, you'll see that many people use it instead of antidepressants.  

But read the research yourself.  If you decide to take saffron, be careful who manufactures it and how much you are taking.  Like all supplements and drugs, some people have allergic or unpleasant reactions, but most seem to tolerate it well.  It's definitely helping me.

As for Wellbutrin XL, I'm trying to be brave enough to try it.  I went through of year of trying various generics and been burned so many times that I'm afraid of anything new.  Wish me luck.

I wonder if Mylan is making any form of bupropion.  Not sounding like it..  

I definitely understand the trepidation in trying the XL.  Although I have more trust in the name brand than a generic. It might be a little different than the SR, but at least it's name brand.   And I agree it's a good idea to start it when you're stable on a dose.  

Thanks for the info on saffron.   If I could only take a pill and feel better......Oh that's right, I am taking pills.  Will check out the saffron and be careful about it.  I know there are some alternate treatments out there, but doctors say they aren't proven.     

If you'll look at some of the research (actual research studies) done comparing the effectiveness of saffron as an antidepressant to an Rx antidepressant (Prozac is one I remember), they found it to be as effective as Prozac without the side effects -and no unpleasant withdrawal  (something drug companies don't like anyone to talk about when it comes to antidepressants).  

I am a strong believer in reading actual research studies, though I'm also aware that statistics can be skewed to suit the researchers and whatever drug company is subsidizing them.  Getting to the truth can sometimes be very difficult.  

The difference in this case, to my mind, is that no one has anything to gain by promoting saffron.  It's been around forever, no drug company has a anything to gain by people using it and it can be used for cooking or to make tea - some people prefer it that way.  

I'm starting to feel more stable, so I'm thinking about starting the Wellbutrin XL.

Mylan still maintains that they are going to keep making the immediate release and the XL but no longer making the SR, but that the immediate release in on back order.  We'll see...

This is off topic, but as an aside, my stumbling upon saffron was in my search for a vision supplement.  Optometrists had been pushing AREDS on me for several years, but I was skeptical about the research, subsidized by Bausch and Lomb.  The more I read, the more skeptical I became.  I just didn't think AREDS was that great (my opinion), but it did contain some elements that could be helpful as vision supplements.  That's when I ran across research about saffron as a vision supplement, not knowing about its antidepressant qualities.  Imagine my surprise the first time I took it (I was relatively stable at the time but with my usual dysthymia) and suddenly I felt actually happy.  I wanted to do things.  I didn't know why.  Later I found out it was the saffron.

Since I've been going through more depression recently because of a lot of stressors, the saffron has helped to keep me afloat, it motivates me to get out of bed, to do things.   I can't say I'm happy at the moment, but I'm used to not being happy.  As I told my husband, I'm just glad not to be miserable.  

Interesting.  I agree about reading research studies.    

I am a strong believer in reading actual research studies, though I'm also aware that statistics can be skewed to suit the researchers and whatever drug company is subsidizing them.  Getting to the truth can sometimes be very difficult.  

I agree with what you said here.  We need to be discerning when considering the studies' findings.

I'm going to try to find the actual saffron strands to use in cooking or making tea.  And also looking into growing them, since I'm a gardener.  I have a hard time getting out of bed in the morning, ever since I started taking ssris.  The bupropion hasn't helped with that either.   But I think I just need a med adjustment.   Anyway, the saffron is relatively safe,  and I'd like to get some to try.

Saffron is an expensive spice, but it's important to get the best quality if you are going to use it for cooking or tea. I don't know where you live, but it's best grown in a very hot, dry climate.  The best quality saffron for cooking comes from Spain or Iran, as I understand it.  There is plenty of bogus spice sold as saffron, so if you buy it for cooking or tea, be sure to check out the quality and the supplier.  

I am definitely NOT a gardener, so I prefer the pills, as long as I trust the supplier.  With the pills, I know exactly how much I'm getting.  Having said that, many people prefer using the spice for cooking or tea.

I know how it feels to barely be able to get out of bed - or just doing anything by sheer force of will.  SSRIs never helped me, while bupropion has.  But there again, not all bupropion is created equal, as we know.  Most of the generics did not help me at all and gave me awful side effects, as I've said.  

I wish you much luck.  Keep me posted on how your saffron experience goes.

