I have this thing going on where I can't seem to deal with it. It has been occurring for some time now and I'm starting to realize that it's really taking a toll on my day to day life. I didn't know what it was called until I looked into this disorder. I read through the symptoms and sure enough- I showed signs of OCD. So now that I have this pinned down, I don't know how to deal with it.

If I'm typing or writing something down, or even filling up my water bottle or washing my hands, I have intrusive thoughts of unpleasant things. If one of those thoughts occur while I'm doing this certain action, I have to do it again and again until I can properly write a word or fill up my water bottle without thinking about it. It's gone to the point where it's almost uncontrollable. If I'm writing or typing a word down, I have to erase it and retype it if I have one of those thoughts. Same with my water bottle, I have to dump out the water and refill it until I can get it completely filled without having one of those thoughts. And I have to do this over 3 times. 3 is an unlucky number to me- sometimes 6 is the unlucky number.

The reason I do this is because I believe that if I can't fulfill that action without having one of those thoughts, that thought will come to life and ACTUALLY occur. It's so hard on me. Which is why I take so long to do certain things. Nobody knows that this happens.

What should I do?

I don't have access to a therapist and I can't really bring myself to go to one because I just don't trust doctors of any nature. I don't like dealing with doctors- hence why I never go. Why I never schedule appointments. I'm so lost on how to handle this.

What would you guys recommend?

I'm sorry if I sound crazy or abnormal. But I have nowhere else to go. So I figured I'd heed some advice from a different perspective.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you for reading

I also experience intrusive thoughts and have researched it for awhile now because I just didn't understant it and it's really a scary thing until you know what is happening. The video's explains more then I probably can by relaying them but if you seach YT for ocd- intrusive thoughts success stories I think it will relieve a lot of the confusion and panicky feelings that your having about it. And, believe it or not it's pretty common, just not spoke about often because people feel embaressed or nervous about it (which they shouldn't). I will tell you one thing, that people who experience these thoughts actually feel the exact opposite of what the thoughts are and that is why we have them and that is why it triggers you so much. But anyway, google for youtube and watch some videos there are some really good ones out there, but be sure to search 'success stories' because I know all too well that at this point you don't need any more negative thoughts going through your head without knowing why. 

As far as seeing a doctor I totally understand, I felt the same way! But, I feel like the thoughts and feelings accompanied by it are far worse then the feeling of going to a doctor and actually getting treated be it therapy or medication which is what I'm doing now and have been for a few months. Most important thing is you find a good physician or therapist that you feel comfortable with and are able to open up and trust what they say. 

You will get through this! 

12 hours ago, SailingSoul said:

But I definitely recommend seeing a Dr.

11 hours ago, Grounded said:

Most important thing is you find a good physician or therapist that you feel comfortable with and are able to open up and trust what they say. 

Thank you both so much for getting back to me. It was nice hearing other people who can relate to the whole intrusive thought thing, and I appreciate the recommendations that were given.

Finding a doctor will not be easy. I don't think I can bring myself to go to one, much less afford or find the time for one. As much as I despise them, I'll see what I can do besides getting therapy. I know I can probably find ways to push past this, but I'll see what I have available afterwards.

Thank you both so much. I was happy to get some advice- that was all I needed 🙂 I really appreciate it!

Thanks again

23 hours ago, MaepleSyrup said:

Thank you both so much for getting back to me. It was nice hearing other people who can relate to the whole intrusive thought thing, and I appreciate the recommendations that were given.

Finding a doctor will not be easy. I don't think I can bring myself to go to one, much less afford or find the time for one. As much as I despise them, I'll see what I can do besides getting therapy. I know I can probably find ways to push past this, but I'll see what I have available afterwards.

Thank you both so much. I was happy to get some advice- that was all I needed 🙂 I really appreciate it!

Thanks again

You will do great! It's really hard at first to open up to anyone about it I agree! Especially when you don't know what is happening it can just be scary. Once you start being able to talk to someone you should start feeling some type of relief. Until you can get in to see someone I would suggest as I said earlier to watch some really good sucess stories about it and how they felt better it really does help! It did for me anyway.

Hope you feel better soon 🙂

3 hours ago, Grounded said:

You will do great! It's really hard at first to open up to anyone about it I agree! Especially when you don't know what is happening it can just be scary. Once you start being able to talk to someone you should start feeling some type of relief. Until you can get in to see someone I would suggest as I said earlier to watch some really good sucess stories about it and how they felt better it really does help! It did for me anyway.

Hope you feel better soon 🙂

Thank you, I really appreciate it 🙂