Loss of intrest

lackluster

44 minutes ago, lackluster said:

Anyone have any tips with dealing with that feeling of not wanting to do anything or have the drive to things or hobbies i enjoy? Its gotten to the point where i want to quit the job im best at doing and i used to love with alot of passion. Such a crappy feeling

Trust me, I been there so many times in my life.  Hey, just don't trust everything

that comes up in your mind but watch closely the things around you to see if

what you see around you support your thought process.  And still don't believe half

of what you see 

nothing really gives me happiness for decades now, but sometimes i try to push myself to do things that used to give me happiness. it's not as easy as it sounds, but you feel better after ...at least i do for a few hours..and then its back to misery, but thats my life.

I've been there... Depression, it's harsh at times. As lady said sometimes if you push yourself just a little bit to continue doing the things you enjoy and try to have a positive outlook about them you can train your mind to go back to enjoying them again. I think we just get stuck in a negative though process for so long that it makes everything seem negative, so I think re-training your thinking pattern towards them after awhile will start to help.

That sounds like my depression symptoms when I'm relapsing. Some kind of intervention -medicine, therapy, mindfulness practices, travelling/holiday, a combination - may be the catalyst for reconnecting with those emotions. Have you felt this way for weeks?

4 hours ago, Atra said:

That sounds like my depression symptoms when I'm relapsing. Some kind of intervention -medicine, therapy, mindfulness practices, travelling/holiday, a combination - may be the catalyst for reconnecting with those emotions. Have you felt this way for weeks?

you should probably talk to your therapist/doctor if you think it's coming back. mine is treatment resistant along with anxiety, so i pretty much force myself to do stuff, whether i want to or not, and fake things..i've felt like this for decades.. i hope you feel better soon. i'd try to talk to your doctor/therapist soon if you see them..

Hi Lackluster,

When I was a cancer patient, the saying was "Slay one dragon at a time."

Many miseries attack a person who's system is way down.

I was a functioning alcoholic most of my life.  Never snuck out for drinks and such, but evenings and weekends.  The alcohol enabled me to do most of the things I regret most in my life. 

I'd say work at the alcoholism full bore, AA meetings, any support group you can find.  Your lack of interest in life is a major result of alcoholism.  It'll be hard to address other concerns you have until you can beat it.

I wish you the best,

Bulgakov

I'm in the same boat as @ladysmurf. Treatment resistant with anxiety. It's so difficult to do anything and if you do start something, it's so easy to quit. I have to force myself to do anything and I will take it as long as I can. It's tough but maybe you should try forcing yourself into trying out new hobbies or leisure activities. It's tough but in the end, you need it to help yourself get better.

Sorry I don't have much advice. I hope you can find a way back to loving your job.

On 12/29/2018 at 8:27 AM, lackluster said:

Anyone have any tips with dealing with that feeling of not wanting to do anything or have the drive to things or hobbies i enjoy? Its gotten to the point where i want to quit the job im best at doing and i used to love with alot of passion. Such a crappy feeling

It is indeed a crappy feeling ! and I feel for you 😞 

But! That feeling is one that depression is the sneakiest with and it loves to creep up to us with it and that is the feelings of numbness and indifference. Its easy to let it settle into us and let it take over but I found that reminding ourselves that this feeling of total indifference is just another stage in depression helps. Remind yourself that its the depression creeping up and take care of yourself. Dont Quit your job I promise it will pass. You still enjoy all the things you do even if your depression wants to make you think otherwise. You are still capable of feeling joy and finding joy in your passion you are just at that stage in depression where you need a little more care towards yourself and reminder that thats the reason you feel the way you do and dont let it make yourself believe that you dont like what you enjoy. Do small things and continue to do your job. Our reaction is usually to quit everything because of it but quitting everything usually makes the slump last longer. I wish you the best and I hope that you start to feel better soon!