Hello Katrinasurvivor,    just checking in to see if you have any news on the Mylan bupropion.  I recently read that Pfizer is taking over Mylan with it's Upjohn division.  Have you heard that?   This could be the reason for the interruption in the manufacturing of bupropion.   It would be nice if they start making it again.

Have you started the Mylan xl yet?  If so, how is it going?

My doctor actually got my insurance company to spring for the brand name Wellbutrin XL, but I'm not taking it.  I discovered that 75mg tablets of Mylan Bupropion Immediate Release were available and I've been taking that some of the time (paid for out of pocket) because I've done well on Mylan Bupropion Immediate Release 100s, which, as far as I know, are still not available.  Brand name Wellbutrin only makes XL now, no sustained release or immediate release.  I took one of the brand name XL pills one day and had a moderate headache in the afternoon - which may or may not have been related to the Wellbutrin XL.  I did have some trouble sleeping that night.  So as long as I can dig up the Mylan Immediate Release, I'll continue to take that, since they have discontinued the sustained release.  I can tell little difference between the sustained release and the immediate release, which is what I found when I read some studies of people being switched from SR to IR.  I like immediate release because I can take it earlier and get to sleep earlier.  If I eventually run out of Mylan immediate release, I will fall back on the brand name Wellbutrin XL and we'll see what happens.  The last I heard, Mylan was supposed to have the immediate release 100s available at the end of April.  So we'll see...   Thanks to all concerned.  I know that generic bupropion has been big problem for a lot of people, especially when pharmacies switch generics without telling you.  Many of the bupropion generics out there are really bad.  If you find a generic that works for you, make sure the pharmacy knows the specific generic that you want or have your doctor specify on the prescription that it is to be that brand of generic bupropion only.  

Thanks for the update.  I will say that since I switched from Solco generic to Sandoz that I am doing much better, with no side effects.  I almost thought it wasn't working because I wasn't having any side effects!   My Pdoc just changed my bupropion to XL from sr.  Did not give me a reason, did not ask me how I felt about it.  I've been questioning his competence this past year, since changing over to him from my primary doctor.  He doesn't say much, offers no guidance.  My follow-up appointments take about 5 minutes.  I am still not optimized.  Do psychiatrists go through 8 plus years of schooling just to spend 5 minutes with their patients who are pretty much dependent on them?  I was hoping to get a little more out of a psychiatrist than I would a primary care doctor, but it is not happening.

I feel a rant coming, lol:  A lot of advice on the forums have been to go to a psychiatrist rather than a primary doctor for treatment.  Well,  at least in my neck of the woods, I find that the "specialists" are somewhat arrogant.  Which does not help the patient at all.  What they say goes?  I don't think so.  That's a scary feeling when you are dependent on them for treatment.  And they are not listening to you, nor offering guidance, or asking questions.   I had an endocrinologist like that too.  Okay I'm done....ranting.

Anyone have tips on finding the right psychiatrist?  Like,  can I ask for a consultation first before signing up with them?

Hi Laura,

I was on Wellbutrin SR then Mylan Bupropion SR for many years.  The downside to SR is having to take it twice a day, which was never a problem for me.  If for some reason it does turn out to be a problem, insist on being switched back to XL.  Some people have more trouble sleeping with one or the other.  I liked SR because I could take it 8 hours apart (They say 8 to 12) and be "coming down" enough to sleep at bedtime.  I usually woke up around 6am and knocked back my first dose of Bupropion SR and went back to sleep.   That way I could take the 2nd dose in the early afternoon.  You peak sooner with SR than with XL, just as you peak sooner with Immediate Release than with SR or XL.  It could be that your Pdoc just made a mistake.  If I have a written Rx I will always check it before leaving the doctor's office, because sometimes they're just distracted and I've often found mistakes.  I've found mistakes when I've picked up drugs at the pharmacy that had been called in.  Doctors have too many patients and too little time.  Some of this is the fault of the system in which they are obliged to work.  

I could get into the same rant myself.  I just switched ophthalmologists because I felt the one I was seeing was dismissive, and I just didn't like the treatment or attitude I was getting.  If you are unhappy with ANY doctor (this includes therapists and counselors) after giving them a fair try, find another one.   I haven't seen a psychiatrist in years for prescribing psych meds.  I didn't find them any better than any other doctors - and you're right, the time you spend with them is very short.  I've fortunately found a primary care doc who actually LISTENS to me and gives me feedback.  We don't always agree, but he will listen to my concerns.  You have to be your own advocate when it comes to medicine.  A good book to read is "Your Medical Mind."  Know as much as you can about any meds you are taking and make decisions based on what you know about your own body and how they affect you.  I hate switching doctors, but I've had to do it twice in the last few years.  If you're not happy with the shrink, find one you're happy with.  Some can be real jerks (as in any profession).  Or simply find another primary care physician that listens.  My experience tells me that very few doctors, psychiatrists or other medical professionals know much about the medications they are prescribing.  They know even less about withdrawal from the medications they prescribe (don't start me on that one).  To cut them some slack, there are just too many meds and too many side effects.  Don't let them make decisions for you.  All decisions about medications should be by mutual agreement.

Good luck!  I feel that all of us on this forum are in this together.  We are struggling with many of the same issues.  It's not an easy life living with mental illness.  I've suffered from major depressive bouts for the last 50 years.  That means I'm OLD!  😄  This forum has helped me through some tough times.  There is always someone who knows what you are going through and how you feel.    

Thank you, KatrinaSurvivor for the pep talk.  I've been taking the SR for the past 1 1/2 yrs.  so I know how it works.  My body is used to it.  I even take my second dose at bedtime with the Paxil.  And I can still sleep.   Maybe I'll give the XL a try though, but if it doesn't work out, I will demand to be switched.  I do have a good primary doctor.  May as well have him take over my medications.  He talks to me and informs me.  Why pay extra for a specialist that doesn't talk to me.   I appreciate what you had to say.  Thank you.

Hi Laura,

I see, I got it backwards (a sudden bout of dyslexia).  You HAD been taking the SRs and he switched you to XL.  And, yes, if you don't like the XL, demand to be switched back - and you don't have to wait until the prescription runs out.  

Ah, the good ol' days, when I could take my second dose of SRs at bedtime and sleep like a baby.  Not any more.  

Just talked to Mylan late yesterday and the latest word is they don't have a clue when either the Bupropion immediate release 100s or the 75s will be available, so I'm going to have to put on my big girl panties, be brave and try the brand name XL.  I'm afraid that I'll have side effects from the XL.  Like my dog, I don't like change. 

I think Sandoz is a good alternative, but I had side effects that I couldn't live with, unfortunately.  But it's good for many people.  You may be right about the Pfizer buyout being a reason for part of the problem.  These drug companies are constantly buying each other out, which makes it hard to know which version of a particular drug you're getting - is it the formula you've been taking or is it the formula of the company that just bought them?  

But it's not just Mylan that has a shortage.  I've been reading that there's a shortage of many drugs and not all from Mylan.  Hospitals are frustrated because they can't get the drugs they need.  I haven't read a coherent reason for so many drug companies having shortages.  They point fingers at the distributors, the retailers and everyone else but themselves.  Canada is having a real problem, too, and has for some time.  One U.S. hospital administrator commented that he's never seen anything like this drug shortage and inability to get common drugs.  I've also read that it's not profitable to make some generic drugs anymore, and let's face it, big pharma is all about profit.    I also read that a group of hospitals along with other partners are going into the business of manufacturing generics themselves.  That's how bad it is.

For people whose psychological and emotional balance is already fragile, not having a drug you depend on is a crisis.  I'm glad I have Saffron as a back up.  I've read comments by some folks that they were able to get off of antidepressants altogether by taking Saffron.  I'm not advocating that.  Great if some were able to do it, though.  

As far as Saffron goes, I take a supplement called Macuguard for my eyes and it just happens to have 20mg of Saffron in it.  It's from a company I trust.  I usually take one a day, but if I'm having a particularly bad day, I might take a second (the recommended therapeutic daily dose of Saffron for depression is 30mg).  The other ingredients in Macuguard are designed to prevent macular degeneration and are recommended by many optometrists and ophthalmologists.  

I hope the Sandoz continues to work well for you.  And if you're fed up with the psychiatrist, ditch him.  You can try another psychiatrist and it might be different, or just go back to a primary doc.

Hang in there.  One thing I've learned.  When the depression is bad, if I just hold on, it will eventually get better, even though the depression tells me it never will.  My rational brain tells me that it always HAS gotten better.

Hugs to you as another on this journey..